Nav V map updates

Having problems with your BMW navigator 5? then please post here with any sat nav, software, mount or cradle problems.
doebag
Great Britain

Nav V map updates

Post by doebag »

Evening all.
Found my way here from the old forum.
I am having trouble updating the maps on a Nav V for a friend.
I managed to update the maps on my Zumo 660 and an old nuvi 255 easily, but have come to a dead end on the Nav V.
I have it added to my Garmin Express, and managed to update the software, but when I look for the maps update the only option I get is for adding speed cameras.
Any suggestions please ?
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Nav V map updates

Post by sussamb »

Do you have lifetime maps for the Nav V? If Express isn't showing an update you may not, or there may not be an update for that model.
doebag
Great Britain

Post by doebag »

sussamb wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:37 pm Do you have lifetime maps for the Nav V? If Express isn't showing an update you may not, or there may not be an update for that model.
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess there are no map updates for the Nav V, as I have just retried my 660 and that only offers speed camera updates as well, now that I have updated it a few days ago.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

If you are wanting new maps for these units, have you looked into the Open Street Map option..
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM ... n/Download
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I've had to go this route to get new maps for my SP2820....
The maps appear to be as accurate as Garmin's, though the 'where to' database seems to be lacking a bit when searching......not that I'm complaining as you get what you pay for and these are free, or a donation if you feel inclined.
jack777
Australia

Post by jack777 »

I've downloaded a couple of country maps but when I set up a route in Basecamp it shows as straight lines, like the Global map. Any suggestions as to what I've done wrong? Thanks Jack
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You may be using maps that aren't routeable or you have the direct activity selected in BaseCamp.
jack777
Australia

Post by jack777 »

Sorry, what do you mean by "direct activity"??
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

BaseCamp uses activity profiles, see Edit, Options, Activity profile. If you have the Direct activity selected then you get straight lines between points.
MSTOCK27370
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by MSTOCK27370 »

jack777 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 am I've downloaded a couple of country maps but when I set up a route in Basecamp it shows as straight lines, like the Global map. Any suggestions as to what I've done wrong? Thanks Jack
In BaseCamp, go to the "Maps" menu. You should see the new map that you downloaded. Make sure that the map is selected, not the Global Map.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (16.25 KiB) Viewed 9715 times
Michael S.
Trinity, North Carolina
Zumo 590LM, 396LM, 550 BMW R1100RT, R100, R60/6
jack777
Australia

Post by jack777 »

I did that but still straight lines.

Also when plotting a route in Europe, I have to keep changing the country map, as there is not a transition across borders - is there any way to have more than 1 map referenced at a time? Thanks Jack