Garmin zumo XT is there a chance?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
RaduG
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Garmin zumo XT is there a chance?

Post by RaduG »

Hi all, hope all is well. I have a garmin zumo XT. I dropped some time ago, the screen cracked, but still working. Then we moved house and stored in the garage in the original box. However lately I have discovered the roof is leaking so the sat nav got wet . I plugged in and nothing not even turning on. Please tell me I just lost £350 down the drain. :shock: :cry:
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 628 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin zumo XT is there a chance?

Post by jfheath »

Hi @RaduG, and welcome.

I would contact Garmin. Tell them the issue. These things have a 2 year guarantee. Probably not covered, but they take them in and issue a refurbished unit. If its out of guarantee, you get to pay a fixed fee up front. It used to be £100 a long time ago. Don't know what it is now. Accidental damage is probably not covered, but you never know.

Talk to them, find out what the options are. It would cost about that much to have the screen fixed. Alternative is to claim on household insurance, but it would probably cost a similar amount in excess fees and hiked premiums subsequently.

Big bonus with doing this. They only want the unit. No fixtures and fittings, so you end up with a spare mount. You just need to fork out a few thousand quid for another bike to fit it on.

Garmin Uk 0808 238 0000
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Before calling Garmin , try charging with a power source of 2 amps for a couple of hours. It's somewhat unlikely that getting wet would kill it, but if by chance it was put away sleeping instead of fully powered off, or if it was low on battery when put away properly, it may just need a good charge.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I wonder if a couple of hours would be enough. I would leave it on the charger overnight
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
colirv
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

I think I'd open the XT's case first, and give it a couple of days to make sure the interior is completely dry.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Happened to me also. My screen was cracked because the XT fell. I had it returned to Garmin (Netherlands) asking if it could be repaired. After a few days they reported "beyond repair". But they offered a new one for a reduced price. 165 Euro!
Last edited by FrankB on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaduG
Great Britain

Post by RaduG »

Thanks guys, I have left it overnight in charge but no luck. I will get in touch with Garmin on Monday. Fingers crossed :roll:
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

An XT has to boot up/wake up before it will begin to charge. If you don't see any signs of life when a USB charger is connected, it will never charge.

The battery on my XT was totally dead when it arrived. I could never get it to start using my 2.1 amp USB chargers. It only started and began to charge after I put it in the bike mount, which was temporarily connected to a 12 VDC power supply.

Try putting your XT on the powered bike mount and see if you start can it up. Once it has enough charge to boot on it's own, you can move it to a USB charger to finish charging.

It is intended for use in wet conditions so I would expect it to survive, unless it was actually submerged in water for an extended period.
Last edited by lkraus on Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

lkraus wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:19 pm An XT has to boot up/wake up before it will begin to charge. It you don't see any signs of life when a USB charger is connected, it will never charge.
I saw reference to this in another discussion but it didn't register with me until just now that both times when my XT froze (wouldn't wake up from sleep), it woke up the next morning after an overnight on the charger. Neither time do I recall it waking up when it was plugged in like is normal. If it didn't charge then the problem wasn't due to a low power condition. I remain clueless as to the cause of the sleep freezes.

@RaduG, good luck with Garmin.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
RaduG
Great Britain

Post by RaduG »

Hey guys, yes it’s sorted, I will need to pay £112.50 to send me a refurbished one. So glad is done.