346/396 map detail gone/cant enter postcode

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
ianleics
Great Britain

346/396 map detail gone/cant enter postcode

Post by ianleics »

Come to use the Zumo for the first time since Aug last year, (was working fine). When I view map, (after acquiring satellites), main roads show, but no minor roads at all. Same with navigating anywhere. Also, when entering a postcode as a destination, I only have the letter 'H' available on the keyboard.
Any ideas what's happened?
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Re: 346/396 map detail gone/cant enter postcode

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum.

Quick grasp at straws.
Settings -> Map & Vehicle -> My Maps - make sure that your maps are checked and that you don't have any non-garmin maps checked.
You should have CN Europe NTU (2 of them)
Europe DEM (digital elevation)
TopoACtive PS (3 if them - Central, west, east europe
CN Europe NTU (Foursquare)

The crucial ones are the CN Europe NTU

Settings -> Map & Vehicle -> Map detail - select 'More'

Don't do this next one if your screen is super sensative. You don't want to be accidentally pressing something that you don't want.
Home Screen->View Map-> Speed button->Long press the circular speedo (10 secs)->Configuration & Settings->Change Locale - make sure that United Kingdom is selected. Be very careful in this menu - check before you select something that you do not want) If you end up with a locale that uses graphic symbols, very few of us will be able to help.

You might need to perform a full system reset - but try the above first. Settings->Device->Reset->Reset Default Settings
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ianleics
Great Britain

Post by ianleics »

Thanks for your help. I've got the two correct maps ticked, changing from normal detail to more makes no difference. So had to do a full reset. And even that hasn't made any difference. I've got only 'A' roads and railway lines showing on the map. And the odd thing where most of the keyboard is shaded out if you try to key in a destination.
Any other ideas?
sussamb
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 360 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Try using Express to reinstall the map
ianleics
Great Britain

Post by ianleics »

Tried to "re-install" maps with Garmin Express. Get the "preparing device for updates, this may take a minute". But it never goes any further, no matter how long you wait.
So did a reset by powering up the Zumo with finger on bottom right of screen. Then delete user data "Yes". Back to Express to try to reinstall maps, but same problem, it never completes the Preparing device bit.