590 and wired headset

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
yorky
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

590 and wired headset

Post by yorky »

Hi all, newbie here and a not very tech savvy one at that, so please bear with me.
I have the Zumo 590 connected to a Sena bluetooth headset, once I reach a sensible cruising speed I can no longer hear the GPS voice commands or the phone, should it ring.
To solve this issue I am going to go back to wired earbuds with attached microphone.
My problem is, when I attach the earbuds to a 3.5mm female jack, which splits into two 3.5mm male connectors, one for mic., one for speaker and then connect these to the Zumo wiring loom, no one can hear me talking. I can hear the GPS commands and anyone who calls me but they can't hear me.
Any ideas what could be the issue please.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Re: 590 and wired headset

Post by Stu »

Your zumo has an audio in jack which is for the mic

To be honest I would figure out the sena issues

Have you checked volume levels and speaker placement? I can reach 120+ mph before I start to lose sound
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Hi Stu,
I know the Zumo has an audio in jack on its wiring loom, this is what I attach the male microphone connector into, but people still cannot hear me. The audio out works fine for both GPS and phone.
Breezly
Subscriber
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by Breezly »

Can you just plug the earbuds into the Sena? I use sound isolating earbuds with a Sena and works great.
Learn Garmin Basecamp with New England Riders Tutorial:
https://www.newenglandriders.org/learn-basecamp/
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Breezly wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:24 pm Can you just plug the earbuds into the Sena? I use sound isolating earbuds with a Sena and works great.
Hi, no unfortunately not. The Sena is the 3S version which is a very slimmed down version with minimal connections.

I am going to try my setup in a friends bike at the weekend. He also has the 590 so I will be able to determine if it's my connectors / wiring loom or a more general issue.
Tyke150
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Tyke150 »

the 590 should be the same as the 595 ???

I have just fitted a 595LM to my BMW which has an Autocom wired intercom system (fitted in 2008 )....

The 590/5. has a multi lead ( if thats the correct term ) from the bike mount which has;-

Audio out.,....audio in.....Mic in ..( usb charge / mp3 connection ) .......I connected my Autocomm to the Zumo using an Autocomm 4066 lead ( £55 !!!! a rip off but it does the job )

I think that you will need to fit some type of wired intercom system to enable two way audio....and a mic connection .. I don't think that connecting a pair of mobile phone ear phones will work as they wont be able to connect to audio/in/out/mic

or look at another bluetooth headset - which may end up being the cheaper / easier method..

best of luck though
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Cheers Tyke,
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. I am connecting my male mic. jack into the "audio in" female jack. Is the mic jack on the zumo wiring the smaller female jack of the three??
Tyke150
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Tyke150 »

yes....the small of the three is the MIC ...If you look closely its marked on the plug..had to borrow wifes specs to see mine :)
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

:D :D Excellent, thank you.
So what I now need to find is a female 3.5mm jack that splits into a 3.5mm and 2.5mm male jacks instead of the two 3.5's that I have been trying to use.
Google here I come :lol:
yorky
Great Britain

Post by yorky »

Just ordered this,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chargeline-Aud ... cs&sr=1-24
hopefully that may solve the problem.
I will let you know the result sometime next week :D