Where I've Been App

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
VFRcanada
Been liked: 5 times
Canada

Re: Where I've Been App

Post by VFRcanada »

I realize there's no Archive folder due to the reset. Same with the small current track log. I haven't used it much since the reset.
Travel history is ticked. As I said, all the tracks appear everywhere else. Just not in the Where I've Been app. I don't believe the tracks are the problem.
I usually back up the track logs every month or so. I have been doing that since I got the XT 4 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestions.
VFRcanada
Canada

Post by VFRcanada »

I contacted Garmin. Their response was "A box on the right-hand side of the screen breaks down the travel history by day. Tap it to expand it and scroll through the recorded days. Touch a specific date to view that day's travel history. If a day is grayed-out, then the device was not used that day or no travel history was recorded on that date. If the compatible device was used on a day that is grayed-out, the travel history can be viewed in BaseCamp™."
Looks like I can only view the tracks in Basecamp which sucks since I used to be able to view them on the XT.
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

OK I've just had another detailed look at mine.

Since the last reset, I am up to 31.gpx in the archive and Current Track Log.
I've looked at the dates available on the XT in two places
i) Tracks and the calculator style Tab on the right of the screen. This currently shows all of the tracks available under the heading 'Unsaved Tracks'.
ii)The Where I have been App, which shows a single date in a white box on the right of the screen superimposed on a map - showing the track. TApping this box adds another date and an up and down arrow. Dates with tracks are shown in dark black lettering. Days without tracks are in grey lettering.

Both of methods of access stop at 16 April 2024.

CurrentTrackLog has all of the tracks since 16 April 2024.

All of the rest are in the Archive folder, and none of those tracks appear on the XT screen.

From that, it looks like the apps show only the tracks that are recorded in CurrentTrackLog.gpx.

(But that doesn't match with your observations - you say that BC can see many more ?? My current track log which spans 16April to 28 April and has 25 tracks (it says) totalling 395 miles, is 2,648 Kb. Many of the tracks are very short eg 0.2 mi - resumably from turning it on and not traveling anywhere.

I know you didn't ask this, but I'm going to write it anyway, becasue I know some other people may be curious.

My total archive saved on my PC spans 31 files from 1.gpx to 31.gpx.
The Archive folded currently on the XT contains 23.gpx to 31.gpx - so only 9 files. 23.gpx was recorded on 1 November 2023 - and is just a dot located at my address. Today is the 1st May.

22.gpx is no longer on the XT - it has been removed. The contents of that file were part of a 200 mile circuit that I did on 17 Oct 2023. That file is 1280Kb long.

Previous Zumos kept 20 files in the archive, and deleted the oldest when it needed to archive CurrentTrackLog - form this observation it looks as though any files older than 6 months are deleted. Curiously part of my 200 mile trip is not present. I need to investigate that further.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
VFRcanada
Canada

Post by VFRcanada »

jfheath wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:26 pm OK I've just had another detailed look at mine.

Since the last reset, I am up to 31.gpx in the archive and Current Track Log. Since my reset I have a CurrentTrackLog, Current and temp files. The reset deleted the rest.
I've looked at the dates available on the XT in two places
i) Tracks and the calculator style Tab I always thought that was a calendar tab on the right of the screen. This currently shows all of the tracks available under the heading 'Unsaved Tracks'. All my tracks show here.
ii)The Where I have been App, which shows a single date in a white box on the right of the screen superimposed on a map - showing the track. TApping this box adds another date and an up and down arrow. Dates with tracks are shown in dark black lettering. Days without tracks are in grey lettering. This is how mine used to work but not lately.

Both of methods of access stop at 16 April 2024.

CurrentTrackLog has all of the tracks since 16 April 2024. My CurrentTrackLog has all my tracks. The Current file has no tracks. The Temp file has no tracks.

All of the rest are in the Archive folder, and none of those tracks appear on the XT screen. Since I just did a reset I have no Archive folder.

From that, it looks like the apps show only the tracks that are recorded in CurrentTrackLog.gpx.

(But that doesn't match with your observations - you say that BC can see many more ?? BC shows all my tracks in the CurrentTrackLog. My current track log which spans 16April to 28 April and has 25 tracks (it says) totalling 395 miles, is 2,648 Kb. Many of the tracks are very short eg 0.2 mi - resumably from turning it on and not traveling anywhere.

I know you didn't ask this, but I'm going to write it anyway, becasue I know some other people may be curious.

My total archive saved on my PC spans 31 files from 1.gpx to 31.gpx.
The Archive folded currently on the XT contains 23.gpx to 31.gpx - so only 9 files. 23.gpx was recorded on 1 November 2023 - and is just a dot located at my address. Today is the 1st May.

22.gpx is no longer on the XT - it has been removed. The contents of that file were part of a 200 mile circuit that I did on 17 Oct 2023. That file is 1280Kb long.

Previous Zumos kept 20 files in the archive, and deleted the oldest when it needed to archive CurrentTrackLog - form this observation it looks as though any files older than 6 months are deleted. I believe I read in the manual that files older than 6 months are deleted. Curiously part of my 200 mile trip is not present. I need to investigate that further.
jfheath
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 632 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

VFRcanada wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:35 pm
CurrentTrackLog has all of the tracks since 16 April 2024. My CurrentTrackLog has all my tracks. The Current file has no tracks. The Temp file has no tracks.
Yes, that is quite likely. Those two files are not used for the recorded tracks.

Temp.gpx contains all of the data that was last transferred from Basecamp. It is over-written the next time you connect a usb cable and transfer more data (drawn tracks, routes, waypoint).

Current.gpx contains all of the routes, tracks and waypoints that have been imported and which are available to the XT apps. (Tracks probably get removed)
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.