How to save/categorize trips/tracks into separate "folders"

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
JeremyC
United States of America

How to save/categorize trips/tracks into separate "folders"

Post by JeremyC »

Hi Guys

I can transfer GPX files to Zumo XT but the resultants "track" list is confusing. It seems to be a list (in alphabetical order) of waypoints etc.

My two questions are:
- How do I know which line item to choose to start the trip/track?
- How do I save several tracks/trips in separate "folders" so I can choose one to follow?

Appreciated.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Re: How to save/categorize trips/tracks into separate "folders"

Post by sussamb »

Can you provide a bit more detail. Where are you getting these gpx files? Where are you seeing this list of waypoints rather than routes? If it's when you select the route then press go it's showing you the waypoints on the route, choose the one you want to go to first.

As for folder organisation, unless the XT is different from previous devices routes cannot be organised into folders although waypoints can be organised into categories
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

As mentioned, "unless the XT is different from previous devices routes cannot be organised into folders". But a quick look at the specs shows that it uses an SD card. This is how I manage my route files. I do NOT transfer routes to the zumo, I put them on SD cards. Yes plural cardS. Since the file structure in the zumo is unmanageable and [basically] arbitrary, I use separate SD cards. One for areas north, another for areas west, etc. Swap card, import route, done.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
JeremyC
United States of America

Post by JeremyC »

To clarify, in Basecamp I can create folders (such a each US state), and then save all my routes/tracks for that state in each. But the Garmin XT does not seem to follow that convention (is that correct)?

Am I right in thinking that the device itself does not support this "grouping? *Everything* is loaded into on bucket ("Tracks.") What I am finding is that this makes it hard to find a track unless I follow a very strict naming convention, which is fine, but I often get GPX files sent to me by event organizers. The naming here can be chaos, with tracks and waypoints with no way to associate which with what.

What do you guys do? I'm sensing I need to keep a backup of all my GPX files elsewhere, then delete all tracks off the Garmin in readiness for the next ride. I then load in that GPX, ride the event, and then delete that when I have finished.

That seems a strange approach. Help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeremy
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Favourites/saved places will accept Categories from BaseCamp but tracks/routes go into the same place. The way you're suggesting to handle it is the way I would do it if I had lots of routes but I generally only have around 20 so not really an issue for me.
rbentnail
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 200 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

JeremyC wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:10 pm To clarify, in Basecamp I can create folders (such a each US state), and then save all my routes/tracks for that state in each. But the Garmin XT does not seem to follow that convention (is that correct)?
That is correct.

Am I right in thinking that the device itself does not support this "grouping? *Everything* is loaded into on bucket ("Tracks.") What I am finding is that this makes it hard to find a track unless I follow a very strict naming convention, which is fine, but I often get GPX files sent to me by event organizers. The naming here can be chaos, with tracks and waypoints with no way to associate which with what.
You are seeing the light now. Your Garmin device has no grouping-type file structure like Base Camp does.

What do you guys do? I'm sensing I need to keep a backup of all my GPX files elsewhere, then delete all tracks off the Garmin in readiness for the next ride. I then load in that GPX, ride the event, and then delete that when I have finished.
This is exactly what I do by putting routes on different SD cards and importing them as needed. When no longer needed I delete the route. This removes the route from the device but not from the SD card. It's a pain only because the cards are so small now, not like the old days. I also copy my music library to the card as well.

That seems a strange approach. Help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeremy
For folks with a limited number of routes, leaving them on the device works fine. But I have on the order of 200 different routes in Base Camp. Serious file structuring and naming conventions that make sense to me have to be followed to keep them straight. Separating them by using regional SD cards is the most efficient way I've found to do that.

I can't help with tracks, I use routes only. But still, what you say is also what I do. If I make a route on the device on the fly or in the very rare case get someone elses file for use and want to save it permanently, it gets saved elsewhere then deleted from the device. I'm kind of anal about it: I make/save everything in Base Camp and export everything to a Documents file to be backed up regularly with all my other computer files.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

Explore can have folders, and syncs on the xt. You can create and manage folders on the website.
I hade great luck riding a track, converted to a trip. It worked perfectly.

Trip planner I'm not seeing a search, or anything to help sort or find trips.
I'll play with routes more in explore to see how they look and work.
I had a track/trip loaded 3 different ways for testing, going off route, restarting the trip, things like that. Still getting use to the xt, it's my first garmin. I have a tomtom rider 40 / 400 for the last 4 years and 97k miles riding and towing motorcycles to ride.
Dotcom
Has liked: 1 time
Vietnam

Post by Dotcom »

I’m in XT file management hell. Wish the Garmin XT would have some options to sort routes and tracks. Preferably by file name.
After importing a long trip broken down into eight numbered sections. The order of the tracks gets all mixed up after syncing with Garmin explore.
Called Garmin support and they have had only one other complaint on the issue.

Does anyone know how they sort tracks and routes. It’s not by name or distance away.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Nope, never been able to work out how trip planner sorts trips. What you can do is set start times for trips and they then display in start time order.
Dotcom
Has liked: 1 time
Vietnam

Post by Dotcom »

Garmin Explore cloud app allows one to manage a library. Folders and files can be sorted numerous ways. It’s on the XT and other devices too.