Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 287 times
United States of America

My 1st time using Adventurous routing

Post by Peobody »

I have my XT in the car while driving to visit family 800 miles away from my home. I had intended to drive interstate highways the entire way but got tired of the slab so I entered my destination into the XT and chose the Adventurous routing option. I had never used it before. The slider was set 3/4 to the right which I assume sets the amount of "Adventure". I was pretty impressed with the result. Much of the route was along the same roads I used in a pre-planned motorcycle route last year. The only disappointment was that it routed me through a significant sized and congested town that could have been avoided by 20 miles on the highway. Perhaps a middle setting on the slider would have made a difference in that regard. Regardless, it's nice to be posting something positive for a change.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: My 1st time using Adventurous routing

Post by FrankB »

@Peobody
I used it a couple of times, when I just got the XT. It works, but I found one drawback then. In my region we have, what we call 'parallel roads'. These are meant for agricultural, bicycle, pedestrian etc. use. If you set the slider towards 'adventurous' it will favour these roads. But if you ride them, you will be a nuisance to others.

And now something I always wanted to know, but was afraid to ask. Suppose you're driving a route, and the XT has to (re)calculate it. Does the XT use the 'Adventurous' setting? Can you force the XT to use the it?
On the other hand, let's not make it any more difficult. It would only introduce more differences between BC and the XT.

Example of parallel roads:
parallel roads.jpg
parallel roads.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:46 am Suppose you're driving a route, and the XT has to (re)calculate it. Does the XT use the 'Adventurous' setting? Can you force the XT to use the it?
This is a good question. I hope someone knows the answer.

@jfheath, do I recall correctly that commented on a condition where the XT would navigate forward after missing a via? I ask because I think that happened during my 'adventurous' drive. The route contained an interim POI via that was slightly off the road. When I drove past it the XT continued navigating forward with no indication of missing that via.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 626 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

FrankB wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:46 am
Suppose you're driving a route, and the XT has to (re)calculate it. Does the XT use the 'Adventurous' setting? Can you force the XT to use the it?
My belief - that is that I suspect with good reason, but have never bothered to check this scenario - that there are two features that are stored withe every route.

1. The transportation mode.
2. The calculation mode.

These stay with the route until you change them. In fact, basecamp transfers them, and the Zumo will switch both from what they were when it loads a route. And it doesn't always out them back.

eg. With the 590, it recognised whether it was in the car cradle or the motorcycle cradle. It switched transportation mode according to which cradle it was using. If you loaded a motorcycle route while it was in the car cradle, it would switch the Zumo to use the motorcycle transportation mode. And it would leave it in that state. Then the next time you put the Zumo in the car cradle, it would switch the Zumo to be in motorcycle mode.

Each Via Point in the gpx file has an indication of the calculation mode for that next section. I dont think Garmin use the facility to have different modes for different sections of the route though.

When the route recalculates in the XT, it uses the Zumos settings for the selected vehicle. Initially that comes from the route, but if you change it the XT will prompt you to confirm. It doesn't change the route, it changes the routing preferences for the motorcycle which the route will use if it has to recalculate.

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/app.php/ZXT-P41

The above doesn't cover adventurous routing, but I suspect that if you change the Zumos prefernces to Adventurous routing when a route is loaded, that is what it will use when it recalculates.

I think !
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@jfheath

Hi John. As usual a good an detailed answer. And like, nearly, always I agree completely. Thanks!

But I dont understand your last remark. If I go to Settings/Navigation/Calculation mode, there is no setting 'Adventurous'. Only Faster Time, Straight Line and Shorter Distance.

But to be honoust, if it were there, I would probably use only to test how it works.

As far as I know Adventurous can only be chosen when selecting something from the Where To? Menu.
(With some exceptions like Home)
Also you can change the Route preferences of a saved/imported trip and set that to adventurous, but that doesn't have the slider to set how adventurous you want it

Edit: Just tried it, and now I noticed that once you select adventurous for a trip, the Orange button appears next to the Go button. Mystery solved!

But to me its not that important. I was just curious.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 626 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

FrankB wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:54 am But to me its not that important. I was just curious.
Thanks Frank

No me neither. I did once try to work out what the 4 points were on the slide bar.

But I fell asleep !

a bit like their definition of 'faster' and mine. Their rating of 'adventurous' and mine seem to be too far apart for me to find a use for it.

I've got another little problem that I may or may not solve. The 595. I gave my brother a 595 that I bought for myslef when my 590 died. Got it about one third of new price. Then discovered that I never used it, and he didn't have one.

Then discovered that I missed it, so I found another for about the same price. Almost new.

Something that he said to me yesetrday rang alarm bells. And there are a few other things that I noticed that did the same.

I'm wondering if the 595 is more like the XT than I had imagined. Previously I had been switching my 590 to 595 software and back again and made an assumption that most of its behaviour would be like the 590. And I checked it out, but never really tested it like I have done with the XT - as I though that I already new the answers. So I was looking for similarities between the 590 and 595 - and when it looked as though it behaved the same, I sort of assumed....

But

Route points have their names changed - just like the XT - unless they are first created as Waypoint.
When changing a via point to a shaping point, the 595 seems to rename it and change its position just like the XT.

And what my brother said that after deviating from a route it didn't take him to the next shaping point - it continued ahead and the earlier shaping point had gone. That is the behaviour of an un-nobbled imported route. I'm wondering if this RUT behaviour actually existed on the 595, and no one ever noticed.

I didn't notice because I preferred mine set to be a 590 - but only (at the time) because I like to name my route points on long trips according to the milage from the start. eg 06 123 Coffee Stop - the 06 referring tot he day, the 123 referring to the mileage. IT is really useful when in unknown territory, to know where you are in relation to your planned route. With 595 software insalled, I couldn't do this.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Thanks guys. I wish I had saved my adventurous route just to go back an look at its details. It would be fun to test with it but its hundreds of miles away from home. I rarely use the "Where to" feature so I not think I will use adventurous routing very often although I am going to try to remember to play with it once I get home. Maybe I will create some adventurous routes using selected waypoints from some of my pre-planned local routes just to see what happens.