Tread app drains battery on Android phone

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
tigeradv
Great Britain

Tread app drains battery on Android phone

Post by tigeradv »

Hi - I have an XT2 and also have the Tread app installed on my Samsung Android phone. I haven't worked out exactly what is happening, but the Tread app is killing the battery on my phone, and sometimes even when I haven't used either the Tread app or switched my XT2 on.

If I notice that my battery on my phone has suddenly lost a lot of charge, I go into Settings > Device Care > Battery. Here I will see the Tread app is at the top of the list of apps that is using the battery. From within Device Care I can select the Optimize option to put background apps to sleep which, usually but not always, fixes the problem. This is fine as long as I spot that my phone is discharging, but if I'm riding my bike I don't see the state of the battery on my phone and end up with a near flat battery - I now have to carry a battery pack in my top box so I can recharge my phone.....grrrrrr!!!

Any ideas as to how I can stop the Tread app from doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me mad!

Thanks!
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
Zumo XT2 + Sena 50R + Samsung S8
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Re: Tread app drains battery on Android phone

Post by electro_handyman »

I had a similar issue with the Drive app when it was 1st released. I couldn't stop it from loading in the background when I didn't need it.
I ended up totally uninstalling it when I didn't need to use it. it was a pain, but it was the only way I found at the time.

I have noticed that since my last install for a trip last month that it is not loading in the background anymore unless I start it. So maybe they found their bug. That or my android system is working better... Time will tell.
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 121 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

By coincidence, I just uninstalled the Drive app because it was always running in the background. My phone gets little use as a phone, mostly I use it to read ebooks, listen to audiobooks and music, check the weather, do a little forum browsing. I noticed last week that Drive was always the biggest user of my battery power, even though I had not used the app or my XT. I tried turning the phone off and back on and a day later Drive was back as the biggest battery user. It is not a huge drain, but it is still about 6-8% over any time period, which I think is too much for an app that is not doing anything.

I'll reinstall it as needed, and hope that a newer version will come out that can run only when I launch it.
Great Britain

Post by tigeradv »

Thanks @lkraus and @electro_handyman for your replies.

For now I've uninstalled the Tread app from my phone as, for example, one morning after a full night of charge, the Tread app had consumed 79% of the phone battery by mid-day. I think it's the unpredictability of the consumption of battery that is so annoying.

I'm also wondering whether it's something to do with my Samsung S8 as if this was a common issue I would (a) have found many results on the internet for this issue, and (b) had more replies from this forum. I've promised myself that I will save my pennies and I'll be replacing my S8 with a S24 before the end of the year.......I will see how that goes with the Tread app. I'll also try re-installing the Tread app at some point just in case it makes a difference, but the version I uninstalled was the current version.
2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx
Zumo XT2 + Sena 50R + Samsung S8