New Firmware

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Re: New Firmware

Post by Milu23771 »

Sorry, I ask a new question to the more experienced. I had some collections in my Explore containing tracks, waypoints and routes. Once synchronized with the Zumo XT, the Trip Planner crashed, showing the blue loading wheel always moving and preventing the calculation of any routes already saved and the loading of new ones. I then realized that the crash was caused by the routes imported from Explore. Once we deleted the routes on the Explore site, everything fell into place. However, the problem does not occur with traces. Has anyone noticed something similar on their device? And how could I solve it?
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I have had weird behaviour after using the explore site.
I had a track and a few waypoints on Explore.
These synced with and were available on the XT
Next time I went in the Waypoints could not be shown on the map.

I gave up and did something else, and discovered that Mp3 music was playing slowly - very slowly- and would stop and start at random.

other odd behaviour was related to recognising key presses befor my finger reached the screen.

I reset the XT.

Tried again. Almost the same behaviour. Waypoints, No waypoints and then teh Zumo acted as if keypresses were being made and letters entered into text boxes on the XT. The XT was in my desk with me nowhere near it.

Reset again. I've not investigated again since.

My feeling is that it has something to do with Explore, but that may not be the case. It might be interference with the BT connection, for example, when synching. Nothing proved as yet. Ive got other things to do at the moment.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Plainmad
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Plainmad »

Thanks jfheath so I don’t think it’s anything to do with the distance of the route as this is one I’ve done before and I’ve only noticed the difference since the firmware upgrade.
It only seems to take ages when the route is first downloaded to the phone and added to the trip planner automatically for the first time.

Re waypoint and via point that is my bad for using the incorrect terminology. I meant changing a shaping point to a via point.

The only thing I haven’t done since the upgrade is reset the unit to factory settings. Might try that to see if it works
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Plainmad wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:27 am

Re waypoint and via point that is my bad for using the incorrect terminology. I meant changing a shaping point to a via point.

The only thing I haven’t done since the upgrade is reset the unit to factory settings. Might try that to see if it works
No problem - even tech support do that. I just didn't understand what you were trying to change to what.
Shaping to Via works just fine. Via to Shaping not so - (it seems to relocate onto an alternative faster route if there is one).

Factory reset is a good place to start when it goes wonky. If you want the archive files, then save them first. It may delete them.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ELa
Been liked: 1 time
Austria

Post by ELa »

Flyboy65 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 pm After updating firmware to 6.1, I get an error message saying "there was a problem communicating with Zumo XT. An error occured while reading the following file(s): GPX/current.gpx".
Can anyone guide me through what I should be looking at to solve this issue.
I analyzed the current.gpx file with Notepad++ and realized that the XML was not correct syntactically - somewhere in the middle of the file the <rte> tags were not closed any more...

Deleting the file, then disconnecting the device and reconnecting DOES NOT change anything, it seems to be a bug in the new 6.1 firmware.

After having added the missing </rte> tags and updated the file on the Zumo XT I restarted Basecamp WITHOUT disconnecting and reconnecting the device. The current.gpx error didn't appear any more BUT most routes and waypoints were missing... messy, unusable. And, btw, waypoints and routes couldn't be deleted from Basecamp.

I fear we have to wait for a new firmware version.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

ELa wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:04 pm
Deleting the file, then disconnecting the device and reconnecting DOES NOT change anything, it seems to be a bug in the new 6.1 firmware.

I fear we have to wait for a new firmware version.
Not necessarily. The system needs current.gpx and if it isn't there, it creates a new one, sometimes restoring its content from a copy held in some location (unknown to me).

To get rid of it, you have to perform a rain dance. This often works for me.

Favourites are created in the Zumo XT when a route is transferred to internal memory. They are sifted out from the Waypoints that are recorded in the route file. (Note that Garmin defines a Waypoint as a point of interest that is created and saved for future use. This is not the same as the way that Tyre uses the term waypoint.)

You may wish to take copies of stuff you are about to delete, in case you want to put it back. You could do this from within Basecamp.

