How to see shaping point on map while navigating

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

Re: How to see shaping point on map while navigating

Post by Mikul »

I also usually use English, because translations are done by people not related to a given industry, only "ordinary" translators, I know something about it because I'm from IT :)
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

Bingo! I analyzed one of the routes and thanks to FrankB's suggestion I found one of the places that caused me a lot of problems.
Zumo told me to get off the highway and then told me to come back on it, the problem was that I had to pass the toll booths, but they did not issue a ticket, they did not have the option to pay by card, they wanted cash, and we didn't have that :(.
Blue shaping Point are visible, I didn't see it while driving. Now I wanted to correct this route in XT, but finding this point is not easy, because the points have only GPS coordinates in the name, I found it by counting them, because in the turn map it had number 16 This year, I have a more longer route than 5000km to cover, I will have to analyze each of the stage designed in MRA, but most of them, due to such errors, I will design in Basecamp.

I took screenshots to show the problem, unfortunately the attachments (.png format) added to the post are displayed as green or grey rectangles :(
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

screenshots publication problem solved - had to use Chrome instead of Firefox
Attachments
1.42148.png
1.42148.png (321.73 KiB) Viewed 786 times
2.319684.png
2.319684.png (285.77 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Last edited by Mikul on Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks for posting the result. Good Luck.
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

@FrankB, thank you very much.
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Creating shaping points and via points in MRA:

app.php/ZXT-P72a

When you prepare the GPX file from MRA, Be sure to select gpx v1.1 (route, track,poi)
That will include the shaping points, but leaves the route calculation to the XT

If you use gpx v1.2, then that contains a route that the XT does not need to calculate, but it strips out all of the shaping points, leaving just the via points. But to be of any use you must turn off autorecalc. If the XT does recalculate, it has no shaping points to work with, so the route will be very different.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Mikul wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:58 pm screenshots problem solved - had to use Chrome instead of Firefox
Oh, I see now. My suggestion:

NEVER place points in an intersection or (in your picture) a highway interchange. The 595 model would sometimes mess up and do something stupid like that and the XT for some reason seems much worse at it. I place my points well past the intersection/interchange so this problem doesn't appear.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

@jfheath thank you very much for the hints, I always send routes in 1.1 format, and I turned off the reaclulation,(edit- sometimes I turn it on and after asking earlier) in Garmins 6 years ago, and not only in Zumo but also in my hiking devices, Oregon, in the Edge bicycle and even in the Fenix ​​watch. It always returns to the route on its own, there were sporadic cases when I turned on the recalculation only when I had to take an unknown detour on the route.

@rbentnail
Thank you for the hint, I know this principle very well, as I wrote, I have been using garmin for many years. I also wrote that this route was made by MRA, not me in Basecamp, not Zumo alone.
This thread was created because I did not see the blue dots of Shping Point during navigation, because if I had seen them, I would not have done so many maneuvers, and as I also wrote, in Albania the route from the MRA (via Shaping point) directed me to a bridge that had been broken for 20 years.
This behavior happened several times. Just don't advise me to browse the routes and look for MRA misplaced points when you're on a month long trip and the next stages are created in the app on your phone a few hours before departure. That's why I need to see the blue Shaping Point
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry, I've just come back to this and spotted something that you said about using Basecamp.

Earlier, you said something about the route point names. They seem to be important to you. (They are to me too).

If so, then you need to be aware of an issue with transferring routes from Basecamp to the XT. It will change the names that you give to your points unless you first created them with the waypoint 'flag' tool.

It does not do this If you first create a Gpx file in Basecamp and put that into the gpx folder in internal storage or onto the SD card
And I don't think that it happens if you transfer to the SD card - but check that out because I am not certain.

Edit - Oops. Sorry - yes it does change them even whent he file is saved as a GPX and placed in either location - Internal Storage or the SD card.
I thought that I had verified that it didn't in a test about 18 months ago - because I noticed that MRA routes didn't have their names changed.
I wonder if Garmin's XT software has changed since ? Most odd.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 286 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:30 am If so, then you need to be aware of an issue with transferring routes from Basecamp to the XT. It will change the names that you give to your points unless you first created them with the waypoint 'flag' tool.
I have seen numerous references to the XT changing the names of points but I have never experienced it. The above comment has me wondering what other method there is to create points in Basecamp other than the waypoint 'flag' tool, unless this name change issue is only associated with shaping points.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.