Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Plainmad
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Zumo XT spoken directions - road names

Post by Plainmad »

All

I’ve recently got a zumo XT and for how I use it I’m very impressed with it apart from the waypoint to shaping point bug. One minor annoyance I’ve found however is how the spoken directions.

I’m in the uk where our roads frequently have a number and name. Eg A487 London Road. What I’ve found is the Zumo when giving directions at a roundabout for example will say something like take the 2nd exit onto London Road.
All our street signs to assist with getting into the correct lane approaching the roundabout will only have the number so the A487.
It should be saying at the roundabout take the second exit onto the A487 (and then perhaps add London Road).

Is there a way to get it to do this or is this a possible bug of the device?
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT spoken directions - road names

Post by Exurban »

As far as I know you can’t “fix” it and it is not a bug. I complained to Garmin about it a decade ago. I don’t recall the the exact response but it involves the source of the data and the company that actually produces and digitizes the maps, which at the time at least, wasn’t Garmin. I think street naming conventions are based on postal address names or municipality recognized names which are in most places not route numbers.

In the US, the source digital data is TIGER from the Census. The company that produced Garmin’s map was I believe Nav-Tech, now Navteq. I would guess other countries have similar sources. At any rate, it’s not something Garmin controls.

So in the UK, is the second exit of a roundabout the same as in the US? ;)
Last edited by Exurban on Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

More road numbers are used than names compared to many years ago but no, there is no way to change it. However it doesn't really matter, the second exit of the roundabout is always the second exit off the roundabout ;)
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Plainmad wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:29 am All

I’ve recently got a zumo XT and for how I use it I’m very impressed with it apart from the waypoint to shaping point bug. One minor annoyance I’ve found however is how the spoken directions.

I’m in the uk where our roads frequently have a number and name. Eg A487 London Road. What I’ve found is the Zumo when giving directions at a roundabout for example will say something like take the 2nd exit onto London Road.
All our street signs to assist with getting into the correct lane approaching the roundabout will only have the number so the A487.
It should be saying at the roundabout take the second exit onto the A487 (and then perhaps add London Road).

Is there a way to get it to do this or is this a possible bug of the device?
It has been like this since I had my Garmin Quest! - That was getting on for 20 years ago.
Plainmad
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Plainmad »

Ahh that’s a shame but thanks for the replies everyone.

I can’t believe it’s the mapping data as if I’m right Garmin get there data from Here maps. Now my BMW gets its mapping data from Here as well and it says the road number instead of names.

Seems such a small but basic feature that you would have thought Garmin would know about and fix as every other sat nav seems to do it that way.

Haha and I know what you all mean about is the second exit the same but I’m talking about getting into the correct lane for the second exit!! :D
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Exurban »

Here and Navteq are parts of the same company.
Vespamarc
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times
Belgium

Post by Vespamarc »

When you are in France, it gives the road numbers, "second exit D940"
tourman
United States of America

Post by tourman »

How do you get spoken directions? I'm in the US
simoncrewe
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

tourman wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:52 am How do you get spoken directions? I'm in the US
Turn the sound on ! and use routeable maps.

Seriously you need to select 'spoken navigation' instructions, it is in the speaker symbol on the main menu, under sounds.