XT locking device

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Zumouser34
Been liked: 1 time

XT locking device

Post by Zumouser34 »

All I can find is the Zumolock or the Touratech cradle. General consensus is that the Touratech unit is very secure but it’s quite bulky. The Zumolock on the other hand adds almost no bulk to the mount and is very clean looking. I see a few people online selling the Zumolock in favour of the TT but is it really that bad. Is anyone here using it?
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Re: XT locking device

Post by Richard_R »

There is another post about zumo locks on motorcycles only a couple below this one on the forum.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

Richard_R wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:16 pm There is another post about zumo locks on motorcycles only a couple below this one on the forum.
This one in case its missed viewtopic.php?t=1605 :)
Zumouser34

Post by Zumouser34 »

Thanks guys, I did see that but none of those guys actually have a Zumolock, which is what I’m enquiring about. I keep reading how flimsy people think the standard XT mount is but I think that’s unwarranted. I haven’t found a single instance online where the XT has fallen off its mount during riding.

So, has anyone on here had experience with a Zumolock?
Zumouser34

Post by Zumouser34 »

Hadn’t seen the Wunderlich before and they usually make pretty good stuff but that looks the easiest to defeat by far. Full access to the barrel nut and locking tab nut means that would literally last less than a minute. I’m surprised they didn’t cover the barrel otherwise I’d have definitely gone for that one.
Richard_R
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

I have ridden on dirt roads so rough that over time my Ram mount has drooped a little despite being tightened with a shifter (to stop people with light fingers removing it) but the GPS has never come loose in its factory holder and I don't expect it will. Often with this sort of situation one person looks at a product or mount or housing and decides that they believe it is crap without any testing and they start spreading that around the Internet, this gets picked up by others who repeat the story and all of a sudden its Internet fact that the product is crap. Internet fact is not real fact and the two should not be confused.
The Zumolock to me looks like a lock to prevent theft not a device to stop the GPS falling off the bike, I think the Touratech mount is the only one that really offers any additional protection in that regard.
If falling off the bike is the worry it should be easy enough to secure a loop to the back of the Zumo using heavy duty 3M tape and then just put a tether between the loop and the RAM arm so if the GPS does fall it only falls a very short distance.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Zumouser34 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:15 pm All I can find is the Zumolock or the Touratech cradle. General consensus is that the Touratech unit is very secure but it’s quite bulky. The Zumolock on the other hand adds almost no bulk to the mount and is very clean looking. I see a few people online selling the Zumolock in favour of the TT but is it really that bad. Is anyone here using it?
I have the Touratech mount on my KTM, it is quite large, but then so is the XT. The Zumo lock with postage is getting close to the price of the TT mount. It does not surround the unit like the TT mount does & only stops someone operating the release catch, it offers no unit protection / security.

If you left the XT on a bike with the TT mount, you would wreck the unit trying to remove it, as you would need a tyre lever or pry bar, in my opinion the Zumo lock is an expensive waste of time.
Zumouser34

Post by Zumouser34 »

I agree with you Richard. Internet gossip gains traction and somehow becomes fact despite the lack of evidence. I don’t doubt that the standard mount is secure enough, wouldn’t be good PR for Garmin if they didn’t rigorously test it before offering to the general public.
I’m looking for something to keep it secure from pond life whilst I’m paying for petrol or having a coffee. The TT cradles are very good (had one for my 390) but it’s too bulky and heavy for me above the clocks. The Multi Enduro mounts are not the most stable. I’ve found a Zumolock copy on eBay for £45 so I may give it a try.
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

simoncrewe wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:58 pm If you left the XT on a bike with the TT mount, you would wreck the unit trying to remove it, as you would need a tyre lever or pry bar, in my opinion the Zumo lock is an expensive waste of time.
If the TT mount is attached to a RAM-type ball then presumably a thief could just nick the XT and TT mount together, and detach the two at leisure at home.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

colirv wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:10 am
simoncrewe wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:58 pm If you left the XT on a bike with the TT mount, you would wreck the unit trying to remove it, as you would need a tyre lever or pry bar, in my opinion the Zumo lock is an expensive waste of time.
If the TT mount is attached to a RAM-type ball then presumably a thief could just nick the XT and TT mount together, and detach the two at leisure at home.
You are correct in what you say, although Ram offer a security 'wheel' to replace the thumb wheel. Personally I would not recommend using a Ram mount as it is something else to vibrate / move and put the unit out of the ideal position. My TT mount is bolted firmly to the bike.