Latest XT Motorbike Lockable Mount options

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ian_h
Has liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Latest XT Motorbike Lockable Mount options

Post by ian_h »

I'm looking for a lockable mount and wondered if anyone has tried any of these?

Wunderlich
No key cover?
https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunde ... 0-602.html

Zumolock
https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/p ... 216-detail

eBay - no brand
Looks same as Zumolock?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334309531463

Touratech
Doesn't look that nice without satnav installed ?
https://www.touratech-uk.co.uk/handleba ... black.html
Last edited by ian_h on Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Latest XT Motorbike Lockable Mount options

Post by simoncrewe »

I have the Touratech mount, by far the most secure, as it surrounds the body of the XT & prevents the unit popping off the flimsy mount.
By the time you look at the Zumo lock & postage, you may as well buy the TT mount.

I have a mount cover with a KTM logo on mine when the unit is not installed - looks fine.
Richard_R
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

If you use RAM mounts to attach the Zumo holder to the bike none of these locks will be any good unless you also put a lock on the RAM mount.

I saw the Touratech mount on a bike yesterday and like all Touratech products it is beautifully engineered but probably overkill for its intended purpose. Of the ones that are shown above I think the Wunderlich unit looks like the one I would go for.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I have the Touratech Mount on my Beta X-Trainer. Incredibly solid setup and virtually bulletproof setup for technical single track trails. I do not have a locking device on my Husqvarna TE610 or on my BMW R1150RT. I just have the standard Zumo Mount on them. I'd dropped the Husky hard enough to bend a set of pro taper bars and the Enduro Engineering hand guards that were on it at the time and the XT didn't budge from it's mount.

All three bikes have the Zumo Mount attached to a rigid surface, not a Ram Arm system. The Husky has a Britannia Composites Lynx fairing setup on it and their associated aluminum GPS mounting bracket. The BMW has a Migsel aluminum articulated mount that the Zumo XT mount is bolted to. FInally, the Beta has a StoutMount that sits atop a BRP Scott's damper Submount setup that the Touratech mount bolts to. All three are rock solid setups.

If I get off the Husky or the BMW, I just pop the GPS off the stock mount and stick it in a carrying case and put it in my pocket.

The stock Zumo XT mount actually holds the GPS very firmly, assuming that you get it clipped in the mount all the way. It really lacks the locking function, but as mentioned, mount it to a RAM arm setup, and if it isn't locked on, it will walk away with a simple twist of the RAM arm knob...

Several good solutions listed above, just pick what works for you...
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

I Have the Touratech Mount, I know its not the best looking bit of kit
but I had the XT dropping out it mount a couple of times ,
plus it lets me leave the XT on the bike when stopping for a cuppa.
but I do find it a bit wobblily when riding.
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

I have the Touratech on my BMW. Pretty impressive, if over engineered. But it works well.
TripleThreat719 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:59 pm If I get off the Husky or the BMW, I just pop the GPS off the stock mount and stick it in a carrying case and put it in my pocket.
On my Honda I don't have any lock (yet) and will "pocket" the XT for security. At least for now. Do you find the XT needs a screen saver to protect it from use like this?
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

BradB wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:49 pm On my Honda I don't have any lock (yet) and will "pocket" the XT for security. At least for now. Do you find the XT needs a screen saver to protect it from use like this?
I have a screen protector on mine and I always pop it into it's carrying case, so I couldn't tell you if that is necessary for just dropping it in your pocket or not. Suppose it depends on what's in your pocket with it...
Richard_R
Been liked: 20 times
New Zealand

Post by Richard_R »

BradB wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:49 pm On my Honda I don't have any lock (yet) and will "pocket" the XT for security. At least for now. Do you find the XT needs a screen saver to protect it from use like this?
No screen saver required. If the GPS falls off the bike at speed or you crash a screen saver is going to do nothing to save the GPS. In normal use how would you damage the screen?
colirv
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I imagine by scratching the screen when you put it in your pocket. I just pop mine in my helmet, which is nice and soft!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

hi Guys
How does the Zumo lock work
e.g. Does it lock the mount release button or does it just stop access to the ram mount.
Might be me but I cant tell from the pictures.
As stated in the earlier post I have the Tourtech locking mount but its very shaky when riding.