Base camp as default .gpx app and others

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
Controlu
Has liked: 2 times
United States of America

Base camp as default .gpx app and others

Post by Controlu »

1. Using windows 10, I’m trying to set the default on file type .gpx to be opened with Basecamp. Can’t do it, base camp is not listed as an app. Is there a fix?
2. How many shaping points, route points, waypoints are allowed for a route/track on the Zuno 396?
3. Can points “Will not alert” be changed to “Will alert” or other way around? Is there more than one alert sound? Would like to have an optional sound or icon for “Fuel Stop”. Riding motorcycles in the blue ridge mountain back roads can result in a long way between fuel stations. There are times when fuel is needed at a half tank because the next possible stop is further than I can go if I don’t “top off”.
sussamb
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 353 times
Great Britain

Re: Base camp as default .gpx app and others

Post by sussamb »

1. It's listed in Win 7 for me, I'll try my Win10 laptop when I can
2. For a Zumo 396 you can have up to 30 points in a route, between points (start, end and via points) you can have 125 shaping points. In a track it's 10,000 points.
3. Yes, where are you trying to change them, in BaseCamp or on your 396? Don't believe you can add custom sounds but then I've never wanted to, if they're set to alert and you've called them say, fuel stop, then your 396 will announce them as fuel stop.

Edit: If App isn't listed in Win10 (works on mine) just scroll down where it says look for other Apps on your PC ... then point it at BaseCamp.exe
rbentnail
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 194 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Controlu wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:49 pm 1. Using windows 10, I’m trying to set the default on file type .gpx to be opened with Basecamp. Can’t do it, base camp is not listed as an app. Is there a fix?
I'm kind of reading into what you're asking here: are you asking that if someone sends you a gpx file can you use Base Camp to open it as if it were a pdf file with Adobe? No, you can't, at least I've never figured out how to do it b/c Base Camp is not an app. What you can do though is open Base Camp and file/import that gpx file into Base Camp and then save, export, whatever you want to do with it.

2. How many shaping points, route points, waypoints are allowed for a route/track on the Zuno 396?
Sorry, no help here.

3. Can points “Will not alert” be changed to “Will alert” or other way around? Is there more than one alert sound? Would like to have an optional sound or icon for “Fuel Stop”. Riding motorcycles in the blue ridge mountain back roads can result in a long way between fuel stations. There are times when fuel is needed at a half tank because the next possible stop is further than I can go if I don’t “top off”.
Yes, in Base Camp will/will not alert is easily done but again, I can't help if you're trying it on the gps device itself. Also I have no idea about importing custom sounds- I rarely use the audio.
It was mentioned in another thread you started, go through the http://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp.htm tutorial. It explains some of what you are asking. Also- sounds like you need a different bike! Mine has a 6.6 gallon tank, no problems on the BRP for me ;). Where are you located? We have a few guys here in central NC that like to have a RTE now and then. It'll be maybe June before I can get out & about again- I get a new hip next month!
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Sorry but your reply to 1. is wrong. You can have BaseCamp open gpx files simply by clicking on them.

2. I've answered.

3. It can be done easily on the device too, just need the OP to confirm exactly what he wants, see my post.
advnzer
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times
New Zealand

Post by advnzer »

In Win 10 i think you can right click and use "open with".I can't say exactly how it came about but i can open a gpx with basecamp or notepad
gpx.jpg
gpx.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 4469 times
Last edited by advnzer on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

And if you tap Choose another app you can do so, or add BaseCamp if it doesn't show. That's another way to do it different to the one I posted above, but both enable you to assign BaseCamp to open a gpx file.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

sussamb wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:44 pm Sorry but your reply to 1. is wrong. You can have BaseCamp open gpx files simply by clicking on them.
As I stated, I have yet to find a way to open a gpx file simply but clicking or double clicking on it. If you'd like to provide detailed steps on how to do so, we're listening. But, same as the OP, on my WIN10 laptop Base Camp is not listed as an app to be used to open files. Alternately, I can open Base Camp, import the gpx file, then view it.
Attachments
gpx file.JPG
gpx file.JPG (27.39 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 398 times
Been liked: 212 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:15 pm
sussamb wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:44 pm Sorry but your reply to 1. is wrong. You can have BaseCamp open gpx files simply by clicking on them.
As I stated, I have yet to find a way to open a gpx file simply but clicking or double clicking on it. If you'd like to provide detailed steps on how to do so, we're listening. But, same as the OP, on my WIN10 laptop Base Camp is not listed as an app to be used to open files. Alternately, I can open Base Camp, import the gpx file, then view it.
right click a gpx file click on open with select basecamp and tick the box that says always open with this app

Thats on windows 10 by the way

Or go to settings and search for file type then you can associate default apps to file types
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Exactly. If BaseCamp isn't shown scroll down where you can choose 'More apps', if still not listed scroll down to where it says 'Look for another app on this PC', then browse to BaseCamp.exe and select it.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Stu wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 pm right click a gpx file click on open with select basecamp and tick the box that says always open with this app

Thats on windows 10 by the way

Or go to settings and search for file type then you can associate default apps to file types
The screenshot I posted above is what I get when I right click on any and all gpx files on my Win10 laptop. Additionally, the screenshot below is what I get when I attempt to set Base Camp as my default app for gpx files. Note that even though there are numerous gpx files on my Win10 laptop, that file extension is not on my list in SETTINGS.

Suggestions for setting a default app for opening unknown-to-my-computer files are greatly appreciated. What am I missing?
sussamb wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:59 pm Exactly. If BaseCamp isn't shown scroll down where you can choose 'More apps', if still not listed scroll down to where it says 'Look for another app on this PC', then browse to BaseCamp.exe and select it.
Again, the screenshot above is what I get when I right click any and all gpx files on my Win10 laptop. There is no option available for me to click 'More apps'.
Attachments
gpx file search.JPG
gpx file search.JPG (29.38 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT