Basecamp and PCs with multiple drives

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Fitz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Basecamp and PCs with multiple drives

Post by Fitz »

Hi, non-techie computing question alert!

I recently replaced my laptop with one that has a SSD for programs and a HDD for data. In capacity terms the HDD is much larger than the SSD.

When I get around to installing Basecamp on the new laptop, does everything need to be on the same drive? Or could I have, say, Basecamp itself on the SSD; maps and my routes on the HDD?

Has anyone tried similar and had success or experienced problems?

Thanks!
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Basecamp and PCs with multiple drives

Post by sussamb »

You can point BaseCamp at a database anywhere, so you can have that on the hard drive, the maps can also be placed there but you'll need to start with them on the SSD then use the GMTK program from JaVaWa to move them as it then sets up the necessary registry entries.

If you still have the old laptop you can also use GMTK to back up the maps from it to a removable drive then use GMTK to install them on the new laptop.
Fitz
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
Ireland

Post by Fitz »

Thanks very much for the advice sussamb. On transferring maps, although I do still have the old laptop, I was planning just to download the maps afresh on my new laptop, having assumed that the Lifetime maps option would just let me do that?
sussamb
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes it will, but I didn't know what maps were involved. I have around 10 different ones that I use, a mix of On the road and On the trail ones so in my case GMTK is simplest :D