More pre-purchase questions please

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
burtsr
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

More pre-purchase questions please

Post by burtsr »

I have two 665lm that are getting a bit old and thinking of a new XT. I love my 665 and think it's the best Garmin ever made. I'll miss XM.

Since my Goldwing and my helmet are NOT Bluetooth (2006) I have to hard wire.

I also want to move the unit from the bike to my car like I do my 665.

1. Does it have a speaker?
2. Does it have an aux out?
3. Is there a car mount.
4. I know it will stream music, but will it stream my ballgames?

I apologize if theses have been asked and answered.
Ray N.
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Re: More pre-purchase questions please

Post by Ray N. »

It does have a speaker, but it's not loud enough to hear on a motorcycle. It does not have an aux. out.
I'm not sure about a ballgame. Maybe if you could get it on your phone, but you would still need blue tooth
headset to hear it. Sorry.
2021 Goldwing DCT Tour - Zumo XT
burtsr
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by burtsr »

Thanks, but is there any way to mount it in a car?

Was wondering if the speaker was loud enough for a car?
Wobbler
Great Britain

Post by Wobbler »

Yes, you can use it in the car. I use mine in the car mount & can hear directions (audio) clearly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Toronto Paul
Has liked: 1 time
Canada

Post by Toronto Paul »

Honestly, I’d hold onto your 665.

I moved from a 590 to an XT and the Bluetooth has +’s and -‘s.

You can get a little Bluetooth receiver and connect that gizmo to your bikes AUX in. I ordered a bunch of them from Amazon to try out but the XT was just seeing all of them as a music device and not a headset. It would play music through the Bluetooth receiver but the turn by turn directions only came through the built in speaker. There is no way to patch it inside the XT.

The easiest solution I found was a pair of Sony Wi-XB400 earbuds that fit under my full face helmet. The actual earbuds are connected by a small wire with the Bluetooth receiver and battery residing on it. That makes the earbuds smaller (so they fit under your helmet) and the battery life longer than the air pod style. The XT sees these earbuds as a headset so directions and music go through.

The XT seems to use two different Bluetooth protocols. A higher quality one for music that uses a bit of a bufffer and a lower quality one without a buffer for directions so they play without any delay. Music sounds fine, the directions sound like they are coming though AM radio.

A couple other little bugs I’ve noticed.

If I’m playing music/podcast from my phone, the XT doesn’t pause playback to play directions. Not the worst if you’re listening to music but brutal for podcasts.

If I’m using my phone as a source for music/podcast (Android), if I pause playback for more than a minute or so, the playback functions of the media player go dead. It won’t start again. I have to pull over and hit play on the phone to get it working again.

If you pair your phone via Bluetooth to your car, you have none of these issues so it isn’t a problem with the phone.

Hope that helps.
1998 BMW R1200C - Zumo XT