Power outage and screen brightness

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
Keropi76
Been liked: 1 time
Canada

Power outage and screen brightness

Post by Keropi76 »

Hi I've been having a problem lately with my Zumo for the past few months the power supply has been cutting out from the motorcycle and coming back within a few seconds. It usually takes about 15 to 20 minutes before it starts happening after I started my bike. I've reinstalled the GPS completely making sure I was properly connected to a 12-volt auxiliary power. I've also been having problems with the screen brightness all of a sudden the screen becomes darker than the settings for a minute or two and eventually goes back to preset brightness.

I am thinking of ordering a new power cable but would like any input before doing so. Can anybody shed some light thank you
alan sh
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times
Great Britain

Re: Power outage and screen brightness

Post by alan sh »

Is the satnav loose in the mount? So it disconnects when you go over a bump?
Alan
Owner of 3 Zumo 660's, one 346 and 2 bikes
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Screen issue is probably connected to the power issue, as all Garmins unless they've been set to be the same have different brightness settings depending on whether running off external power or battery.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 pm Screen issue is probably connected to the power issue, as all Garmins unless they've been set to be the same have different brightness settings depending on whether running off external power or battery.
This is possible??
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:19 pmYes
Care to elaborate? Web search shows no mention and my manual says nothing about it.

Brightness1.JPG
Brightness1.JPG (20.55 KiB) Viewed 3517 times

And in several places
Brightness2.JPG
Brightness2.JPG (18.27 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Just try it and you'll see. Maybe the XT doesn't but all other Garmins I've used do. See here

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=W ... oZBV7oLJn5
lather
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by lather »

I have 5 bikes and 3 of them are wired for my Zumo 390. The mount I have had the longest developed the disconnect issue after a couple of years. It gradually got to the point it would disconnect every few miles. I think vibration and/or road bumps have worn the mounting surfaces enough that there is some free play. I have cured the problem by shimming the connection with a strip of electrical tape.
ZumoTouge
Has liked: 1 time
Australia

Post by ZumoTouge »

Exact same set of problems here.
Did you find a solution?
Ramrod
United States of America

Post by Ramrod »

Last year I had the exact same power outages on my 'New' Zumo 595 unit that was hard wired to the battery. Random on and off after about 15 minutes of riding my motorcycle on paved roads. After several repeat assembly and disassembly to the Garmin mounting plate and adjusting the mounting pins in case of a bad assembly connection for power transfer, I discovered the problem of the random on and off situation. It was the Garmin supplied electrical fuse that was installed into the wiring harness by the factory. Although to the human eye the fuse looked good and thru the clear glass fuse, I believe the internal fuse wire was not properly attached. The problem would start after the motorcycle was running for 15 - 20 minutes. Perhaps a crack in the cold solder joint connection or an expanded connection from the heat generated off the motorcycle. After putting in a replacement fuse, the problem went away. Try this simple fix to your situation.
Reference my motorcycle is a 2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe.