New firmware 6.60 for Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 628 times
Great Britain

Re: New firmware 6.60 for Zumo XT

Post by jfheath »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:11 pm My XT does not do this. Isn't there another setting for checking for updates upon shutdown or not, besides having the wifi off? I seem to remember this but can't put my finger on it.
Maybe you are thinking of the place where you turn on WiFi Updates ??

Settings->MyMaps->Update Maps-> (Connect to a WiFi network / OK)
That gives a list of nearby wifi networks. You choose one and enter the password if you are wanting to enable Wifi updates.

But I don't know how you disable it if you have set it up - but try selecting a neigbours network and typing in the wrong password - and leave it like that.

Also In Settings ->Wireless Networks -> WiFi -- Check whether you have any 'Saved Networks' in place. If so, I guess that there is an option to remove it. I am not going to conenct to my network to try it out !! Also in the same WiFi menu untick Enable Wireless Networks.

I have observed that Wireless Networks have been turned on - but I do not know when. It certainly wasn't me. I have had two replacement XTs, so it might have been then, or it might have been when I have installed the latest software. I don't know. Keep an eye on it after software updates. Garmin do that sort of trick with Express - they reset it to stay resident in the computer, so after each Express update, I have to remember to turn that option off.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have just checked mine and wifi on or off it no longer checks for updates on shutdown
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

I asked garmin if they had details of updates, this is what I got ..

The changes logged on the latest software version 6.60 are-

Added a QR code to support easier mobile app onboarding.
Fixed an issue where custom maps placed on an SD card could not be read.
Fixed an issue that caused some safety camera types to not show in Australia.
Improved software stability.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Scottnet wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:24 pm I asked garmin if they had details of updates, this is what I got ..
<Ideal_World_On>Would be nice if they publish their changes in more detail<Ideal_World_Off>
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 628 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've been keeping an unofficial log of the Express Screen shots at each software update. I got most of the later ones.

viewtopic.php?t=1223

Not that they tell you much.

(Search "Software Update Log" or "Firmware Update Log" )
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 202 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:59 pm I have just checked mine and wifi on or off it no longer checks for updates on shutdown
Exactly why I asked the question I did. There was something I did that stopped it from checking for updates upon shutdown, even when the wifi is turned on. I just can't remember what it was.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I never enabled wi-fi after the last time I did a firmware reset, and it does not try to check for updates.

But the Drive app will let me know there is an update available and suggest activating wi-fi to get it. If I ignore the suggestion, Drive does not remind me again (at least, not for that update).
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:02 am But the Drive app will let me know there is an update available and suggest activating wi-fi to get it. If I ignore the suggestion, Drive does not remind me again (at least, not for that update).
Wish I could get mine to stop reminding me. It pops up with a notification every time I turn the XT on. The most annoying thing is that the notification says "firmware update" even when the update is a map, or most recently, time zone changes. Yes, I could turn off notifications from the Drive app but I'm hopeful that it produces other notifications of value (can't think of any at the moment though).

Here is a question: Does wi-fi on the XT serve any purpose other than for doing updates?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:16 pm Here is a question: Does wi-fi on the XT serve any purpose other than for doing updates?
I have never managed to do anything else but updates with WIFI. so my answer would be NO.
Would I have a good suggestion? Yes. I wish the XT would anounce itself in the 'home network', like any other Windows/Linux/Mac computer, that creates Network Shares. (\\server\sharename for example) Then we would be able to save a GPX directly from BaseCamp to the XT.
But I'm afraid that's a suggestion that never will be honoured!
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Peobody wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:16 pm Here is a question: Does wi-fi on the XT serve any purpose other than for doing updates?
Not that I know of.

I would never update anything just before or while travelling.
If there is a map update, I still need to plug in the XT to update Basecamp.
If I attempted a large wi-fi download in the garage, Murphy's Law would guarantee that the 2.4 GHz signal would be interrupted when my wife fired up the kitchen microwave.
I don't trust a firmware update until I've reset to factory settings and then reconfigured my preferences, which is easier to do at my desk than at the side of the bike.

So, the wi-fi capability is totally useless for my purposes.