XT Does Not Pass Rain Test

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: XT Does Not Pass Rain Test

Post by cr0100 »

woodyflyer wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:24 pm While riding in the rain my XT screen went wild and not responding to my glove inputs and total unusable, had to stop and complete dry the screen, but as soon as the screen became wet again it went wild again.
I contacted Garmin and they replied asking if a screen protector was fitted ?
My XT has tempered glass screen protector fitted .
Garmin next reply said that it was the screen protector that caused the issue !
So for those who have had no issues in the rain - Do you have a screen protector fitted or not , just in case Garmin are blaming the screen protector rather than the XT.

Interested to hear the comments

Woody
In some frog-choker downpours, I'd get "phantom button presses" from the rain but only occasionally, and not to the extent that the screen would go "wild". I've heard from others that a screen protector on top of it does make it more sensitive to raindrops... can't explain why.
semmyroundel
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by semmyroundel »

XIKO29 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:16 pm
mastercore wrote:Leaving the internet is like leaving a theater because someone farted.
The movie is good, and the theater is fine.

My metaphor is giving these social media giants and all those that dream of milking their customers in similar ways a HUGE pass.

At leas the person who farted did not do it intentionally, and did not pick pocket all the others in the theater while they were distracted
But ALL of them does it:

- USA, China, etc
- Google, Apple, Xiaomi, etc

The Garmin Drive is too sent you informations about the traffic on your route. Also, it works with the new crash/accident "feature".

What seems that you haven't realised yet, is that all of them already fart in your (ours) face. Every company, and some countries, collects data for their own interests or for selling to other companies (which gives them a huge revenue).
So, if you use internet (doesn't matter if you have Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc), your data is already being used, and it's not only (or the worst) Garmin who collects it!
Yes, but the point is that when we can, we block it.
It's the very fact that they're constantly doing it that it makes it incumbent upon us to do our bit.
I have an Echo dot at home, I know they're listening, I can't avoid that other than getting rid of it, except when it's off, they can't as I bought a simple inline switch to power down the unit for the 99% of the time that we're not actually asking it to play music by Black Sabbath
V-Tom
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 15 times
Canada

Post by V-Tom »

I spoke to Garmin help (Canada) a few weeks ago after experiencing the phantom button pushing in heavy rain at speed. After a bit of factual discussion back and forth they replaced my unit. It wasn't until this past weekend that I finally got into heavy rain and the replacement had no issue with it.

..Tom
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

Interesting! Maybe my unit is actually having problems. I got "phantom button presses" during a ride in what I would call pretty light rain last week. Time to get ahold of support...
toni
Belgium

Post by toni »

same problem here but solved by garmin with a new one no questions asked but also no explanation whatsoever.
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

I contacted Garmin - basically said "should raindrops be registering as button presses on my Zumo XT?" and their response was exactly this:

"Are you using a screen protector? If so, please remove it. It can cause the rain to pool on the device. If not, please provide your serial number so we can set up an exchange."

So I guess I am going to get a new unit? Yow!
cr0100
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

Replacement unit received... it seems to be working well so far. Holding it under a steady stream of water from the tap it DOES still register as touches, but turn that tap down to individual drops and it seems more resistant than the old unit. I'll have to wait for the real test (in rain, outdoors) to know for sure if there's been an improvement.
Thrasherg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Thrasherg »

I just purchased 2 new Zumo XT's directly from Garmin, one for me and the other for my wife. We rode our first ride with them last weekend and it rained quite heavily and both GPS's went mad, the screen was moving around, it was selecting menus and changing options!! The GPS's were unusable, 2 hours later the rain stopped and everything went back to normal, no water seems to have got into the GPS, it just appears to be the rain drops on the screen are being sensed as me touching the screen. I called Garmin and as mentioned they suggested removing the screen protector, I did this, but just flicking water drops on the screen still made both units change screen settings and menus. Garmin immediately offered to exchange both units, but mine are brand new and I assume any exchange unit is really a reconditioned unit, I don't want a reconditioned unit when I just bought new ones. I suspect this is really a design weakness of the unit (screen touch is too sensitive) I was hoping there may be a way to turn the touch screen on and off (using the power button on the rear), but Garmin says there isn't. I bought some plexi glass and made a clear cover that I can just clip on the GPS when it rains to stop the rain getting on the screen, its not a great solution, I was really dissapointed by this, my previous 660 that I had for 81- years never misbehaved in the rain.. I suspect this will be my last Garmin product purchase, a motorcycle accessory that doesn't work in the rain, is not very practical, I had expected a lot better from Garmin, customer support was very good, but based on all the comments above, even replacement units still mis-behave when water lands on the screen. Ours are on our dual sport bikes, so no fairings to protect them from the rain, and lots of water being splashed about due to river crossings and mud!! Not what I expected for $500 each..

Gary
Philpat
Wales

Post by Philpat »

I have had this rain problem. Even light rain caused the screen to jump.
I fitted a taller screen to the bike and angled the XT close to vertical but still have the problem when rain bounces onto the screen.
I returned the unit to Superbikeshop who sent me a new XT after two weeks.
The first thing I did was to rain test it by simulating rain from a spray bottle and yes this XT failed too but not as bad as the origional.
I think the screen is oversensitive and all XTs would fail this test?
My next step is I have bought a Sun/rain screen from ETSY and when it arrives I will fit a clear perspex screen to this. Let you know how I get on.
toni
Belgium

Post by toni »

a few weeks ago same thing with the new one from last year
back to the store and the manager said he had the same issue with his, the raindrops trigger the screen
at the moment no solution from garmin
not very satisfying for such a product to say the least...