Is there a way to search a Basecamp Library?

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 289 times
United States of America

Re: Is there a way to search a Basecamp Library?

Post by Peobody »

colirv wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:41 pm @Peobody Ah - thank you! It only works on one letter, though. I type "T" and I get the first folder or list beginning with T. Type "A" and I get the first folder or list starting with A. Alternatively, type "T" a second time and I get the second folder or list starting with T.
For me, a pause of a second or more between the typing of the letters will result in the behavior you describe. I can type multiple letters to precisely jump to the folder beginning with those letters, provided I don't pause between keystrokes.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I thought that it ought to do that, but when I tried I couldn't get it to accept the 2nd character as a tag onto the first. I'll have to try again.

In the mean time - regarding finding routes / waypoints in lists within Basecamp.

If you double click a waypoint or route or right click and selecte properties - to open up the properties dialogue box, and then click the 'References' tab - you get an image like the one attached, listing all of the location that point is used.

You can then click on the item to display the list or the item or click the cross to remove the item (effectively delete the entry at that location). It doesn't delete the point or route completely. This is a 'fully normalised database' to use the jargon - it doesn't store more than one copy. But you can have as many pointers to it as you wish. So in effect, if you change the name of one of them, it changes all of them.

Until you delete the very last occurrence. Then the item is removed from the database.

See the pic - click it to get the full size version.
Attachments
BC References.jpg
BC References.jpg (117.36 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
colirv
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

jfheath wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:46 pm
If you double click a waypoint or route or right click and selecte properties - to open up the properties dialogue box, and then click the 'References' tab - you get an image like the one attached, listing all of the location that point is used.

You can then click on the item to display the list or the item or click the cross to remove the item (effectively delete the entry at that location).
That's useful. Thanks!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
LQQK_OUT
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

Peobody wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:14 pm The Library list works similarly to a Windows File Explorer list in that once an item is selected in the list, typing letters will jump to the corresponding list item. In my case I have a folder named "South Dakota" in my Basecamp Library list so I can click on "My Collection" and then type "so" and it will jump to the "South Dakota" folder. Different from a File Explorer behavior is the fact that I can then type "co" and it will jump up to my "Colorado" folder, "lo" will then jump me to my "Local Rides" folder, etc.
This is a game changer for me. Thanks for the tip. I have lots of lists and list folders under "My Collection". This tip makes finding what I'm looking for much easier. It also looks like the search will cycle through the items under "My Collection" if one repeatedly enters the same search string.
For example: If I enter "2018", the search will find the first list/list folder with "2018". If I enter "2018" again, it will find the next one, etc.
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

If this format is new to you, then let me add something that will probably not come naturally to you.

You can copy items from one folder to another - something that you might want to do say with Waypoints - so that you don't have to create another one. Just drag it into a new list or a new folder.

But it does not take a copy of of the original. The original is stored elsewhere, and what you see are 'pointers' to the original.
If you change the name, details or whatever of one of them .....drum roll .... It changes the original and every 'copy' that you made because they also point. to the original. So in effect, change one copy, you change them all.

This may or may not make sense. If it doesn't make sense then just remember this:

NEVER use the option to DELETE an entry in a list or in a list folder. Instead, use the option to REMOVE the entry. That keeps the original intact in the other places that you have used it. DELETE will just get rid of it from everywhere - The Original and all of the pointers to it.

It will save a lot of heartache and cursing - until you get used to the difference between Remove and Delete.
If you are wondering why Garmin would do such a thing - this is the recognised way of storing data in a database. Store information once and link to it as many times as you want. It makes searching and processing so much faster as well as saving a lot of space.

It means you get advanced searching facilities, so for example if you click on a Waypoint, you can find out all of the lists and folders that have links to it.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 289 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:28 pm But it does not take a copy of of the original. The original is stored elsewhere, and what you see are 'pointers' to the original.
If you change the name, details or whatever of one of them .....drum roll .... It changes the original and every 'copy' that you made because they also point. to the original. So in effect, change one copy, you change them all.
More important to me: Think twice before copying a waypoint. What @jfheath just mentioned WILL bite you in the you-know-where. Better to duplicate a waypoint (Right-click > Duplicate), copy that duplicate to a different list, and then delete the duplicate from the source. The duplicate will then exist on its own rather than being a pointer to the original. Yes, it will look like a duplicate (a number will be added to the end of it) but you can rename to whatever you want, and you can delete it, without affecting the original. The only waypoints that I never duplicate are the ones that I use as Start and End points when starting and ending at home.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
LQQK_OUT
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

jfheath wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:28 pm If this format is new to you, then let me add something that will probably not come naturally to you.

You can copy items from one folder to another - something that you might want to do say with Waypoints - so that you don't have to create another one. Just drag it into a new list or a new folder.

But it does not take a copy of of the original. The original is stored elsewhere, and what you see are 'pointers' to the original.

This may or may not make sense. If it doesn't make sense then just remember this:

NEVER use the option to DELETE an entry in a list or in a list folder. Instead, use the option to REMOVE the entry. That keeps the original intact in the other places that you have used it. DELETE will just get rid of it from everywhere - The Original and all of the pointers to it.

It will save a lot of heartache and cursing - until you get used to the difference between Remove and Delete.

Thank you, I am very familiar with the difference between duplicating and copying waypoints. I actually never duplicate a waypoint, and only copy them. I do duplicate routes, which then duplicates the shaping points.
I'm also familiar with changing names of waypoint copies and depend on the name changing for all of them.
For example:
I may have a number of different routes that always stop at a particular gas station. Let's say the name of that gas station's waypoint is "FuelStop" located in City1, Place1.
I may at a later time create another route in another part of the country that also stops at a gas station called "FuelStop". I may not fave realized that "FuelStop" is a chain, and there are many "FuelStop" locations all over the country.
What I then do is go back to my original waypoint "FuelStop" and change the name to "FuelStop - City1", to make the name unique. Now, going foward when I need to create a waypoint at a "FuelStop", I add the City to the name.
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF