Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Complex Riding Routes Doubling back

Post by jfheath »

You are most welcome.

Re the start point. It works well putting it well up the road with the 590 and XT. I used to do it with the 660, but that used to navigate you to where the start point is located, and the stop navigating , so you had to reload the route.

Putting it up the road also solves the oh so common user error. When it asks 'select next destination' and presents the start and end points, selecting the start is the obvious thing to do. It seems that a lot of people that select the end, and then complain that the satnav has ignored their planned route.

But a point well up the road gives the opportunity to go to the shops, get fuel, find coffee, and still gets you to the start point from wherever you end up.

Now the XT has 'Closest Entry Point', this is a good catch-all and although I haven't tried it in anger, I have tested what it does with simulations, and it seems to work very well - providing you have the latest software 2.7.0 installed.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
JohnnyRidesAlone
Been liked: 9 times
Great Britain

Post by JohnnyRidesAlone »

Yes I must admit that the closest starting point annoys me a bit as i know where I am and where the point is so can get caught with that. I guess it may help if you foul things up and need to restart.
Ducati Multistrada V4S and ST4s
Every zumo from 550 590 660 XT
Victor kipkosgei
Kenya

Post by Victor kipkosgei »

:That is true
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

JohnnyRidesAlone wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:34 pm Yes I must admit that the closest starting point annoys me a bit as i know where I am and where the point is so can get caught with that. I guess it may help if you foul things up and need to restart.
Yes, but in practice, now that it works properly, it is much better than that.
Even if you know where you are and where the route is - when you start the route you only have 2 other options.

One is to start the route and keep pressing skip to delete each of the Shaping Points and Via Points until the route starts navigating forwards.
The other is to select a point from the list of Next Destinations. But only the Via Points are displayed, so doing that could miss out Shaping Points.

'Next Destination' works out the closest point and takes you to it and continues from there. It won't always be the quickest way to get onto the route though. Imaging you have beend riding on a road alongside a 5 mile long lake. The route is on the other side of the lake, and you are just 2 miles along the road on the wrong side. The closest point on the route which is closest is 2 miles back the way you have come, and that it the way the satnave would take you. Whereas the quickest way to join the route would be to ride the remaining 3 miles on this side of the lake.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.