Kurviger - Can anyone help please ?

Got a question about any other routing software that you use for creating routes and transferring to your Zumo? Then post in here and we will try our best to help
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Kurviger - Can anyone help please ?

Post by jfheath »

Kurviger looks to be an interesting piece of web based route planning software.

For Zumo users, it easily creates routes with Via Points and Shaping Points and will quickly toggle between the two.

It also allows points to be set as Favourites - so presumably they are stored somewhere. Elsewhere when exporting, it talks about waypoints.

I cannot test this out as being suitable for the XT and the 590/595 without paying the subscription fee - so I wonder if someone who has a subscription would be kind enough to send me a couple of GPX files please ?

The export screen shot is shown below.
Kurviger.jpg
Kurviger.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
I would like a route with a few shaping points and a couple of Via Points - in addition to the start and the finish.
Waypoints, Routes, Tracks ticked and extra Waypoints set to 0.
The options that it will not let me select are Export Waypoint Names and Export Shaping Points - and these are the ones that I want to check out.

There are a couple of route file formats that might be suitable for the Zumos - "GPX" and "Garmin Shaping Point GPX".
So the same route exported in both of these formats would be brilliant please.

What I am hoping to find out.
Does Kurviger include the calculated route points (the route point extensions or ghost points)
Does Kurviger include the Favourite definitions so that Zumo picks them up and stores them in its Favourites.
Does the route include all of the shaping points and all of the via points.
Does the Zumo alter the names of the route points.
Is the route treated as an imported route or as a saved route when loaded into the Trip Planner App

So far the only software that I ahve come acroos that comes anything like close to what the Zumos need is MyRouteApp. I bought a lifetime licence. I use it occasionally, but its not quite what I hoped it would be. Kurviger seems to be better in some respects as far as I can tell - but much depends on how the routes are treated by the Zumo - and I cannot test that without buying it - and I am not going to buy it if it doesn't do the jobe that I want it to do.

Many thanks if you are able to help me with this little exercise.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 114 times
United States of America

Re: Kurviger - Can anyone help please ?

Post by lkraus »

I do see "Try for Free" buttons: https://kurviger.de/premium/en.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to set up an account and see what the trial limitations might be.
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks @lkraus - Yes have the free version - which doesn't have the functions that I want to test. I don't fancy giving my credit card details for the free trial of the tourer edition just to try this out. In theory they do not charge for the first few days, but I don't know who they are...

If anyone already has an account and are willing to send a gpx, it will save me that hassle.

John

Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Hi John,
I don't have a subscription, but played a few times with Kurviger. In general I like it better then MRA. In my experience the Via/Shaping points are often on a junction/roundabout. Dont know why, never investigated.

2 of your questions I can answer with a high probability.
jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:57 pm Does the Zumo alter the names of the route points.
No it will not. The route points will ONLY get renamed if they have a 'calculated subclass' (not 0x000ffff) The only software that can do that is Mapsource/Basecamp. Other software just doesn't have the internals.
jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:57 pm Is the route treated as an imported route or as a saved route when loaded into the Trip Planner App
I will be Imported.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 114 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Maybe you could join the Kurviger forum and ask someone there to provide a sample file, or answer questions?

https://forum.kurviger.de/
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

I have a subscription. I’m on vacation now but i’ll try today or tomorrow do what you need.
Zumek
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 16 times
Poland

Post by Zumek »

jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:57 pm There are a couple of route file formats that might be suitable for the Zumos - "GPX" and "Garmin Shaping Point GPX".
So the same route exported in both of these formats would be brilliant please.
Check PM, samples below.

Attachments
West Yorkshire - Inverness.gpx
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
West Yorkshire - Inverness - Garmin ShapingPoint.gpx
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Brilliant. Thankyou. Pm reply sent too.

Zumo XT & BC Link

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:57 pm

What I am hoping to find out.
1.Does Kurviger include the calculated route points (the route point extensions or ghost points)
2. Does Kurviger include the Favourite definitions so that Zumo picks them up and stores them in its Favourites.
3. Does the route include all of the shaping points and all of the via points.
4. Does the Zumo alter the names of the route points.
5. Is the route treated as an imported route or as a saved route when loaded into the Trip Planner App

Answers

1. No it only shows the route points - the route has to be calculated by the Zumo
2. Yes the waypoints are declared at the head of the gpx file, as well as being shown in the route. They do appear in favourites.
3. All shaping and all vias are properly declared One route had all Via Points. Other route had 3 Shaping points.
4. Both routes kept the names that were given in the gpx file.
5. Both routes were treated as Imported in the XT.

Additionally - all route points were declared as Waypoints in the file - and therefore appeared in Favourites.
Both routes were calculated by the XT on import.

The track data is correctly formatted and appears without the need to import in the tracks app.

Many thanks to @Zumek for supplying the files. Now we know. I'll fill in the missing results once i have loaded them in.

Zumo XT & BC Link

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Results updated having checked it all out on the Zumo XT.

@Zumek - Was it the intention to create all points as favourites/waypoints or is that just what the Kurviger app does ?

Zumo XT & BC Link