Checking for update

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Kermit The Frog
Great Britain

Checking for update

Post by Kermit The Frog »

How do you stop the XT from checking for an update every time it turns itself off?
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Checking for update

Post by yorky »

I guess if you turn off Wifi it will solve the issue :idea:
Kermit The Frog
Great Britain

Post by Kermit The Frog »

Nope that didn't work. The WIFI is switched off and it still checks for updates before shutting down
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have just checked mine and can't see any settings relating to updating when turning off

Mine also doesn't check for updates! it just turns off :?
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

Whenever I have the XT connected to an external power source, and that power source is lost before I push the power button, the XT always checks for updates and then turns off. However, it you push the power button while under battery or external power, it will just go into sleep mode. If you push and hold the power button, it will being up a dialog asking if you want to shut it off (not sleep mode - OFF).
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

TripleThreat719 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:33 pm Whenever I have the XT connected to an external power source, and that power source is lost before I push the power button, the XT always checks for updates and then turns off. However, it you push the power button while under battery or external power, it will just go into sleep mode. If you push and hold the power button, it will being up a dialog asking if you want to shut it off (not sleep mode - OFF).
I did exacty what you stated here while away from my bike for about 15 minutes yesterday while in the XT cradle. My XT battery was fully charged. Everytime I turn off the ignition, it wants to check for updates as reported here due to losing power as normal. I tapped on cancel and tapped the power button for sleep mode/standby in which it blacked out. Got back to the bike, tapped on the XT and wouldn't power on. Did a long press, didn't power on. Waited a couple hours off the bike, wouldn't power on. All instances the XT remained blacked out. This morning, I powered it on and the word Garmin showed up and then powered itself off. I then plugged it in to AC outlet in which it powered completely on. Unplugged it after five minutes, wouldn't power on...... I then plugged it in for about an hour and a half, it was fully charged and working. What a P.I.A. to say the least. Checking for updates should be manual or at least have the option of not checking for updates within the settings. I have no idea what caused the XT to be dead for the day. Just glad the I wasn't on a long trip in an unfamiliar area. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks. 🤔
danham
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 82 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Always dicey to diagnose from far away, but this behavior sounds a lot like what happens if the battery in the XT runs down. The fact that you charged it and then it started working again supports this, but is not proof. And obviously 15 minutes of sleep shouldn't kill a fully charged battery. How did you determine it was fully charged before it went to sleep? A bad power connection at the mount or on the bike (you are wired via they key?) has been known to cause low battery, so maybe it was in fact not charged?

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
PaulaRay
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by PaulaRay »

danham wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:16 pm Always dicey to diagnose from far away, but this behavior sounds a lot like what happens if the battery in the XT runs down. The fact that you charged it and then it started working again supports this, but is not proof. And obviously 15 minutes of sleep shouldn't kill a fully charged battery. How did you determine it was fully charged before it went to sleep? A bad power connection at the mount or on the bike (you are wired via they key?) has been known to cause low battery, so maybe it was in fact not charged?

-dan
Thanks for the help Dan! It was fully charged before leaving on this 200 mile ride due to having it plugged into my computer earlier. It was only in the cradle for about an hour when I stopped for a cup of coffee. I bought this XT new in which I've only used it about a half a dozen times. I wired the cradle to my accessory switched power in my GL1800 Goldwing fuse box which has nothing else on that circuit. I've never had a loss of power/connection come up. I'm sure I would have noticed it due to the pop up of external power being lost along with checking for updates. I totally agree, leaving it plugged in charging for and hour and a half leads me to believe it was dead as well. I didn't confirm the battery status when I stopped due to using it on battery alone a few other times for at least two to three hours in my truck. Only other thing I can think of is that it was checking for updates while being blacked out.... but, that in itself would be strange plus the fact of me tapping the power button for standby. I'm on version 6.50 and there is an update but, I would like to figure out what happened. Quite possible, I never will..... Hopefully, this was just a one off issue for whatever happened. Thanks again for the help, appreciate it. Ray 👍
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

PaulaRay wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:53 pm Got back to the bike, tapped on the XT and wouldn't power on. Did a long press, didn't power on. Waited a couple hours off the bike, wouldn't power on. All instances the XT remained blacked out. This morning, I powered it on and the word Garmin showed up and then powered itself off.
Mine has done similar except for startup being normal the next morning. In my case I had stopped for lunch. I did my normal routine of just removing the XT from its cradle but instead of locking it in my trunk case I locked it in a fairing pocket. I let it go to sleep on its own. When I returned from lunch the XT would not wake up or boot up on long press. It was fine the next morning. It has only happened once and I attributed it to heat. It was very hot that day and I suspect the fairing pocket was extra hot due to engine heat.

As for update checks, mine does not do them automatically. Like you, I can not find a configuration setting that controls it.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 195 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Look at Settings/Wireless Networks/WiFi. You untick the box to stop updates.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A