setting route preferences inside each planned trip

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: setting route preferences inside each planned trip

Post by jfheath »

JeanDuVar wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:55 am I even had the opportunity to plug the ZumoXT into a Windows PC and to enter system files (can't remember which ones right now), then I could configurate the width and the color of wether (either ?) the route or the track, so that the route (wider) is seen "under" the track (thiner). Very pleasant, actually.
Yes - those are the theme files kmtf - they are in the Internal Storage/Themes/Map folder. Best to copy one and name it something different before editing.

This line at the bottom of the Garmin.kmtf file is the schange that I made for a slightly wider track.
<STYLE field = "MAP_TRK_CLR" scale = "3.00" >
The 3.00 had previously been 1.00 - and works well if the Zumo shows medium sized track widths.

The name of the theme that needs to be altered is at the top of the file.
<GARMIN_MAP_THEME>
<METADATA>
<TITLE>JFH Garmin</TITLE>
<DESCRIPTION>JFH Garmin Theme</DESCRIPTION>
<CREATOR>JFH - Garmin</CREATOR>
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The street view I am referring to is on the Google Maps website. Is that the one that was banned in Germany, and is now poor? If so, that is unfortunate. It is a very handy tool during route planning. Lately they've gone overboard with blurring of images. I am happy that they blur faces but I am increasingly seeing many identifying signs on buildings that are blurred. I wonder if Google is intentionally blurring the sign of any business that is not providing business data.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:18 pm The street view I am referring to is on the Google Maps website. Is that the one that was banned in Germany, and is now poor? If so, that is unfortunate.
Yes, that's the one. But also Google Earth (Pro), they use the same data. This is a picture of the area. On the left you see Netherlands and Belgium/Luxemburg. On the Right you see Germany.
On the right the 'blue lines' (Roads that have streetview) are not so dense.
gmaps.jpg
gmaps.jpg (703.81 KiB) Viewed 864 times
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've just looked for the place to which I was referring in Titisee. 11 years ago I remember using street view to 'drive' down the road - clicking along the blue line. The street signing making it clear it was pedestrians only but giving permission for hotel guests to drive and park in hotle car parks was crystal clear before - so I was able to read it and translate it.

Although I can move the yellow man to any location on the road and get a street view image, There are no blue lines - so it is impossible to drive along the road to get the next image along. Also, the street sign is rather fuzzy. It is not very easy to make out the words now . I don't know if this is deliberate, or if it is just that the focus was set for further down the street.

I wonder why they did this. A security issue perhaps ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:23 pm Also, the street sign is rather fuzzy. It is not very easy to make out the words now . I don't know if this is deliberate, or if it is just that the focus was set for further down the street.

I wonder why they did this. A security issue perhaps ?
That fuzziness is what I was seeing last week, but earlier today when I used it, the only 'fuzzy' I saw was faces. I could not duplicate the fuzzy sign issue although I don't recall exactly where I was looking last week. The odd thing remains that only selective signs were fuzzy.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:23 pm I wonder why they did this. A security issue perhaps ?
I think more a privacy issue.
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

I've come upon a planning challenge that relates closely to the content in this thread. I have a BMW R1250 GS and, up to this point, all of my routes have been on pavement. As such, one of my checked Road Type Avoidances has been Unpaved Roads. I have many routes planned this way. Now, I am ready to include easy packed dirt/gravel and US Forest Service roads in order to open up some new experiences. I understand that changing the avoidances in my Motorcycle profile will cause the recalculation of all my previous routes. I don't want to do that. I thought about two options that might allow me to have a different profile for these new "ADV" trips:

1) Repurpose the Car setting - essentially duplicate my current Motorcycle settings but allow for Unpaved Roads in both the Zumo XT and BaseCamp. I would have to manually switch the Zumo XT to Car, presumably before I loaded the ADV route so as not to trigger recalculation. I understand that it would stay in Car mode on subsequent bootups so I'd need to switch it back to use a route created with a Motorcycle setting.

2) Revise Motorcycle setting on Zumo XT before transferring routes - this would entail unchecking the Unpaved Roads setting in the Zumo XT before transferring the routes. I'd also want to recheck this box before transfer a pavement-only route.

Thoughts on whether this could work?

Thanks to this forum I now transfer Tracks as a check and backup. It would be so nice if the Zumo XT could recognize a custom setting and its associated avoidances.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Consider using a custom route profile in the routes that you want to allow unpaved roads. The settings for doing this are in the route options tab of a route's properties. I think it will make sense once you look at it. AFAIK, the unpaved road choice is transferred. The question someone else will need to answer is whether you will need to enable unpaved roads in the XT so that they will be considered should a recalc occur.
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

That's exactly what I've done so far. My "ADV Riding" profile differs from Motorcycle only by unchecking Unpaved Roads. Based on my understanding the route would transferred exactly but then would be recalculated because my Motorcycle profile in the Zumo XT does not allow for Unpaved Roads. If I changed this in the Zumo XT beforehand it seems like it should work.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-20 095919.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-20 095919.jpg (75.17 KiB) Viewed 537 times
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

We know that your ADV Riding custom profile will not be recognized by the XT so I believe it will import the route using its Motorcycle profile. That is just my suspicion. Do you know whether the unpaved roads option is honored by the XT upon import of an ADV Riding route? If not, I think a test is in order. Create two duplicate test routes that contain an unpaved road. Use the ADV Riding profile on one and a None profile on the other (create it using the Motorcycle profile and then enable unpaved roads in the route options tab). Transfer them to the XT and see what the resulting routes look like once imported.