How to clean the phone book on the Zumo XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
chris7444
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
France

How to clean the phone book on the Zumo XT

Post by chris7444 »

I am trying to remove some (or all) of the entries I have in the phone book on the Zümo XT.

I just bought a new phone and

1- Did some cleansing in my contacts (Android Phone, Google managed contacts)
2- deleted the pairing between the XT and my old phone
3- paired the new phone

Now in the phone app on the XT I can see old entries which I deleted in 1 (plus the new entries).

Q1: Is there a way I can completely delete the phone book on the XT ?
Q2: I am wondering if there would be a way to tell the android device (the phone) to only transfer a subset of my contacts (eg just the favorites)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Re: How to clean the phone book on the Zumo XT

Post by Peobody »

In the XT (Settings > Wireless Networks), disconnect the phone and then reconnect it. This will re-sync the contacts.

Regarding controlling what syncs to the XT, I don't know about Androids but in my iPhone I can enable/disable "sync contacts" and, when sync is enabled, specify which groups of contacts to sync.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

Some of the old entries showing up in the XT "phone book" (which are not in the google contacts) seem to be coming from the call log in the phone itself. That being said I can see special numbers coming from the SIM card (operator services, numbers I never ever used). I was careful to delete them from the SIM card before pairing the new phone. There are not on the SIM card, they are not in the Google Contacts app so my guess is that they were copied to the XT before I deleted them from the SIM card.
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

As you can see some entries in the XT' phone book are shown with an icon representing as phone. Some others come with a house/home. I am not sure whence the entries with a home/house are coming and how to delete them.
Attachments
922126.png
922126.png (62.6 KiB) Viewed 582 times
924223.png
924223.png (68.01 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 300 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I have unsuccessfully tried to figure out a cause. There is a file named contact_db.db whose date/time stamp changes each time I resync my phone however, looking at it with a text edit reveals that it contains old phone contact information even though only what I selected for sync is listed in the XT's Phone Book. The file is located in Internal Storage\.System\SQLite. I don't know anything about SQL so lack the expertise to be able to determine what is going on. The only other file I have found whose date/time stamp corresponds with contact synching is once named contact_db.db.bckup which is obviously a backup. I am confident that the contact_db.db file is involved but I don't have advice on how to fix what is being displayed in the Phone Book nor do I know what the ramifications might be to deleting this file.

One thing that surprises me is that the XT indeed appears to store contact data but the Phone app only works when both a phone and a headset are connected. I can not find any other way to access that data nor is it listed independently in Settings > Device > Reset unless it is an option under "Delete Data and Reset Settings". I did not go that far.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 128 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I dont use a phone with my XT, so I cant verify it. But I have a suggestion.

What happens if you remove the file contact_db.db? You could rename it, or save it to your harddisk to be sure. From what I read the file gets synced from your phone, so I see no harm in removing it.
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

I opened the sql database and it is empty (at least the copy of this file I made when the XT was connected to the PC) => these special numbers msut be coming from my phone somehow...
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

chris7444 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:04 am I opened the sql database and it is empty (at least the copy of this file I made when the XT was connected to the PC) => these special numbers msut be coming from my phone somehow...
Correction I can see the contacts! All of them (the special numbers which USED to be on the SIM card and the google contacts). That does not really help but it gives me an indication that the special numbers are coming from my phone somehow (even if not on the SIM card anymore)
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

I was wrong, there was still a few entries on the SIM card, I did not delete all of them. apologize for the "noise"

ps1: The entries shown with a "house"or a "home" are the entries found on the SIM card, the other entries are those coming from the Contacts app (Google Contacts for me).

ps2: For the second part of the question (filtering out contacts during the copy over the bluetooth connection), I will live without it for now

ps3; I used sqlite browser to very the content of the contact DB (https://sqlitebrowser.org/dl/)