Distance to next turn error

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
VFRcanada
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Distance to next turn error

Post by VFRcanada »

Three times today my XT told me it was over 15kms to my next turn when I could see the corner less then 1/2 a kilometer ahead. When I got to within a few hundred feet of the corner it would correct itself. Why does it not show the proper distance?
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Distance to next turn error

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

I had a very similar problem when I got a new-to-me 590. You can read through the post that I had to see if it's the same solution. About halfway down the page is the "Solved" post.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=786
Bottom line - for mine - check your route for shaping points that are placed AT an intersection. That was the problem with mine. If you move the shaping point a hundred feet after the intersection, the problem should go away. Let us know if that fixes it.
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
VFRcanada
Been liked: 4 times
Canada

Post by VFRcanada »

That could be my problem. I had dragged some shaping points to the road I wanted to ride on to change my route but I was zoomed out too far and didn't notice that the points were on intersections with side roads. The distance from that intersection to my actual corner was the same as what the GPS counted down to.
Thanks
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

I have seen that myself, I'll pay more attention in the future to points.
any shaping point at an intersection ?? or one at that location ??

mine has said turn on road X in Greater distance, sometimes 1/2 mile or miles. I am sitting at the corner, of Road X and the road I was on.
doesn't seem like a shaping point running me past the intersection,
its very strange, I was going to take a picture last time i saw it, or screen shot. i don't use a headset, so I peek, then enjoy the ride, I have tracks displayed as well, so deviation is easily seen.

good to know of a possible fix, thanks for your update.