Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Andrew_XT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

MP3 on SD Card

Post by Andrew_XT »

Hi to all

If i put some MP3 file in the SD, the XT Player can't find any file. I have to copy the MP3 in the internal memory in MP3 folder.
For other things the SD work properly.
How can i do for this?

Thank you.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: MP3 on SD Card

Post by cr0100 »

Did you put the files in the root folder, or did you put them in a folder called MP3 on the card?

My Zümo didn't see any of my MP3 files on the SD card until I made a folder called MP3 on the card and moved the files in there.
XIKO29
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

cr0100 wrote:Did you put the files in the root folder, or did you put them in a folder called MP3 on the card?

My Zümo didn't see any of my MP3 files on the SD card until I made a folder called MP3 on the card and moved the files in there.
You have to create that folder.

Then, it doesn't matter if the files are stored on the root of the "MP3" folder or divided by artist (and even album)
Andrew_XT
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Post by Andrew_XT »

I have created the MP3 folder on the SD and It work. :D

Thank you
OregonRider
United States of America

Post by OregonRider »

Within the MP3 folder, can I have other folders?
I have a folder called ROCK. Within that I have a folder for each artist.
I just copied ROCK into MP3 but the XT Music app says that there is no music.
mrmagloo
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by mrmagloo »

Yes, you can have subfolders in the MP3/ folder. I have MP3/Artist/Album/Song.mp3 and it works fine.

Here is another tip. If you guys ever get involved with compilations, do yourself a HUGE favor and make copies, then Zumo versions of those songs, and strip out the Artist and info, or you will end up with a colossal mess. If you don't, you will end up with a bunch of listings of artists/albums with one or two songs each that clutter things up. I've found that the program MP3tag works really great to strip out problematic tags. I only keep song name, track number, and common compilation name, which will show up as an album, and under artist as Unknown. Click on that, and they sort by compilation name, which is much, much cleaner.
XIKO29
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

OregonRider wrote:Within the MP3 folder, can I have other folders?
I have a folder called ROCK. Within that I have a folder for each artist.
I just copied ROCK into MP3 but the XT Music app says that there is no music.
I have "MP3 - Artist - Music files" but then i can search by album.

Don't forget that it only recognise mp3 format.
XIKO29
Portugal

Post by XIKO29 »

mrmagloo wrote:Yes, you can have subfolders in the MP3/ folder. I have MP3/Artist/Album/Song.mp3 and it works fine.

Here is another tip. If you guys ever get involved with compilations, do yourself a HUGE favor and make copies, then Zumo versions of those songs, and strip out the Artist and info, or you will end up with a colossal mess. If you don't, you will end up with a bunch of listings of artists/albums with one or two songs each that clutter things up. I've found that the program MP3tag works really great to strip out problematic tags. I only keep song name, track number, and common compilation name, which will show up as an album, and under artist as Unknown. Click on that, and they sort by compilation name, which is much, much cleaner.
I use MP3Tag for a long time.

I have the name of the song, the album, the number of the track, the year and the "Artist Album".
mervingry
Canada

Post by mervingry »

Andrew_XT wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:52 pm Hi to all

If i put some MP3 file in the SD, the XT Player can't find any file. I have to copy the MP3 in the internal memory in MP3 folder.
For other things the SD work properly.
How can i do for this?

Thank you.
I had the same problem as you. I have two micro SD cards with music that work on my Zumo 660, but were not recognized by the Zumo XT. I tried all sorts of things including reformatting the cards. The solution is to transfer your music directly from your computer to the micro SD card while the card is in the Zumo, and the Zumo is connected to your computer via a USB cable. Create a new folder on the SD card (call it 'MP3') and move your songs into that folder. Here is the link from Garmin describing the process:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?f...u ... gion_music
mrmagloo
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Post by mrmagloo »

XIKO29 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 pm
mrmagloo wrote:Yes, you can have subfolders in the MP3/ folder. I have MP3/Artist/Album/Song.mp3 and it works fine.

I use MP3Tag for a long time.

I have the name of the song, the album, the number of the track, the year and the "Artist Album".
I tend to scrape clean most non-essential elements so that compilations don't litter simple, non-purpose build players/devices like the Zumo, which is pretty crude. Absolutely test what attributes are best to remove based on your preference. I prefer to handle compilations almost like a playlist. Makes life so much easier and less cluttered.