396 can’t find SD card

For everything Garmin Zumo 390/395/396 related
CollingsBob
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 21 times
Canada

396 can’t find SD card

Post by CollingsBob »

My 396 can’t “see” the sd card, nor can it see the Europe map that I just downloaded onto it.

Update… I formatted another sd card, put it in the 396…and Garmin Express still can’t “see” the sd card. This is starting to look like a problem with the gps..
Certified JB Welder
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: 396 can’t find SD card

Post by sussamb »

Confirm you formatted the card FAT32?

If so can your PC see the card when in your Zumo? If so try a master reset of your Zumo.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Two questions.

What is it that you are looking for on the SD card (apart from the map)

What did you call the map, and where did you place it ?

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

Yes, I formatted the card Fat32..
The file is the latest Europe maps. When I try to re-download the file using Garmin Express the download fails..Express cannot find the card.
I downloaded the map file to the gps, when I load the gps into Basecamp, Basecamp can see that map file in the GPS, but doesn’t see the SD card.
Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Excuse this question becasue it may sound impertinent if you have done it this way already. But if you haven't done it this way, I wouldn't be surprised. I've never bothered looking at this part of Express before. So I am just checking.....

I have just tried to install onto my SD card - it won't let me because I have the map in internal storage already - but it struck me that the way to install the map onto the SD card isn't quite where I expected the option to appear. The image will enlarge to 100% size if you click it.

Express Map SD Card.jpg
Express Map SD Card.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

To get to this screen from Express. Select Manage Maps. Not the Install All button or the Map details link.
That gives the above screen with the tab that is labelled Removable Storage.

It seems that it needs to be installed from there. I ticked the box and selected Apply Changes. It asked me to confirm that I wanted to move it from Internal Storage. I can't have it installed in both places.

So following that route should work. This is version 7.9.1.0 of Garmin Express.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

I am also using version 7.9.1.0 of Garmin Express. On the home page where one can update maps or firmware, if I click on Map Details, it shows only “Full Coverage of North America 2022.25”, despite Basecamp showing the unit as having “City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.2 installed.
In the tab “Tools and Content” I can select the tab “Purchased”, where it allows me to re-download either or both of the Europe maps that I have purchased. If I select the most recent Europe map, it detects that there is a memory card inserted, and indicates that it will install the map to that memory card. If I then select “continue”, I get an error message “There was an error installing the content”, so…Express detects the card, but cannot download on to it. I have changed sd cards, I have double checked to make sure that the card was installed correctly and locked in place.
I note that I never see the screen that you posted a screen shot of..nor do I ever see “manage maps”
I also note that the sd card does not show up in Basecamp, only “internal storage”, where it now has 2 instances of City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.2..

I just put a fresh sd card in the gps. The unit detected the sd card, asked if I wanted to format it, did so..Garmin Express then told me the card was incompatible..
Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've not been through this process, so I'm lost as to what to suggest next.

V2.70 of the XT firmware improved the SD card handling to a maximum of 256Gb - but I believe it still has to be formatted as FAT32 (the 32 is the number of binary digits that it uses to address the memory on the card - and is not directly linked to the capacity of the card). So unless you put a bigger card in than that, I cannot see the problem.

Odd that Basecamp shows that Europe map is installed - where though ? YOu say that it only shows internal storage !
Note that people have reported other issues when BAsecamp and Express are trying to talk to the XT.

If using Express, close down Basecamp - and use task manager to ensure that there isn't a fragment still running in the background.
If using Basecamp, close down express and ensure that isn't still running int he background (task manager).

In Express / Tools Content / Utilities - at the bottom of the page, does it report how much space you have on the SD card ?

I think that you may have to call technical support.

CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

The card that I am attempting to use is the same card that has been in the unit for the last 2 years, so this is all very odd.
This morning I reformatted the card, this time with “quick format” deselected..20+ minutes later I put it back into the gps - with the gps off, then reattached it to the computer. When the gps powered up it asked me if I wanted to format the card, which it did suspiciously quickly. Then I attached the gps to the computer, when Express recognized the gps I tried to download the map to the card..still no luck.
Then I repeated the process, this time skipping the format process by the gps..and this time Express said there was no card to be found.

When I said that Basecamp indicated the presence of Europe maps - those maps are installed directly onto the gps, not the sd card.
I completely agree with a call to Garmin tech support..I suspect the unit is faulty.
Certified JB Welder
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Take a look at this post

viewtopic.php?t=1372

Todays entry about the sd card

CollingsBob
Canada

Post by CollingsBob »

This morning I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with Garmin tech support.

- We replaced the 64gig micro sd card that was formatted exFat with a 32gig micro sd card that we formatted FAT
- Garmin removed from “purchased maps” an older version of the Europe map
- we re-downloaded and installed the newest version of the Europe map onto the micro-sd card
- we removed a duplicate copy of the newest version of the Europe map from within the gps.

It seems that having 2 versions (one old, one new) of the Europe map on the micro-sd card created a conflict.

And now everything is perfect, once again.
Certified JB Welder