550 taking strange route

For everything Garmin Zumo 450/550 related
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

550 taking strange route

Post by Pockets »

Hi again, Just a small issue I’ve now got with my 550, i was out on a little run yesterday (Doncaster to Nottingham) i know the way to Nottingham but set the satnav to post code, I new I was on the correct road heading in the correct direction but the satnav kept telling me to turn onto random roads and random instructions that were completely wrong. At one point it even told me to turn round and go in the opposite direction! It did eventually get me to were I wanted to go (Ducati) but only because I ignored most of the weird directions.
What I need to know, were the satellites having a day off or is there a reset button somewhere that might cure my wayward satnav, I’ll await your invaluable advise.
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 354 times
Great Britain

Re: 550 taking strange route

Post by sussamb »

Have you just done a map or software update? If so I suggest a master reset.
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

As sussamb suggested, it might well be the Maps.

I still generate my routes using Microsoft Streets and Trips and then down load the route, via a GPX file, to the device. Given the accuracy of the GPS satellites and the older map accuracy, I sometimes get strange routing because the point I picked was several feet off the road way (sometimes on a four lane the other lane).

I also had an issue with my 665 having to do with a 2019 (or was it 2018) map update that had issues and or Time Zone issues. New maps fixed that problem.
Pockets
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Pockets »

Thanks for the advise it was much appreciated, I’ve been giving it some thought and came up with swapping the 550 for another younger version, is there another younger unit that will fit on my bike mount?. I don’t want to go down the new unit new bike mount, just swap the unit for a younger (better) satnav.
Any ideas?
carolinarider09
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 35 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

OPPS.

I missed the "use on your bike mount" thing.

I don't know of any other device that will work with the 550 mount.

You could send your 550 to the Palm Dr for repair and battery replacement. He might well be able to help.

https://www.palmdr.com
jfheath
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The behaviour described in your first post sounds like the satnav is trying to get you to go back to a routing point that you missed.

This could be due to inaccurately route points - the 550 was very particular about visiting each point on the route.
It could also be due to the differences between the map on the zumo and the map used to create the GPX file.
It could be simply that the map is out of date.

None of the later Zumos will fit the 550 cradle. But it sounds like your 550 is working fine. The 660 was a big improvement, but is no longer produced or supported - and for my money was the best of all of them for down to earth navigation. I have had the 550 and the 660. I now have the 590, and am experimenting with the 595.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.