Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Route planning frustrations!

Post by Stu »

I have always said that TomTom routing was better than Garmin's or Here maps as that's what they use!

I am planning a trip through MyRoute App and this is the route I want to take which is planned using TomTom's routing
2022-07-11 10 01 52.png
2022-07-11 10 01 52.png (411.06 KiB) Viewed 851 times
And this is what I get using Here maps which is used for routing the same as what your Garmin would do
2022-07-11 10 01 03.png
2022-07-11 10 01 03.png (341.84 KiB) Viewed 851 times
If Garmin want to be the leader in Motorcycle navigation then I really think they need to up their game
biquer

Re: Route planning frustrations!

Post by biquer »

The XT is a shiny toy, it's the worst routing Garmin ever made. I've had almost every one. I've tried all the trips and tricks and A It shouldn't be that complicated and B They don't really work! I've compared it side by side with a Tomtom rider 550, a phone running Google Maps and a phone running Tomtom Go Navigator. Guess which one always disagrees and is always wrong?
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

biquer wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:01 am and is always wrong?
I don't think a sat nav is wrong as such as it will always get you there! just differently to how others would do :?
biquer

Post by biquer »

Adding lots of unnecessary miles is not 'different', its wrong!
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

biquer wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:08 am Adding lots of unnecessary miles is not 'different', its wrong!
A sat navs job is to get you to a destination and if it gets you there then its now wrong as its done its job!

If it takes you on a wild goose chase then its doing it differently to other sat navs!

Its the routing thats different which can easily be seen in MyRoute App as changing between here maps and tomtom can give you different results both get you there just differently

Plus the extra "unnecessary" miles could end up being the best miles of your route
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 261 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

The route produced by the Here map appears to have used a "Faster Time" algorithm. It routed as if either it detects a road closure between points 6 & 7 or its algorithm determined that getting through Carburton would be slow (I would assume this if the route had been created by the XT).
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Stu
Site Admin
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Peobody wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:04 pm The route produced by the Here map appears to have used a "Faster Time" algorithm. It routed as if either it detects a road closure between points 6 & 7 or its algorithm determined that getting through Carburton would be slow (I would assume this if the route had been created by the XT).
Its treating it as though the road is a no through road!

Point 5 and 6 are there to force the route down that road

TomTom and google maps allows you to go through with no issues
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Strange. Plotted in BaseCamp using the driving profile there aren't any issues, only a strange route if you select the motorcycling profile. Even the RV profile routes correctly.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:16 pm TomTom and google maps allows you to go through with no issues
I know. I have never done TomTom but have seen this behavior in BaseCamp and on the XT. We don't have any choice but to deal with the idiosyncrasies of each map and routing software. We can rant about it though (I've done my share of that).
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

sussamb wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:52 pm Strange. Plotted in BaseCamp using the driving profile there aren't any issues, only a strange route if you select the motorcycling profile. Even the RV profile routes correctly.
I certainly would like to understand why the motorcycling profile produces a strange route. The big question is whether motorcyclists would be better off using the Driving profile, and/or what setting in the motorcycling profile results in a different route than the driving profile.