My XT is freezing and acting up... Any clues?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
theswede
Has liked: 5 times
Sweden

My XT is freezing and acting up... Any clues?

Post by theswede »

Does anybody know why it freezes and reboots?
I have a brand new XT, and when i had all "layers" activated, topo, birdview and 3D and scrolled trough a mountainious area, it suddenly rebooted.
Is it possible to "overload" the processor this way? I I find the device "micro-laggy" compared with other XT:s in menues and scrolling.
And then it began to freeze up and reboot often, i tried to reset it many times but it is still the same.
It seems to have something to do with memory, when i try to download a satellite map, it always freezes about halfway.
Anyone have a clue what it can be?
KTM 1290 Super adventure
Yamaha X-Max 400
Zumo XT
Zumo 550
Had a tomtom rider for 14 hours....
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Re: My XT is freezing and acting up... Any clues?

Post by cr0100 »

I would contact Garmin support - you may perhaps have a bad unit!
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That's not right, and I cannot think of anything that would do that - except maybe a combination of mucky screen and low battery charge.

Talk to garmin. Make sure they know it is brand new, and that brand new replacement is in order. Ask if you need to take it back to the shop for that ? I've had a brand new boxed replacement for a device that they thought was faulty. I just had to return the unit, so I ended up with spare bike and car cradles - which I use for desk and video work.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
theswede
Sweden

Post by theswede »

Yes i think you are right, my unit is not healthy. I spoke to the warehouse where i bought it, and i can change it for a new one.
Lets hope that the new unit will be as it should.
KTM 1290 Super adventure
Yamaha X-Max 400
Zumo XT
Zumo 550
theswede
Sweden

Post by theswede »

So, now i got a new one, and quickly realized theat it seems like i am destined to use paper maps.
This one had a flat battery and will not even start up. I have tried to charge it with different high mA USB chargers for some days, but still wont get passed the loading screen before it turns off... Any ideas from the fellow XT owners?
KTM 1290 Super adventure
Yamaha X-Max 400
Zumo XT
Zumo 550
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes - they do not come fully charged. Plug it into a USB adapter = I always use a 2A one - most are less than that and don't seem to work effectively. A Wall socket with a 5v 2.1A will work just as well.

Make sure that it doesn't go into file transfer mode. The top right hand corner battery icon will have ayellow flash on it to indicate that it is charging.
Turn the screen off - short press the power button - the screen will say 'Charging the Battery, and then a few seconds later go blank.
Now leave it like that for 24 hours.

Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
theswede
Sweden

Post by theswede »

I even tried a 80w USB charger overnight. The only thing that happens is that it briefly lights up the garmin logo, and the makes it halfway trough the loading screen, and then it shuts off. If i try to start it unplugged, nothing happens at all.
KTM 1290 Super adventure
Yamaha X-Max 400
Zumo XT
Zumo 550
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Take it back. I guess they have given you one that someone else had returned previously ?

Zumo XT & BC Link

Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

For me it sounds like a dead (empty) battery - when you have access to a motorcycle or a car battery, i would test it with the original motorcycle-mount of the Zumo XT! Often this works!

If it boots up, go into settings/navigation and disable gps (this activates gps simulation and saves battery!) - leave it for half an hour on the spare bike/car battery and than try again with an adequate wall-charger! If it starts up now, disable again gps, than shortly(!) press the on/off button - the screen should go black and a 'loading' message should appear. Leave it for 12 to 24 hours at the charger

If you own one, make sure tu use an 'older' wall charger with at least 2 to 2,5 ampere - try to avoid one of the newer 'intelligent' wall chargers, as the Zumo XT not delivers the necessary signals to switch an intelligent, higher output mode!

Reading often of such problems - for me i think, the quality proof department of Garmin (or the guys who build the Zumo XT) just turn the Zumo XT on for checking the hardware, but didn't turn it off completely - and so the battery is flat after a while in the stores!

The Zumo XT has two 'off' states: a short press send it into standby mode, which already uses a small amount of power - to switch it really off, you've to press the off button, until a dialogue box appears on the screen, asking if you really want to turn the unit off.

Before you send it back, give it a try - i'm nearly sure, that this will work!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
theswede
Sweden

Post by theswede »

Well, an update.
I also tried to let it charge overnight in the mount with a constant power supply.
Stone dead. Now it doesnt even briefly light up the screen. This one is also going back to the big warehouse where i bought it.
What are the odds of two new zumos being defect? I think i will play the lottery this weekend...
KTM 1290 Super adventure
Yamaha X-Max 400
Zumo XT
Zumo 550