How do I do the mimport fix using the XT?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

How do I do the mimport fix using the XT?

Post by Peobody »

How do I do the mimport fix using the XT? I did it once. I can't figure it out now. I thought @jfheath had posted the procedure but I can't find that either. I must be having a senior hour. Help please.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: How do I do the mimport fix using the XT?

Post by FrankB »

@Peobody
You knew it, it's just a test :D if were still there!

Here are all the tools listed:
https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2323

The trick on the XT is to first start the trip, and then go back to 'Trip Planner' , and save the 'Active route'. Originally posted on:
https://www.ukgser.com/community/thread ... st-5242062
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks @FrankB.

Know how starting a trip works, does it affect the Save and future use if I select the starting point as the entry point but that starting is hundreds of miles away from my current location? I am thinking that it shouldn't since the next use will be from a location close to the starting point but wanted to check considering those extra hundreds of miles in the route at Save time.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Not sure if I understand your question, so just a general advice.

- Use that method just before you start the route, in case you had forgotten to fix the trip using one of the other methods, and dont have a computer at your disposal. It's fairly quick for 1 route, it will be less than a minute

- Despite having said that, should you feel the need to fix a trip that starts far from your current location, then I suggest you use the 'Simulator' to put the XT on the location you want.

Edit: Reading you previous reply a few times, I think I understand. The answer is that 'My Active route' also contains the route from your current location to the start of the route. At least the times I used it. If I remember well the saved route starts from 'GPS Coordinates'.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:38 pm Edit: Reading you previous reply a few times, I think I understand. The answer is that 'My Active route' also contains the route from your current location to the start of the route. At least the times I used it. If I remember well the saved route starts from 'GPS Coordinates'.
That is what I was concerned about so that answers my question. Thanks again!
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

For my own peace of mind, I just checked a trip that starts far from your current position.

Using the simulator:
1) Enable the GPS Simulator in Navigation
2) (Virtually) put the XT on the location you want. See: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewto ... tor#p15186
3) Start the trip. Choose 'Beginning' or 'Closest Entry Point', Whatever suits you best.
4) Start the route. Tip: Answer NO to 'Do you want to simulate'. If you say Yes, the bike will start moving, and you have to do the next steps quickly.
5) Go back to the Trip Planner and save 'My Active Route' with a name you like.
6) You can now stop the route.

Without using the simulator:
The saved route will start from your current position to the original start of the route.

If you look at the saved route in the trip planner you will see the starting (1st) point is called 'Coordinates' (Not 'GPS Coordinates' as I said earlier)
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 626 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Because you can do it on the XT itself, you don't have to do it at home. It can become part of the morning or evening routine before you set off.

Just make sure (as always) that your start point is further ahead from where you will get on your bike. eg if you are at a hotel in a town, plot the start point on the road you want to be on after leaving the town.

If you do it in the comfort of your home using the method that @Frankb described to simulate your position, I would suggest locating the bike somewhere between your hotel and the start - just in case you forget and select the extra point at the start, rather than the original start point.

I think that it is always a good idea to create your key route points as Waypoints with names that you can recognise.

I like to use sequence numbers eg 01 Hotel Exit - Start. This is because the XT will probably alter the names of many of your route points when it imports the route. Some of the new names make sense, but if you are in an unknown area it will likely come up with a name that you have never heard of. Accurate, but not very informative. eg you may not know where Cerrigydrudion is on the map, but you know precisely where 147 Coffee Stop is. Its a cafe on your route 147 miles from the start. The Zumo will not alter the names of any Waypoints that you create and save before including them in the route. You add the mileage figure after the route has been completed from the route list in BC
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

There's one obvious remark, in fact so obvious that I forgot to make it. But it could answer questions, so here it goes.

We've established that a saved trip begins with 'Coordinates', and the next VIA point is the original Start. Depending on the location when you saved the trip, that segment (From Coordinates to Start) can either be short, or very long. If it is a long stretch, you probably dont want that included in your trip, hence the solution with the Simulator. But for small distances it doesn't matter. Because the original Start point is saved as VIA point in the trip, you can always select that point (Or even 'Closest Entry Point') when actually starting the trip.

Of course it's up to anyone to decide what is 'Small' and what is 'Long'.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 626 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Here is a video showing how to convert an imported route into a saved route - just using the XT screen. The process is described above already but this is what it looks like on the screen.

Just an additional tool, and already described above. But to use this, all you need is your XT in your hand.

Just be aware that the XT needs to calculate a route from where you are now to the first point of the route - so if your route is on another continent, or or even a hundred miles away, you may want to leave this until the night before you set off.

Alternatively, you can turn the GPS receiver off (in the navigation menu), place a point on the map near to the start of your route (don't save it) and then use the XT scroll down menu on the left of the map to 'Set Location'.

One video, but it is in two sections.
1. Nobbling the route so that it is 'Saved' rather than 'Imported'
2. Loading the 'Saved' route and saying 'Go!'.

Step 2 starts at 2:40 ish.

Someone on YouTube reported that the sound was barely audible. I hadn't noticed - so thanks for that - I've managed to amplify the sound channel and re-upload it.

Just in case the new one hasn't finished processing, the old link is here. https://youtu.be/SmKiUb2-mqE
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.