Decreased Audio Volume (Zumo vs Cardo

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ZebcoKid
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Decreased Audio Volume (Zumo vs Cardo

Post by ZebcoKid »

Good morning.

I have a Zumo XT that I enjoy tremendously. I have a Cardo Freecom 4 mounted to my motorcycle helmet.

I wear earplugs when riding my motorcycle.

When I connect directly to the Cardo application on my phone, the volume capability is tremendous. I can raise the volume more than necessary.

When I connect to my audio sources on the phone via the Zumo XT, I cannot raise the volume enough to adequately enjoy the content. Music is tolerable, but any spoken word content is difficult to follow.

This post is not so much a complaint as a desire to understand what’s happening (or not as the case may be), and whether there’s anything I can do about increasing the Zumo XT volume capabilities?

This wouldn’t be a problem, accept that when I listen directly to my phone via the Cardo headset, I cannot hear the Zumo XT instructions. Perhaps there’s a way to have both…and the volumes are independently set?

Thank you for your thoughts.

David
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 294 times
United States of America

Re: Decreased Audio Volume (Zumo vs Cardo

Post by Peobody »

Three thoughts that come to mind.

First, check the Volume mixer settings in the XT (Volume button > Mixer).

Second, I have a Cardo Packtalk and an iPhone. I have found that the best connection configuration is for the XT to be the master, connected to the phone and to the Cardo. A simultaneous connection of the phone to the Cardo causes problems.

Third, the volume on my Cardo is device specific. Turning the volume up during intercom communication will not increase the volume of XT sounds and vice versa. IIRC, the FM radio built-in to the Cardo is independent as well. The volume for each source can only be adjusted during active communication from the source being adjusted.

All of that said, I were earplugs and struggle with volume issues. I think Cardo could have increased their max volume for us earplug users. All you can do is max out the volume mixer settings and turn the Cardo volume as high as you can.

Edit: I feel I should state the obvious, the earplugs themselves make a difference. I use two different types depending on which helmet and which bike. I prefer cheap foam ones but have found Alpine MotoSafe Race earplugs to be the best for reducing wind noise while letting more communication sound through. I use these when intercom communication is important. I rarely listen to music when I ride. For me, when I start feeling like I need music, it's time to take a break. Notable here is that I use 32db foam ones but I cut off 1/8". That little trim makes a big difference in hearing sirens and horns while still reducing wind noise more than the MotoSafe ones do in my loud helmet.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 649 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Pair the Xt to the cardo as an additional phone, not as a GPS.

Also check the XT volume settings - there are two - the mixer, and the master volume.

I was once under the impression that it made a difference if you set the volumes before connecting BT. But that may be complete rubbish.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
ZebcoKid
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by ZebcoKid »

Peabody & Jfheath,

Thank you! When I go home tonight, I'll explore your suggestions.

As far as earplugs go...it seems to be a perennial issue. Many years ago I had some amazing custom plugs in terms of blocking noise. They were molded by an audiologist. The only problem was the audio fidelity was lacking...as there wasn't sufficient base response.

I've been looking for decades. Nothing seems to block enough of the bad noise, while staying put, and letting in the good noise.

Kindly,

David