On the Zumo XT

Turn off Wifi
Settings->WIreless Networks->Wi-Fi->Untick
(Zumo XT now communicates in both directions with the Explore account. So info stored on you Zumo could be copied - including any errors. I am not user yet how this behaves, but you don't wont any erroneous data being transferred back).

Delete Favourites
Where To->Favourites->3 bar menu->Delete Favourites

Delete History
Where To->History->3 bar menu->Clear

Delete Imported Routes
Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips->Spanner->Delete Trips->Select All

Delete Tracks
Apps->Tracks->Select the top tab on the right hand side, not the bottom one->Spanner->Delete

Without turning the Zumo off, Connect the Zumo to the PC via the USB cable. Let it connect.

Access the Internal Storage/GPX folder
Delete Current.gpx
Delete Temp.gpx

Unplug the USB cable, turn the Zumo on and let it start.
Power the Zumo down by holding down the power button until the red Off button appears to turn off the device and select that.
Turn the Zumo on again.

(That is two restarts. Just occasionally, I have noticed that 2 restarts are required for certain things to come into effect. It may not be necessary, but with unknown problems it is worth doing).

Check whether there are any files to import (there should be none)
Check whether there are any Saved Trip (should be none)
Check whether there are any Favourites and History (should be none)

Now see if the problem remains. My feeling is that the issue has nothing to do with Garmin.

---------------------------------

Note - if you use the SD card, then do this AND delete routes and Waypoint files from the GPX folder on the SD card OR take out the SD card.

Note 2. There are now no favourites in internal memory. If you have put and Waypoint files on the SD card, the Zumo will not find them until you have at least one favourite saved in internal memory. Just tap the map to create a blue flag and save it. That will make any favourites on the SD card become visible to the Zumo.

Note 3 - if you use wifi to connect to the Explore pages, you will need to turn on Wifi again after this.

Note 4 - There is often a lot of data between the <rte> and </rte> tags. I'm sure that you are aware of this - but they can be difficult to spot, especially if the </rte> tag is added to the end of a long line.

Note 5 - A surefire way of retrieving the situation is to perform a complete system reset - return it to factory condition.
Main Screen->View Map->Speed button, bottom left->Press and Hold the circular speed display top centre. 10 seconds.->Clear all user data.
But the above is a good way of clearing out data without having to reconfigure you device.

ELa
Austria

Post by ELa »

Thank you, jfheath, for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as all my routes and waypoints are only on my Zumo XT, and as mentioned they don't show up in Basecamp anymore, I can't backup them via Basecamp. So deleting them on the Zumo will have me reenter all of them in Basecamp. Do you know of different way of backing them up?

Thanks!

Mod note: I've deleted your quote of the post above yours. It's really not necessary when you're replying and simply clutters up the thread, particularly when the post you're quoting is a long one.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Favourites:

Whereto->Favourites->Share->Memory Card (Suggest using a new card, so they do not get confused with whatever is on your SD card.)

Routes/Trips
Apps->Trip Planner->Saved Trips->Spanner->Share->Memory Card->Select All->Done.

Tracks is similar to Routes

Routes saved to the memory card may need to be recalculated if restored to Zumo or to Basecamp - but all Waypoints, Via Points and Shaping Points will remain intact. They are all placed into one file called shared_routes.gpx

ELa
Austria

Post by ELa »

Thank you, I'll try that. But as I don't consider it a coincidence that the error appeared immediately after upgrading to firmware 6.1, I opened a ticket with Garmin support anyway.
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

I had the same problem, but I happened to have a backup of the current.gpx made by Garmin Express on my pc when there was still firmware version 2.90 on the XT. You can normally find them in a folder below this path: "C:\Users\mzeist\Documents\Garmin\Backups" ('mzeist' being something else of course)

I opened this backup in BaseCamp and was then able to copy my favourites and routes back to the XT. (After a factory reset, but I'm not sure that's necessary) after this action, the XT creates an new current.gpx which is again readable by Basecamp.

My guess is that Garmin changed something in an internal table structure which causes the missing <rte> tags and much more routing elements, but this new table structure is filled correctly with new data.
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT