Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Re: New firmware 6.60 for Zumo XT

Post by Peobody »

I have never motorcycle camped. I was a Boy Scout in a very outdoor-active troop so did lots of camping then. I also introduced my daughter to it when she was pre-teen which led to me being a Girl Scout leader and canoe instructor for a number of years, including a couple of canoe-camping trips each year (typically two female adult leaders, me, and 12 girls). There are some folks here who are familiar with the Yadkin River. That was our go-to river. Put-in was in Elkin, camp was approx 1.5 miles down river, take-out was at some farm about two more miles down. Obviously there was more skill development play going on than than there was paddling (eg: climbing into a floating canoe in deep water, re-floating a submerged canoe). The most fun was reminding the girls to not grab low branches as they floated under them. They has short memories. I don't think there was one trip were girls didn't swamp a canoe reacting to spiders that had been dislodged from branches. I'm grateful for never having to deal with a snake in a canoe. Man, those are some good memories. Now, what was I saying?... Oh yeah, I had my fill of camping in my teens through mid-forties. It is all hotels and B&Bs now.

Regarding Wi-Fi, I keep it off too, but a kick-in-the-pants behaviour that I just watched is that if you tap the Settings > Update button you will get a prompt to connect to wi-fi. If there is a remembered network within range it will automatically connect to it and will then leave the wi-fi setting enabled. You do not have an opportunity to choose not to connect nor do you have the opportunity to select the wi-fi network to connect to in the event there are multiple within range. This kind of programming annoys me. An errant click of the Update option while on the trip would have turned wi-fi on resulting in the update as soon as the XT connected to my home network.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

Since the 6.6 update, it seems that the unit is faster when importing routes and some other operations.

I don't have any evidence for this just a feeling. Anyone else notice this? Or just my imagination...
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Pour me another one @Scottnet . I clearly have some catching up to do !

No I hadn't noticed anything like that - but I'm currently working with my XT and 595 (sometimes 590) side by side. The XT always seems fast. Except when making the USB connection when the XT seems to go walkabout.

I might have a reason for that long delay, by the way. We discussed something ages back.. I'll try to find that thread.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 288 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:44 pm The XT always seems fast. Except when making the USB connection when the XT seems to go walkabout.

I might have a reason for that long delay, by the way. We discussed something ages back.. I'll try to find that thread.
It's not just you. Mine sometimes connects relatively quickly and other times seems to go out to the patio for a beer (or maybe a tea) before it decides to connect. I wish it would invite me along when it decides to do that.

@Scottnet, my last 6 trips imported quickly which I attributed to having done everything right in BaseCamp and to a less than normal number of via points. I'm bummed to think that it might not have been all me, that the 6.60 firmware might have had something to do with it. :)
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 83 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

My two cents on long connect is an outlier, but in case it helps...

I'm on a Mac, so have to use Android File Transfer app to connect at all and it takes its damn time, to say the least. I have not seen any difference since installing the new firmware.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:44 pm
... my last 6 trips imported quickly which I attributed to having done everything right in BaseCamp and to a less than normal number of via points. I'm bummed to think that it might not have been all me, that the 6.60 firmware might have had something to do with it. :)
Importing has rarely been an issue for me. It depends on how much processing the XT has to do.

eg the first part of the calculating... time is taken up with house-work tasks. eg checking location, finding name, repositioning.
Then it will, if necessary, calculate the route - if for example the route was created a while ago using an older map version - or the route hasn't used Garmin maps.

If it takes longer than a few seconds, it is probably calculating the route.

The time delay to which I was referring is the amount of time it takes a computer (PC) to recognise that the XT has been connected.

I haven't noticed a change in this behaviour with v6.60 of the software
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Scottnet
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Scottnet »

I don't have WiFi enabled. I notice now that the shutdown message does not say it's checking for updates.

Not sure it's significant except that it is something we told them about so that's a start
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Scottnet wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:53 pm I don't have WiFi enabled. I notice now that the shutdown message does not say it's checking for updates.
I did not yet update to 6.60. I can confirm that on 6.50 the unit searches for updates when power is lost, even when WIFI is disabled. But you probably knew that!
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 202 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

FrankB wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:30 pm I did not yet update to 6.60. I can confirm that on 6.50 the unit searches for updates when power is lost, even when WIFI is disabled. But you probably knew that!
My XT does not do this. Isn't there another setting for checking for updates upon shutdown or not, besides having the wifi off? I seem to remember this but can't put my finger on it.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 213 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

rbentnail wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:11 pm
FrankB wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:30 pm I did not yet update to 6.60. I can confirm that on 6.50 the unit searches for updates when power is lost, even when WIFI is disabled. But you probably knew that!
My XT does not do this. Isn't there another setting for checking for updates upon shutdown or not, besides having the wifi off? I seem to remember this but can't put my finger on it.
There is no setting to turn it off

I raised this with garmin ages ago! What's the point in checking for updates when the XT is on the bike and 95 percent of shutdowns there won't be Wi-Fi available!