Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Re: New Firmware

Post by JS_racer »

sounds like some good stuff,
the group ride thing, not sure I get that. most have coms, for the group ride, they would need the xt and the add on ?? would be kinda fun seeing how far you can gap your buddy in the bendy bits. lol
Milu23771
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times
Italy

Post by Milu23771 »

jfheath wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:37 am "Impossible to calculate" usually crops up when you have two maps for the same area loaded. If you want OSM maps, then disable the CN Europe NTU maps (or whatever ones you use. Having both ticked produces all sorts of funny side effects - including simulator taking you across fields.
Exactly, only now it does so even leaving only the OSMs active, while before the update the same OSMs worked perfectly. I contacted Garmin and they said they will let me know. Without off-road OSM maps it is unusable
mzeist
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 31 times
Netherlands

Post by mzeist »

hmm, looks like you can't opt for installing the maps on your pc for Basecamp since Garmin Express 7.4.0.0 :shock:
Groet, Marcel.
ST1300 - Etrex Vista, 60CS, Co300, SPIII, SP2610, Nuvi760, Zumo660, Or650, Nuvi3590, Zumo590/5, Zumo XT
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

With the old firmware 2.90 and Garmin Express 4.7.0.0. on PC it's still available - seem's the problem(?) is a combination of both new versions!?
This problem was once before there with an older version of Garmin Express - there it was a fault and was corrected fast. But this time there are rumors, that it could be standard for now that you have to work with BaseCamp and the Zumo XT connected to the PC, to get access to the map. Some people in the german forums told that this is standard with all other navis from Garmin and they fear, that now is the time that Garmin has adapted this also to the Zumo line...

I would beg everyone, which, like me, thinks that this would be a very bad move, to contact the service line of Garmin and told them about this 'error'...

If it is an error, it would be corrected fast, and if it is not an error, maybe we are enough to let them think twice about this movement!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

How do we know that the option to iinstall the map to PC is not available? When I instaĺled the recent updates it said there was a map update for iOverlander - 7 mins - which has never been on my Pc.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
ConiKost
Been liked: 7 times
Germany

Post by ConiKost »

I am pretty sure, what happens here.

Garmin Express supports for some newer devices a new feature for map management.
AFAIK, the Montana 700 series was the first one, which did support that.
You can see this function, as there is a button for "map management" in Garmin Express.
In order to use that, you must connect your GPS via USB to PC/Mac.

Older GPS devices, including Zumo XT with firmware 2.9, did not support this function.
So you didn't had this button. But you were able to install normally, as you know, City Navigator maps on your PC/Mac for BaseCamp.

Starting with Firmware 5.9, Garmin apparently implemented this function for map management.
Currently, ALL devices, which support this new map management don't have any option to install CN maps on your PC/Mac for BaseCamp.

I have a very bad feeling, that this is not a bug, but on purpose. I do own a Montana 700 series GPS and asked Garmin, as the option is missing. They replied to me, that this option is not available anymore! So if I have to guess, I suspect, the same is happening now to Zumo XT :-(
Rofor
Austria

Post by Rofor »

The only maps, you could install on PC, where the City Navigator maps - all other (Topo, iOverlander) are unit-only. For CN there was a option, to freshly install it to the unit and also install it on PC for fast access with BaseCamp! With the new firmware 5.90 there is a brand new map administration and the option to install CN also on PC is completely gone!

Here's a screenshot of CN map installing options with the 'old' firmware 2.90 (it's in german as i'm from austria)

CopyQ.SnMbJQ.png
CopyQ.SnMbJQ.png (50.74 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
You can see 'Karte neu installieren' which means a fresh install of the map on the unit and below there is 'Karte auf Computer installieren' which means Install map data on the pc to access it with BaseCamp - this options are completely gone with the new map administration, if you are already on firmware 5.90

The 'new' map administration looks as following (screenshot from another Garmin unit, but the same on Zumo XT with 'new' firmware - no more option to install the map anywhere than on the unit itself):
Attachments
CopyQ.pkjGvs.png
CopyQ.pkjGvs.png (31.22 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Rofor
Austria

Post by Rofor »

mzeist wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:22 pm hmm, looks like you can't opt for installing the maps on your pc for Basecamp since Garmin Express 7.4.0.0 :shock:
Hi Marcel - the trigger for this is the new firmware for the Zumo XT! Sadly an older GE version doesn't help - some guys on the german 'Naviboard' did check this...
ConiKost
Been liked: 7 times
Germany

Post by ConiKost »

But I could maybe help, if ALL affected users would write to Garmin.
I already created a ticket for Garmin.
jfheath
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 610 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok

What is the best way of raising a ticket with Garmin ?

Email gets no repsonse in my experience.
Phone calls sometimes work, but mainly the person answering the calls just gives glib or useless answers.
Occasionally, when you find someone with a bit more knowledge they pass the information on and someone gets in touch a few weeks later for more evidence and after a couple of months the ticket number is allocated. Then you don't hear anything after that.

It sounds that you know of a more direct way - if so, can you share it please?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.