Zumo XT Route Organization Question...

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BradB.
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Zumo XT Route Organization Question...

Post by BradB. »

I noticed that when I import a Route/Track it organizes itself in a seemingly random pattern. I would like to have my latest route/track imported be at the "top" of the list. How can I change the filtering of the listed tracks?

I don't have any collections or anything. Just a straight list of routes I have created in Rever and imported through Garmin Drive.

Thanks for the help.
Somebody help me....I'm lost! :o
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT Route Organization Question...

Post by jfheath »

I think that they are organised in order of how close the start point is to your current position.

You can force the order by setting a date of departure for the start point.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

jfheath wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:09 pm I think that they are organised in order of how close the start point is to your current position.

You can force the order by setting a date of departure for the start point.
Yes, thats what it's doing now. And I hate it. Things re-organize themselves all the time. I don't understand the logic of doing this.

Anyway, If forcing a date of departure is one option, if I did that and had 10 tracks on the same day, how would it sub-list those under that date? By alpha, or something else?

And on that note, I"m not seeing how to set a date of departure. I am using tracks if that makes a difference.

Thanks jfheath
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 114 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Routes and tracks are two very different things.

You can set a departure date & time for a route, but not for a track, which is just a sequential list of coordinates, displayed as a line on a map.

I don't use tracks much, but I think Garmin assumed the nearest are going to be the ones of most interest.
BradB
United States of America

Post by BradB »

Yes, I understand they’re different and choose to use tracks for the places I ride.

Good to know I can’t set departure dates, I was going crazy looking for that option.

The trouble with Garmin ordering the tracks that way is if you happen to be halfway through a ride and for whatever reason, you close the XT then when you open it back up you have to sift through all your tracks looking to find the original track again. Just super inconvenient. And all the other tracks on the XT are jumbled also. It’s a mess.

I wish there was some easy organizational solution.
BMW R1250GS - Zumo XT / Cardo / iPhone.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 114 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

If the track is displayed when you shut it down or just goes to sleep, it will still be displayed on the map when you wake it up. If you haven't gone anywhere in the meantime, you just continue following the line from where you are. Or zoom out and find your own way back to the track.

Unless, maybe, if you are using Explore. Explore changes things in ways I gave up on years ago.
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ah yes, the date for the first point - only works with routes, not tracks.

Tracks do not contain any information other than a list of coordinates and a name, so the date sorting cannot be used with tracks. This wasn't an error on my part - in your first post you had said:
BradB. wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:56 pm I don't have any collections or anything. Just a straight list of routes I have created in Rever and imported through Garmin Drive.
So I was answering that particular comment - but I didn't make that clear. Sorry, I should have quoted your separate paragrahs.

I am not sure how you are navigating a track. Are you just showing it in the map, or loading it and selecting Go! ?

I need to look up what Rever creates. I am not familiar with it.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

As fas as I know:

Trips are ordered on the departure date/time that you can set in Basecamp.
Tracks are indeed ordered by closest distance to your current location. Another questionable decision made by Garmin is to show the distance to the track, and not the track length.

I have never managed to alter that, and thus I have no answer to your question.
The workaround I use is to only load the trips/tracks on the XT that I need that day. I like to keep my data in the cloud (Google Drive/OneDrive etc) and load the trip/tracks that I need with the Garmin Drive App. (You dont have to enable Garmin Explore to use Garmin Drive!) But you could also store your trips/tracks on the SD card and import from there, if Internet availability is a concern.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

This is a tough one. Some folks keep the number of routes stored on their device very lean while others don't. I do as @FrankB except I use the SD card instead of the cloud. I keep the number of routes stored on my XT very lean, clearing it before a trip and loading just the routes for the trip. Those routes contain departure date/time set in Basecamp so that they are listed chronologically. When I get home I clear it it again and add back my favorite local routes. OTOH, one of my riding buddies has a large number of routes on his Nav VI. It is comical to me to watch him scrolling to find one. Garmin fell short by not building in any organizational or sorting capabilities to accomodate the folks who prefer storing lots of routes on the device.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
BradB.
United States of America

Post by BradB. »

lkraus wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 am If the track is displayed when you shut it down or just goes to sleep, it will still be displayed on the map when you wake it up. If you haven't gone anywhere in the meantime, you just continue following the line from where you are. Or zoom out and find your own way back to the track.

Unless, maybe, if you are using Explore. Explore changes things in ways I gave up on years ago.
Yes, I noticed that the track is still visible next day if I leave it I gave up on the screen. It just happens that once in a while I jump out and look at something else on the XT or scroll through the next days track and then 'poof' the track disappears into the list somewhere. Just annoying.

And yes, I gave up on Explore as well.