New software available. Anyone know anything about it?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

New software available. Anyone know anything about it?

Post by Peobody »

This morning my XT is showing a software update available (I currently have 6.50). No joy with finding anything about it via an internet search nor did a find any kind of Garmin firmware release notes log. Does anyone know anything about it or how to find out about it?

Edit: I have edited the subject of this post replacing the word "firmware" with "software".
Last edited by Peobody on Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: New firmware available. Anyone know anything about it?

Post by Stu »

Its just a time zone map and just says emergency update

Its not a software/firmware update as such in that it would help with bugs etc
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks Stu. I was unsure whether hitting the "Software" button would display details or directly initiate the update.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:21 pm Thanks Stu. I was unsure whether hitting the "Software" button would display details or directly initiate the update.
I did it through garmin express and so far no one has died :lol:
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:21 pm I did it through garmin express and so far no one has died :lol:
Using GE...Living on the edge!

I didn't know a software update could be done with GE. I thought it only updated maps.
I love this forum. I learn something with almost every visit.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:07 pm
Stu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:21 pm I did it through garmin express and so far no one has died :lol:
Using GE...Living on the edge!

I didn't know a software update could be done with GE. I thought it only updated maps.
I love this forum. I learn something with almost every visit.
I prefer a cable connection and besides doesn't the Zumo require it to be plugged in to a charger before it will update too? so its far easier for me to just plug it in to my computer and update via GE
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: New software available. Anyone know anything about it?

Post by jfheath »

I don't allow the XT to connect and update through a wifi connection, and always use Express.

When using Express, BEFORE you select the option to update, you can display a screen of information showing a few additional details. I have been maintaining a thread of those screens - the ones that I remembered to capture - here :

viewtopic.php?p=7892#p7892

The terms firmware and software seem to have become confused in recent years from their original definitions - probably partly as a result of the availability of random access memory that retains its contents even when power is lost.

My understanding was that firmware was the stuff that is built into the hardware of the device, and which is not normally alterable simply by loading in a new version. Changes would normally require 'flashing' the relevant special read only memory (Eprom, Earom or whatever else they have developed since I lost touch with this stuff). The sort of thing that you might do to the BIOS of your computer, or your network router just once in a blue moon. It is always available and doesn't need to be loaded into active memory each time the device is turned on.
Software was the stuff that needs to be loaded into the device's memory before the system can work - like a computer's operating system - Windows or iOS or Android.

But things change and I am no longer up to date with this stuff.

Garmin always refer to their updates (currently 6.50) as software - but you have to search for both 'firmware' or 'software' if you want to find answers to questions on forums, as most people would not know the distinction

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Stu wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:28 pm I prefer a cable connection and besides doesn't the Zumo require it to be plugged in to a charger before it will update too? so its far easier for me to just plug it in to my computer and update via GE
AFAIK all Garmin devices that update over Wifi have to be plugged into power to update. Reason for that is that if the battery goes flat part way through an update the unit will be toast.