590 not charging in cradle

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
Jeffreygebler
Australia

590 not charging in cradle

Post by Jeffreygebler »

I have a 590 that has been on my bike for the last 8 years and have had no issues until recently.
The unit charges thought the cable and USB port but doesn't charge once on the bikes cradle.
I changed the battery several years ago but not sure if it is the battery this time or another issue.
I also run an XT but greatly prefer the routing of my old 590.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
jfheath
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 658 times
Great Britain

Re: 590 not charging in cradle

Post by jfheath »

Welcome to the forum !

Charging via USB port, but not via the cradle ?

That suggests that the battery connection via that little white connector under the battery cover is OK. The pins often do not connect properly and need some tweaking - but if it is charging via the usb cable, that method uses the same connection to the battery.

The only other places to look are the power supply from the bike.

1. The fuse. Check it hasn't blown, check that it is seated properly.
2. The contact with the battery - however you have yours wired up
3. The contact strip on the rear of the case - make sure that the contacts are clean.
4. The pins on the cradle. They are sprung - make sure that they are all operating correctly.

Find someone else with a wired 590 or 595 cradle. See if your 590 gets power from their cradle.
THe UK models came with a cradle for use int he car, powere with a special lead and a cigarette lighter plug. If you have one of those, try that - see if the unit springs into life.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
LQQK_OUT
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

I have a similar issue with a 595 cradle. Does anyone know which pins I can test on the cradle with a DVM to make sure I am getting power to the GPS device?
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 121 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

660-59x mount pinout.png
660-59x mount pinout.png (207.54 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Top two are +12V, next two down are ground.
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by LQQK_OUT »

Thank you for the pogo pin information. Seems as though my 595 cradle is broken. I have verified power at the cradle power connections and the fuse is good. I did not measure any power on pin 18. I've verified the GPS works in a car cradle so I know the GPS is working. This is the second time I've had a 595 cradle fail in my 2011 Harley-Davidson Electra-Glide Ultra in the last (5) years and about 95,000 miles. I'm not sure if the motorcycles vibration is causing the cradle failures, but after the 1st cradle failure, I purchased a TouraTech locking GPS mount (# 065-0791) for the express reason the TouraTech mount has rubber isolators for vibration protection. When I replaced the last cradle, the cost was US$69.00. Now the price for a replacement cradle has shot up to US$120. For that price I might as well purchase an XT2. And I leave tomorrow on a trip where I was depending on using my GPS for routing on all sorts of backroads. I'll probably just use the GPS with the car mount, usb cable and place the unit in a tank bag and figure this all out when I get back. If anyone knows what might be broken in the cradle and if it can be repaired, please let me know.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Tourate ... ebar-Mount
Zumo 595LM
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU
1993 Harley-Davidson FLSTF