Service Provider Needed?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Evo-Wes
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Service Provider Needed?

Post by Evo-Wes »

I would like to purchase a Garmin zumo XT but I need to know quite a bit about it beforehand.
Does a Garmin Zumo XT require an internet service account or other type of monthly fee account for the GPS to work while on the road?

Some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

1998 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI 95th
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 289 times
United States of America

Re: Service Provider Needed?

Post by Peobody »

Evo-Wes wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:15 pm Does a Garmin Zumo XT require an internet service account or other type of monthly fee account for the GPS to work while on the road?
Nope. Maps are stored on the XT. It communicates directly with satellites for location purposes. It can work in conjunction with the Garmin Drive app on a phone to provide traffic and weather info but that is not a requirement. Obviously it will bluetooth connect to a phone. It will also connect to bluetooth headsets. It has a built-in battery but you will want to hard-wire it to the bike's battery for all-day riding at full brightness.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Evo-Wes
United States of America

Post by Evo-Wes »

Thanks for the reply.
Do instructions come with the Zumo XT that illustrate how to hardwire?

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Evo-Wes wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:57 pm Do instructions come with the Zumo XT that illustrate how to hardwire?
Not bike specific instructions. If comes with a two-wire cable that can be connected directly to the battery or to any alternative power source. Whether it is best to wire to a switched source is a subject of debate here. The XT draws voltage even when off so, IMO, switched is better if you plan on leaving it on the bike. Otherwise I don't think it makes a difference.

I was fortunate in that the fuse block on my Goldwing had an accessory connection spot which made for a relatively easy switched-power connection. I say "relatively easy" because there was nothing easy about getting the wire run from the handle bars to the fuse block under the plastic. That might be easier on your Harley.

Edit: To be clear, there are good instruction for mounting the cradle, just not for the run to the power source.
Evo-Wes
United States of America

Post by Evo-Wes »

Thanks, that is good to know. I will probably wire it to an accessory, if I can figure that out. I believe my bike has a couple of open accessory locations.

simoncrewe
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Hi Wes, welcome to the forum, have a look here it should answer most of your questions https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... epage.html

With regards an internet connection, the unit itself can update both its maps & firm ware via wifi. It only needs the internet to update the Garmin Cyclops speed camera database.
Evo-Wes
United States of America

Post by Evo-Wes »

Thanks. That manual is most helpful for understanding the Zumo XT.
It looks to be a plug and play type of device. Connecting to my network will be easy for the updates and such.
I'll spend some time this morning reading through the manual.

jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I should add some additional bits and pieces.

The unit comes with maps - for a particualar local area. So the Zumo XT LM for USA and the Zumo XT LM for the UK will be the same hardware, but will be configured differently.

LM means Lifetime Maps. But only for the region in which it is sold. USA Zumos will have maps for the USA. UK Zumos will have maps for the whole of Europe. This is important if you are thinking of buying a second hand XT off the internet. Make sure you ask the question - which maps are installed on it ?

Maps are updated free of charge. They are downloaded from the internet - either by using your phone's data /wifi or by using a computer with internet access and a USB cable. You use a program called Garmin Express to install map updates and other software updates. Garmin Express is free to download form the Garmin site and free to use.

However, if you are in the USA, you only get updates for USA maps. If you want to come to the UK, then you get to pay for any additional maps that you need. And if I (in the UK) wanted USA mapping, I'd have to pay for that. Thats important for buying second hand - if you find it is an XT for a different region. You'll have to pay for the correct maps to be able to use it. And they are expensive - especially when you consider that you should have had them free.

There are some features available on the XT which do require additional purchases - but they are separate things - which require additional hardware which many people just ignore. Like Garmin Power Switch and Inreach staellite tracking.

The XT is intended to be used with a program called Explore, and when setting it up, it suggests that you have to initiate this facility.
I would suggest that you resist that temptation until you have found out how to use it at a basic level. For some people Explore is the bees knees. For others (like me) much of it is stuff that I do not want. It is easy to set up later. It is not difficult, but a pain, to disable it once it is set up.

Explore needs a Garmin account to be set up. This is free. It allows the XT to use your phone to talk to your account on the Garmin Servers. You can plan routes and tracks and waypoints on a notepad, phone or a computer and the system will automatically synchronise with your XT - so they just appear in the appropriate resource apps.

For this to work, you need an app called Garmin Drive to be on your phone. This too is free, and this is quite impressive. It provides a link between the outside world and your XT. It collects traffic info, weather, road closures, and on Android phones eaven filters the messages, emails and alerts which can be passed through to display on the XT screen. It also handles any files that you care to email to your phone - and if they are gpx files that contain routes, tracks, waypoints then you can get it to send them to your Zumo.

The Zumos handle pone calls. You put the zumo in between your phone and your headset so the headset is connected to the XT. The phone is connected to the XT. So the XT has access to your messages and phone book, and you can make calls from the XT screen.

There is no wired connection to a headset. IT is all done by BT - so if you want to here music, phone calls, navigation instructions you need to get a headset that will connect by BT. You can buy very simple ones - as long as the earbuds fit inside your helmet, or state of the art helmet units like the Cardo or Senna devices. If you have wired headsets already - like (say) an autocom - then you need to buy a Bluetooth Module to transfer the sound in and out between headset and Zumo.

The only other thing that you may need is some mapping software. Explore is free, but it provides a different solution from the one that many people want. Garmin Basecamp is old, no longer supported or developed by Garmin - but it does everything that the XT needs to produce trouble free routing. You will hear a lot of negative comments about it - mainly from people who have heard negative comments about it. Those of us that use it realise how excellent it is. And it is free from Garmin.

You will probably find this useful at some point . Its worth flicking through just to see the pictures.

viewtopic.php?t=1464
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:37 pm THe only other thing that you may need is some mapping software. Explore is free, but it provides a different solution form the one that most people want. Garmin Basecamp is old, no longer supported or developed by Garmin - but it does everything that the XT needs to produce trouble free routing. You will hear a lot of negative comments about it - mainly from people who have heard negative comments about it. Those of us that use it realise how excellent it is. And it is free from Garmin.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. If you plan on creating your own routes rather than just riding the roads the GPS tells you to then a mapping product is a must. Many complain about how difficult Basecamp is to use. I found it easy to begin creating routes after following a single tutorial. Basecamp is highly flexible in the route creation process and this forum is a great source for tips and tricks. Some I incorporated into my process and some I tried and discarded. Its flexibility is a plus to me because I like having options so as to determine the one that best fits me.
Evo-Wes
United States of America

Post by Evo-Wes »

This information that you fellows provide is not being wasted. I have so much more of an understanding of the Zumo XT that I feel confident that this device will be extremely useful to me and just what I need.

I have seen the Garmin GPS mentioned many times on the Harley Davidson Forums. This piqued my interest. With the information that you are providing I feel confident and will now make the leap and acquire the XT model.

I haven't yet finished reading all that has been posted. That is going to take a couple of days.