XT Does Not Pass Rain Test

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
lawingnutz
United States of America

XT Does Not Pass Rain Test

Post by lawingnutz »

I’ve had my Garmin Zumo XT for about 1 month and ridden through a few rain showers. Last week i got caught in a heavy rain storm and it did not pass the test. It was sent back for a warranty replacement. I will either buy or build a cover to protect the new XT from rain. Hopefully Garmin will provide me with some feedback as to what went wrong. When i had them on the phone they told me they could see when it began to experience issues. They are watching and no doubt listening. I asked them why they didn’t contact me when the saw the problem happening.
Exurban
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: XT Does Not Pass Rain Test

Post by Exurban »

Maybe a QC issue on some? I’ve been in steady rain for hours and once in a blinding godawful deluge for well over an hour with no ill effects. I also obsessively make sure the rubber covers in back are properly in place. It’ll be interesting to hear if it’s a QC problem or a design flaw.
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

when you say, it did not pass the test.... what did it do or what was the issue ??
mine has been dry since i got it, so not sure how they react.

thanks, and hope you have a speedy resolution
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

When i had them on the phone they told me they could see when it began to experience issues. They are watching and no doubt listening. I asked them why they didn’t contact me when the saw the problem happening.
This is a huge concern.
Is Garmin also one of these companies that cannot resist the commercial allure of spying on us and selling our data to pad their bottom lines! This is disgusting and immoral!

It shows a stark and ugly reality of what we as customers are to them. Cattle to be milked.

Personally I have not installed the Garmin app on my phone and have not bothered to connect the Zumo XT to anything via bluetooth.
I have connected the unit to my home WIFI for updates, but that is it.
I can only imagine that to get my data, they would need to log my data off line on the device, then download it whenever the unit gets online.
All the more reason to be carefull about these electronic toys and make sure they are not making a product out of YOU
lawingnutz
United States of America

Post by lawingnutz »

It was obvious that the device suffered water intrusion. The screen was various shades of color. Garmin had acknowledged receipt of the unit and i can only hope that they provide me with some details as to what caused the failure. I think the mount, especially the pins, are a weak link and the two rubber plugs (data port and SD card) are failure points. I will build or buy a cover for added weather protection. Maybe Otterbox will build a case??
lawingnutz
United States of America

Post by lawingnutz »

Garmin promptly send me a completely new Zumo XT. Excellent customer service!! No report from them on what the failure mechanism was or most likely. I also learned that, unlike my IPhone, which backups on its own to the Cloud, you need to manually backup the files on the XT to a laptop. Otherwise you will lose everything if it does crash.
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

mastercore wrote:
When i had them on the phone they told me they could see when it began to experience issues. They are watching and no doubt listening. I asked them why they didn’t contact me when the saw the problem happening.
This is a huge concern.
Is Garmin also one of these companies that cannot resist the commercial allure of spying on us and selling our data to pad their bottom lines! This is disgusting and immoral!

It shows a stark and ugly reality of what we as customers are to them. Cattle to be milked.

Personally I have not installed the Garmin app on my phone and have not bothered to connect the Zumo XT to anything via bluetooth.
I have connected the unit to my home WIFI for updates, but that is it.
I can only imagine that to get my data, they would need to log my data off line on the device, then download it whenever the unit gets online.
All the more reason to be carefull about these electronic toys and make sure they are not making a product out of YOU
So leave the whole internet. Oh wait, it's too late...
mastercore
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 5 times
Australia

Post by mastercore »

Leaving the internet is like leaving a theater because someone farted.
The movie is good, and the theater is fine.

My metaphor is giving these social media giants and all those that dream of milking their customers in similar ways a HUGE pass.

At leas the person who farted did not do it intentionally, and did not pick pocket all the others in the theater while they were distracted
XIKO29
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

mastercore wrote:Leaving the internet is like leaving a theater because someone farted.
The movie is good, and the theater is fine.

My metaphor is giving these social media giants and all those that dream of milking their customers in similar ways a HUGE pass.

At leas the person who farted did not do it intentionally, and did not pick pocket all the others in the theater while they were distracted
But ALL of them does it:

- USA, China, etc
- Google, Apple, Xiaomi, etc

The Garmin Drive is too sent you informations about the traffic on your route. Also, it works with the new crash/accident "feature".

What seems that you haven't realised yet, is that all of them already fart in your (ours) face. Every company, and some countries, collects data for their own interests or for selling to other companies (which gives them a huge revenue).
So, if you use internet (doesn't matter if you have Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc), your data is already being used, and it's not only (or the worst) Garmin who collects it!
Oop North John
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

My XT worked ok after I got rained on and then sprayed from the water on the road yesterday :)