Dowloading tracks from XT to PC with Explore enabled

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
bradrh
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Dowloading tracks from XT to PC with Explore enabled

Post by bradrh »

I don't use basecamp. I've been using the file manager to transfer gpx files between the XT and PC.
I thought I'd try Explore again since the Collections feature seems handy.

I did a ride, tracked it, saved the track to a Collection.

On the explore website it shows the track in the list, I've put it in a Collection called Export. It shows 6+ hrs, and 130+ miles in the left side listing box. The track does not show up on the webpage map. The 'Toggle Map Visibility...' eye is on. When I export the track to a GPX file, the file has only one point in it. ??

I plugged it in and do not see the new track in the usual place on the file system (in GPX).

So I tried the bluetooth way. On the XT, Apps-Tracks Select the track, share to Garmin Drive. I open the file on my computer and the position data is there but no elevation data??

What am I doing wrong?
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Re: Dowloading tracks from XT to PC with Explore enabled

Post by jfheath »

Pass. I'll take a look at this.

It will take a little while to synchronise and process. It will have many points.

One thing sounds suspicious. You say you added it to a collection - Export - presumably you did this on the XT ? I assume that you had previously created 'Export' as a collection on the Explore website/App ? I don't think that you can create a new collection on the XT.

But then in Explore, you added it to a different collection ? was that instead of or as well as the Export collection?
Long shot, but I am wondering if you started looking at the results before the two synchronisations that would be needed had completed.

Questions.

Did you stop the track recorder and give it a name ? I'm wondering because that would normally create a gpx file in Internal Storage/gpx - but you say that it didn't appear there. If you didn't stop the track recorder, it will still be running, so you can still stop it to save the complete track.

Can you display the complete track on the map on the XT screen using the 'show on screen' tickbox in the Collections window?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
bradrh
United States of America

Post by bradrh »

jfheath wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:31 am Pass. I'll take a look at this.

It will take a little while to synchronise and process. It will have many points.

One thing sounds suspicious. You say you added it to a collection - Export - presumably you did this on the XT ? I assume that you had previously created 'Export' as a collection on the Explore website/App ? I don't think that you can create a new collection on the XT.

But then in Explore, you added it to a different collection ? was that instead of or as well as the Export collection?
Long shot, but I am wondering if you started looking at the results before the two synchronisations that would be needed had completed.
I created it on the website and added it to the collection . It was over 24 hrs.
jfheath wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:31 am Questions.

Did you stop the track recorder and give it a name ? I'm wondering because that would normally create a gpx file in Internal Storage/gpx - but you say that it didn't appear there. If you didn't stop the track recorder, it will still be running, so you can still stop it to save the complete track.

Can you display the complete track on the map on the XT screen using the 'show on screen' tickbox in the Collections window?
Yep, stopped the track and gave it a name. It does not show up in Internal Storage/GPX. Yep, it shows on the map on the XT, I can turn it on and off with 'Show or hide collection data'.
None of the tracks are showing up on the website now. I must have something toggled wrong, but I've toggled the eyeball, but that doesn't change anything. Map Filters are Off,

I just repeated the process with a new short track. Start track, Stop Track. Save. Open the track in Explore on the XT and add it to the Export Collection. I noticed that it synced according to the XT. It shows up in the text box on the website, but still no data to download.
I also plugged it in with usb and neither today's or the other day's track show up in Internal Storage/GPX. Shared it via Drive, and same as before, no elevation data.
bradrh
United States of America

Post by bradrh »

Attachments
Screenshot_2022-10-21_10-15-56.png
Screenshot_2022-10-21_10-15-56.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1037 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hmm. Check the gox file on the XT. Load it into a text editor. Do the <trkpt commands include <elev data ?

I was surprised the other day that one of mine did not, yet it was showing elevation profiles in Basceamp. So I reckoned it was obtaining it from the lat/long coordinates and the elevation data built into the map. Yet I am certain that I have seen the elevation data in a track before. I'll check some old tracks to see.

Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
bradrh
United States of America

Post by bradrh »

<trkseg><trkpt lat="38.519783" lon="-106.079694"></trkpt><trkpt lat="38.519848" lon="-106.079780"></trkpt>
Hmm, it doesn't even have time

Other gpx files which I've transfered the old way included time, elevation (ele), speed and course.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Here's one that I recorded using the track recorder from the track app on the XT in September this year.

<trkpt lat="57.169894" lon="-4.645794">
<ele>22.25</ele>
<time>2022-09-04T14:31:06+01:00</time>
<extensions>
<gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension>
<gpxtpx:speed>24.71</gpxtpx:speed>
<gpxtpx:course>28.24</gpxtpx:course>
</gpxtpx:TrackPointExtension>
</extensions>
</trkpt>

So it is recorded in the track log.

You could try the Active log files in Internal/Gpx/CurrentTrackLog.gpx

or if it is a while back, then in one of the 20 gpx files in (eg) Internal/gpx/Archive/23.gpx (say).

There may be copies on the XT in the Internal/.System/GPX/Archive folder - eg DriveLognn.gpx

Other thoughts - check which maps you have enabled. Perhaps it needs the Digital Elevation map to be ticked in MyMaps.
We have one called Europe DEM - Digital Elevation Map.

Zumo XT & BC Link

bradrh
United States of America

Post by bradrh »

The data is in the Active Log. I've managed to connect the tracks from that day into 1 track & it's all there.
Explore shouldn't need a DEM to transfer the elevation when it's in the data already. Due to the significant slopes in my area DEM data is not as good as GPS data, so even if I had to enable a DEM to transfer data through Explore I wouldn't want to do that.

What am I missing on the web page? The tracks aren't showing up on the map, which maybe why they don't download? Maybe the opposite is true, they don't show up on the map because there isn't any data there, even tho it says 100+ miles & several hours.

Thanks for any ideas on this, I probly should chat with Garmin support & see if they have any ideas. I can always turn off Explore & do it the old way too.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

bradrh wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:59 pm The data is in the Active Log. I've managed to connect the tracks from that day into 1 track & it's all there.
Explore shouldn't need a DEM to transfer the elevation when it's in the data already.
I was suggesting that the elevation data may come from the map rather than from the satnav - when the bike is moving. It knows its lat & long - I wondered if it was using the coordinates to look up the elevation. Yes - I know the satnav makes a surprisingly good stab at calculating elevation.

There is something different about your track which hasn't recorded an elevation and mine which has. I'm just clutching at straws to suggest what it might be. Post you track gpx if you wish (or PM me a copy). I'll see if it will import into my Explore account.

Odd that the elevation is recorded in the active log but not in the track recorder. But there does seem to be a difference between the two - my active log pauses and starts a new entry every time the XT recaclualates. The track recorder - ont he same ride recording the same route on the same zumo XT does not pause. (That issue was lodged with Garmin in September)

John

Zumo XT & BC Link

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Oh - hang on. I just looked at the track from which I obtained that entry and posted 2 posts back. The one that shows the elevation.
Transferred to the Explore.garmin.com site - mine doesnt show elevation either. Yet the track points have an elevation recorded. The elevation data has been removed by Explore.

[edit] I have just taken another look at the XT recorded track data. It shows elevation, speed and course (compass bearing). The latter two are garmin gpx extensions, but elevation is a normal gpx parameter. When you import the track containing these items of data, none of them are represented on the Explore version of the track. If you export the data straight after importing it, elevation is there - but all entries are set to 0. Speed and course are not included.

It is most odd that the summary of the track should show elevation,, speed and maximum speed when the import seems to be ignoring those data items. But Explore is still in development - or so I believe. It wasn't so long ago that the magnet tool was introduced to the ipad and android apps, to make hand drawn tracks follow roads, footpaths and trails. These have not yet been implemented on the web based version.

So I have just looked at the same track on my iPad. It is possible to get an elevation profile, but it says that it is using the elevation from the map.
It says that elevation data does not exist for this track. I'm wondering if I can get the track direct to my ipad. Later......

Load the track into Basecamp see if that shows it. Double click the track. Click on the Graph tab. Select either speed or elavation (or both) from the drop down menus top right.

Zumo XT & BC Link