Transferring Routes from Base Camp to XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: Transferring Routes from Base Camp to XT

Post by FrankB »

sussamb wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:17 am JaVaWa's Device Manager program allows you to change map names so they match the name in BaseCamp.
Javawa has great programs, that I like a lot. But for the Xt Devicemanager does not work. Because of the MTP transfermode that the XT uses.

Edit: You could try to copy the .img files to your hard-drive. (Located in .System\Map on the XT) and use Javawa IMGName: https://www.javawa.nl/imgname_en.html

Please backup the original file(s) before you save!
sussamb
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 358 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Ah good point!
GRC
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by GRC »

First of all, thanks to all of you that replied. Some of the suggestions were way above my paygrade. Let me quickly explain just to be clear....

I set up Routes on a turn by turn basis to try to take advantage of tertiary roads that Garmin may not put me on as I lead a group. Once I set up the route in Base Camp, I name them and save them to a folder (in Base Camp) for future use. I have probably 40 routes saved as I have been doing this for a couple of years. The night before the trip, I download the selected route into my XT for use the next day. This has been working fine for a couple of years now.

Suddenly they wouldn't transfer saying the map they were planned in didn't exist on my XT and it rerouted them in the transfer and screwed up the entire route. I made sure both Base Camp and XT were using the same map but I think what may have happened is I let the system "update maps" and it had a different name or number at the end of the name. I noticed if I set up a new route, it transferred fine. I played around with it and I discovered in the route info box there is a button that says "recalculate". I pulled up the route and clicked that button and Vwala, it recalculated and let me transfer my old routes un changed with no error message. One of you (JFheath) mentioned it in his email but I had missed it until just before I wrote this reply. All is working fine now and I am able to recalculate all of my old routes in the file with success.

Sorry for this long reply but I wanted to let you know exactly my situation and the process I went through to remedy the problem in case anyone else has a similar frustration. I find Base Camp to be a very complicated software and not very intuitive. Most of what I learn comes from hours of trial and error and of course it helped my find this on line forum which I will be using in the future.

Thanks again for all the time you took to help me. Appreciate you, Greg.
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

GRC wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:35 pm First of all, thanks to all of you that replied. Some of the suggestions were way above my paygrade. Let me quickly explain just to be clear....

I set up Routes on a turn by turn basis to try to take advantage of tertiary roads that Garmin may not put me on as I lead a group. Once I set up the route in Base Camp, I name them and save them to a folder (in Base Camp) for future use. I have probably 40 routes saved as I have been doing this for a couple of years. The night before the trip, I download the selected route into my XT for use the next day. This has been working fine for a couple of years now.

Suddenly they wouldn't transfer saying the map they were planned in didn't exist on my XT and it rerouted them in the transfer and screwed up the entire route. I made sure both Base Camp and XT were using the same map but I think what may have happened is I let the system "update maps" and it had a different name or number at the end of the name. I noticed if I set up a new route, it transferred fine. I played around with it and I discovered in the route info box there is a button that says "recalculate". I pulled up the route and clicked that button and Vwala, it recalculated and let me transfer my old routes un changed with no error message. One of you (JFheath) mentioned it in his email but I had missed it until just before I wrote this reply. All is working fine now and I am able to recalculate all of my old routes in the file with success.

Sorry for this long reply but I wanted to let you know exactly my situation and the process I went through to remedy the problem in case anyone else has a similar frustration. I find Base Camp to be a very complicated software and not very intuitive. Most of what I learn comes from hours of trial and error and of course it helped my find this on line forum which I will be using in the future.

Thanks again for all the time you took to help me. Appreciate you, Greg.
Yep, I think you're on to something. This is why I loathe updating maps. I have at least 40 routes I use on a rotating basis and recalculating with every map update is a real PITA. I'd rather deal with slightly older maps than recalculate everything I have. As you say, luckily the routes are not changed much, if at all.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

A good habit to get into is to recalculate any routes before sending them to the XT.

A quick (ish) way if recalculating all of your Basecamp Routes is to make an edit to the (motorcycling) profile. It recalculates every route in BC that uses that profile. Then you have to change it back again to what it was. But at least, you don't have to do each one individually.

I never have many routes on my satnavs. I regularly clear everything and transfer just the data that I want for a particular trip. One reason for doing this is that when you send more routes from Basecamp to the XT, it overwrites the temp.gpx file which contains the previously transferred routes. Those original routes are therefore no longer available to import again. Since editing an active route makes changes to the saved version, you cannot recover from accidental modifications if you are unable to re-import the route from temp.gpx.
GRC wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:35 pmSuddenly they wouldn't transfer saying the map they were planned in didn't exist on my XT and it rerouted them in the transfer and screwed up the entire route.
I dont think that this has anything to do with the map update. Basecamp, and some other mapping programs (eg MyRouteApp when exporting with Gpx v 1.2) will remember exactly which roads you planned to ride. They do this by plotting hundreds of invisible route points between the shaping and via points to endure that the route the XT receives is identical to the route that was planned. Normally, if your maps are the same, the Zumo has no need to calculate the route. It has everything that it needs.

This has been the case with Zumos ever since I started using them with my 550.

This is fine until the Zumo needs to recalculate all or part of the route. Foe example, if you deviate from the plotted route; if you press skip; if you change routing preferences; if you allow traffic to affect your route;....

In these cases, the Zumo discards the current section of the plotted route and calculates a brand new one - with a new set if invisible 'ghost' points. This is exactly what you want - a new route to get to your next shaping or via point.

Unfortunately, while the above is true for the earlier Zumos - up to the 590/595 - the XT does things slightly differently.
It will often recalculate the entire route, not just the current section
The XT has a different way of calculating routes from the way that is used in Basecamp and on previous Zumo models.

The XT prefers to plot routes using 'faster' roads. What it means by this, I am not entirely sure - but if there is a major road nearby that can be used to take you to the next route point, it will use it. Even if this results in a longer trip that takes more time.

Think of it this way. Your Xt is set in landscape mode. You want to get from the bottom left corner to the bottom right corner. Across the top of the screen is a major road. The obvious way is to take a road aling the bottom if the screen. The XT will see that the major road across the top if the screen is closer than the bottom right corner, so it heads up the left of the screen, takes the major road across the top, and then goes down the right of the screen.

I dont know if this is what it actually does, but I have seen it prefer to go round three sides of a rectangle, just to use a major road.

I have challenged this behaviour, and apparently the routing behaviour is as Garmin intended.

So, what can you do about this.

Keep maps in synch. Bc and Zumo

Turn off auto recalc - but that doesn't help if the Zumo has to recalculate the route because maps are different.

Be aware of the issue when creating routes and use shaping points to make sure that the next shaping point is nearer than the closest major road. You don't have to fill your route with shaping points. Often 2 points along a particular route - spaced roughly evenly - will prevent the XT from visiting a point and then going back to the main road.

Place your points on the road to travel, not near a junction.

Use SP rather than VP - keep Via Points for key places - eg setting off after coffee stops.

Make a track of your route and transfer that to display on the XT screen. You will see the original track if the route is recalculated and you can follow that.

Practice uploading routes/tracks to the Zumo. Force the Zumo to recalculate the route - eg change it to a straight line route, then back to motorcycle. See what the Xt has done to it by comparing it with the track.

Doing this, you will get better at planning routes using any mapping software, to ensure the Zumo XT will take you where you want to go.

Or if you cant be bothered with all if that. Load the track and use that, or convert it to a trip.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
GRC
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by GRC »

Thanks JF and Russ.