Using a Packtalk Edge with a Zumo 595

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
OldRS
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Using a Packtalk Edge with a Zumo 595

Post by OldRS »

I've, reluctantly, acquired a Packtalk Edge.

My current connectivity uses the 595 as the hub for an iphone and a no-name BT headset. The phone provides traffic and weather data from Garmin Smart Link to the Zumo.

Cardo support believes that I have a TFT!

Can someone advise how I connect things such that I retain the data feed to the Zumo from the phone?

Thank you.
Owner of a, greatly treasured, Zumo 550 and, deeply loathed, Zumo 595.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Re: Using a Packtalk Edge with a Zumo 595

Post by Stu »

OldRS wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm Cardo support believes that I have a TFT!
Have you told them what bike you have?
OldRS wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm
Can someone advise how I connect things such that I retain the data feed to the Zumo from the phone?
Just re pair the new headset to the 595 in place of the current one
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Stu wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 pm
OldRS wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm Cardo support believes that I have a TFT!
Have you told them what bike you have?

Nope, I just said "I have a Zumo 595 and an iphone" . . . They may not have enountered a bike without an all singing, theft-prone, dashboard ;-)
OldRS wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm
Just re pair the new headset to the 595 in place of the current one
There seem to be a multitude of channels and other functions within the Edge providing multiple opportunities to screw everything!
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

OldRS wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:10 pm
There seem to be a multitude of channels and other functions within the Edge providing multiple opportunities to screw everything!
If you follow the instructions then everything will work fine

you pair the GPS as a GPS to the headset and just pair the phone to the GPS as normal
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The way that I set it up is the way Garmin intends, not as the way Cardo intends.

Pair the edge to the 595 as a second phone, not as a GPS. I think that You need the voice going through the 595 - in effect, it needs to be seen as a phone by the headset.

Pair the phone to the 595 as the first phone.

You lose ability to control your phone with your headset. I don't want or use voice control for my phone. But the 595 takes over all of the telephone functions.

I think that the 595 will display messages etc. I can check that out if you wish, I still have a 595 , but Ive used an XT since then. Its easy to get confused

Any music, put it on the 595's mp3 player. It is much better quality.

The 595 can handle the data feed and the phone input and the headset with its BT channels.

You sometimes have to go into the BT setting for the phone and switch on the various BT feeds it can handle - the little icons that it shows.
I have a pdf somewhere which describes this - I think for the 590, but there is little difference between that and the 595.

Found it ! Download the pdf. It uses a cheapo BT headset so the focus is on the connections at the Zumo end.

viewtopic.php?p=3204&hilit=bluetooth+zumo#p3204
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:49 pm The way that I set it up is the way Garmin intends, not as the way Cardo intends.

Pair the edge to the 595 as a second phone, not as a GPS. I think that You need the voice going through the 595 - in effect, it needs to be seen as a phone by the headset.

You lose ability to control your phone with your headset. I don't want or use voice control for my phone. But the 595 takes over all of the telephone functions.

I think that the 595 will display messages etc. I can check that out if you wish, I still have a 595 , but Ive used an XT since then. Its easy to get confused

The 595 can handle the data feed and the phone input and the headset with its BT channels.

You sometimes have to go into the BT setting for the phone and switch on the various BT feeds it can handle - the little icons that it shows.
I have a pdf somewhere which describes this - I think for the 590, but there is little difference between that and the 595.

Found it ! Download the pdf. It uses a cheapo BT headset so the focus is on the connections at the Zumo end.

Thank you. Yes, I definately want the 595 to remain in control.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:49 pm The way that I set it up is the way Garmin intends, not as the way Cardo intends.

Your method is exactly the same as I used previously with my (dumb) BT headset to achieve this: Iphone <-> 595 <-> BT Headset which is what I want to do with the Edge.

Thanks
Scarecrow
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by Scarecrow »

This might help

at around 10:32 in
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Around the 11 minute mark he shows how to pair the GPS and how to pair the second phone.

If you want the Zumo to be at the centre of things, take notice of what he has done, but don't follow the instructions - becasue that puts the Edge at the centre of things. Instead, when pairing the GPS roll the wheel as if pairing a second phone.

Because the phone is paired to the Zumo, as far as the headset is concerned, the Zumo is acting like a phone - ie it is receiving and transmitting voice, answering and making calls, showing the message list, showing the contacts etc - so the Zumo is best set up as a second phone.

Your priorities may be different from mine - in which case put the Edge at the centre of things. I like the Zumo at the centre, and this works for me and for my pillion.

Setting up the Zumo as a second phone does not suggest that you want anything set up as the first phone. You don't - not in the setup I am describing the the Zumo at the centre. But this leaves the first phone channel open for when you want to do some setting up of the Edge using the Cardo Edge App on your phone. And that requires the Edge and the phone to be paired. So the first phone channel is free and you can safely connect the phone as a first phone, make the changes that you want and then break the phone connection to the edge without messing up your Zumo set-up or your Edge set- up.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:50 pm Around the 11 minute mark he shows how to pair the GPS and how to pair the second phone.

If you want the Zumo to be at the centre of things, take notice of what he has done, but don't follow the instructions - becasue that puts the Edge at the centre of things. Instead, when pairing the GPS roll the wheel as if pairing a second phone.

Because the phone is paired to the Zumo, as far as the headset is concerned, the Zumo is acting like a phone - ie it is receiving and transmitting voice, answering and making calls, showing the message list, showing the contacts etc - so the Zumo is best set up as a second phone.

Your priorities may be different from mine - in which case put the Edge at the centre of things. I like the Zumo at the centre, and this works for me and for my pillion.

Setting up the Zumo as a second phone does not suggest that you want anything set up as the first phone. You don't - not in the setup I am describing the the Zumo at the centre. But this leaves the first phone channel open for when you want to do some setting up of the Edge using the Cardo Edge App on your phone. And that requires the Edge and the phone to be paired. So the first phone channel is free and you can safely connect the phone as a first phone, make the changes that you want and then break the phone connection to the edge without messing up your Zumo set-up or your Edge set- up.

Thank you so much!

My, possible, solution to using a phone to tweek the Cardo settings was going to be to take a second phone that is only used for that purpose and not switched on when the Cardo, Zumo and phione with Garmin Smart Link are in use. Would that work?
Last edited by OldRS on Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.