Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: How to see shaping point on map while navigating

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:13 pm
jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:30 am If so, then you need to be aware of an issue with transferring routes from Basecamp to the XT. It will change the names that you give to your points unless you first created them with the waypoint 'flag' tool.
I have seen numerous references to the XT changing the names of points but I have never experienced it. The above comment has me wondering what other method there is to create points in Basecamp other than the waypoint 'flag' tool, unless this name change issue is only associated with shaping points.
I'm surprised if you have not noticed it.

There are a number of ways that you can create a route point in Basecamp. The most common are
  1. Create and save the point FIRST as a Waypoint using the flag tool. This does not put it into the route, but it makes it available to use in a route later.
  2. Use the route tool to creat a route ad click where you want your route points. Some of these may land on known points (ie Garmin's saved Waypoints. Some may have a known label and will become Via Points by default, some will land on unknown points and be set as sahping points by default.
  3. Modify an existing route using the Insert tool. This is the one that I use most frequently, as it is the one that is most forgiving. I tend to make a few Waypoints (stopping places). Multi-select and create a route suing the selected route waypoints, and then use the insert tool to 'rubber band' new points onto the roads that I want. The dropped points can be affected in the same way as described when uing the route tool.
Points that are created as Waypoints in Basecamp will never get changed.
Whether a point is a shaping point or a Via Point has no effect on whether the XT changes its name.
It seems as though the name is changed if the XT recognises the location from its internal database. If it does, it changes it to that. If it doesn't it keeps the name that you give it.

I have illustrated this on this page - and provided a description. app.php/ZXT-P09 I notice the issue because I like to put numbers in from of my place names - so that I have a sequence. That number invariably disappears. Sometimes the name is the same as what appears in Basecamp, but the county initials (eg CMA for Cumbria) are added. Odd that, I didn't know that we had 3 letter codes for our counties.

My comment in an earlier post, that I was unsure about - turns out to be incorrect. I will go back and change it. I said that maybe the name doesn't change if the route is saved as a GPX file and then saved onto SD card. It does change it.

Here is an example I have just used. A BC screen shot of a route. I have changed all of the names of the route points.

THe GPX file is attached. Load it into your Zumo. You will see that every name has been altered.
These were all plotted on know locations ont he BC map, so they are probably in the Zumoss database too. Nevertheless, the get changed.
(Yes they are all Via points, but it wouldn't make any difference if they were shaping points. In the link above, some of the points there were Via points, they were changed. Some of the points (Via and Shaping) were first created as Waypoints. None of those were changed.

BC Name Change.jpg
BC Name Change.jpg (26.92 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Attachments
Test Route Name Change.gpx
(138.4 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I just compared several routes on the XT with their Basecamp versions and the Via Point names are all the same, even ones with sequentially numbered Via points like your example. I transfer my routes using the "Send To" function in Basecamp (XT connected).
CD Cabin BC Via points list.JPG
CD Cabin BC Via points list.JPG (69.7 KiB) Viewed 574 times
CD Cabin XT Via points list.png
CD Cabin XT Via points list.png (191.14 KiB) Viewed 574 times
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@jfheath Hi John, Have you tried clearing the subclass to '00ff'? My experience is that that stops renaming the Via/Shaping points.

See attached GPX, that has cleared subclasses. It does not rename.
index.jpg
index.jpg (203.42 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Attachments
Test Route Name Change_Cleared.gpx
(137.1 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - I tried that when I discovered that the MRA routes don't change the name. Its what got me onto the subclass coding issue in the first place.

But its not a solution that is suitable for everyone. And I don't do it either - If the name is important to me, I just create them as saved waypoints first - then use them to construct the route and set them to be shaping or via as I want.

I thought you'd gone off somewhere ?

@Peobody - aren't all those point in your route 'Waypoints' ? Unless you have deliberately changed the symbol, Waypoints show up in the Basecamp route with the flag symbol (some other symbol). Other route points do not use the flag by default they tend to show as small 'periods' or 'bullet points' in the route list. Its not a hard and fast rule because they can be changed afterwards.

Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:50 pm But its not a solution that is suitable for everyone.
Agree it's not for everyone.
jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:50 pm I thought you'd gone off somewhere ?
That was yesterday.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

FrankB wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:52 pm That was yesterday.
Oh, and it's today now ? Welcome back !

Zumo XT & BC Link

Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:50 pm @Peobody - aren't all those point in your route 'Waypoints' ? Unless you have deliberately changed the symbol, Waypoints show up in the Basecamp route with the flag symbol (some other symbol). Other route points do not use the flag by default they tend to show as small 'periods' or 'bullet points' in the route list. Its not a hard and fast rule because they can be changed afterwards
No all, but most. One is a restaurant added to the route from search results. Perhaps I need an explanation about what points you are referring to when experiencing a name change.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks for the update.

I have yet to find out which points get changed by the XT. Some do. Some don't. And it seems to be random.
It has nothing to do with whether they are set as Via Points or Shaping Points.
It may be to do with whether there is a known point in the XT's database that is close by. But since I cannot know whats in the database ...

BUT - I do know that if any point has been created as a Waypoint in Basecamp (eg with the flag tool), then the name never gets changed.

So if I want to keep the name that I used, then I create them first as Waypoints and get BC to build the route from them. The last thing I do is set most of them as non alerting (shaping points) and retain just a small number of Vias.

Points obtained from search results in Basecamp may be waypoints. They fit the criteria: saved beforehand and often contain additional info such as address and phone number. It is very difficult to know which route points are waypoints and which are not from the route list that you displayed. However, in Basecamp, if a point shows up in the lower left pane, along with your route and tracks, then it is a saved waypoint. Points that are not waypoints do not show up there. It is the only way that I know for sure - without inspecting the GPX file.
For anyone looking in that has become used to other software.

It is common for people and other routing software to use the term 'waypoint' to mean any point that the user has placed to create a route.
MyRouteApp does this, as does most other navigation software.

Garmin have their own very precise definition for a Waypoint. You can look it up, but a Waypoint is a point that has been created and saved so that it may be used in future routes. So locations in the Basecamp library are nearly all pre-saved locations. They may have addresses, phone numbers and other data associated with them.

Some people may call these POIs - Points of Interest - but Garmin uses POIs differently as well. Garmin's POIs can be saved with a boundary radius so that an audio file is played when you get within the boundary. Speed cameras fall into this category, but I have seen them used in electronic tour guides which you keep with you and as you wander around, a recording is played as you approach a particular point of interest, worthy of a commentary.

This confusion isn't Garmin's fault. They have been around much longer than many other routing and mapping prigrams.

Zumo XT & BC Link