Mileage issues

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Mileage issues

Post by Pockets »

Hi, Can anyone explain why my 550 is giving a different mileage than google maps? I have a holiday home in Scotland that is 173 miles from my home, thats the same as Google maps, and my car mileage. But my 550 insists its 135 miles, that is the same for a journey both ways. The 550 comes up with exactly the same route as Google and my car satnav, I’ve checked and they are both recording in miles ( not klm). Not sure what’s going on, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Moose
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Re: Mileage issues

Post by Moose »

they measure as the crow flys your arrival time will reflect time of arrival though
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

It shouldn't, it should show the route mileage. Does it do it for any other route or just this one?
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Moose wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:55 pm they measure as the crow flys your arrival time will reflect time of arrival though
I believe that the as the crow files distance is when searching through a list of POIs. When on a route it should show the actually distance to destination.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That's correct.
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

Thanks for the replies, Fallguy67 looks like the winner, if I look at my favourites list the mileage is 135 miles but if I scroll using the square button it then tells me a”Arrive in 173miles” so that looks like the answer. I’ve got about 15 favourites on my list and everyone of them tells the same story, the nearer the destination the less the difference in mileage, so it must be as Fallgut67 explains it’s as the crow fly’s on the favourites screen but the true mileage when you scroll into the menu.
Thanks again everyone problem solved.
Fallguy67
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by Fallguy67 »

Glad you got it figured out. My understanding on the reason for this is, it would take to much time/computing power to figure the exact route on every choice when you have a list up.