ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
FrankB
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 125 times
Netherlands

Re: ZUMO XT2 CONCLUSIONS

Post by FrankB »

lkraus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 pm I wonder if this little trick would also keep via points from being moved when converted to shaping points on the XT?
That's a good question. But I have little hope. Here's why:

- The trick to not have the route points is performed in Basecamp.
- Via points that are moved after being converted to Shaping, is something that is done by/on the XT.

But you never know until you test it.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

lkraus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:25 pm
jfheath wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:48 pm If you set your maps in Basecamp to an older verison and recalculate your route.
Then you set them back to the maps that you intend to use, and recalculate the route.

Then send your route the the 590, 595 or XT - the route point names do not get altered by the Zumo.

It would be extremely useful to know whether or not that same trick works with the XT2.
I wonder if this little trick would also keep via points from being moved when converted to shaping points on the XT?
Odd you should say that Larry - I was wondering the same thing - so I tested it earlier today. Unfortunately not.
Yesterday, I also tested whether it was another way to avoid RUT behaviour. No that didn't work either.

But having a workable fix for RUT behaviour and for the renamed route points - the XT is beginning to look reliable !!
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
lkraus
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

jfheath wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:32 pm But having a workable fix for RUT behaviour and for the renamed route points - the XT is beginning to look reliable !!
After only four years and countless volunteer hours of experimentation...

Thanks, Garmin!
Been liked: 1 time
Poland

Post by maciekptk »

Hi guys, newbie from Poland here!

I also did some tests and found out that when creating a route in Tread (or XT2) we can use predefined calculation modes between via/shaping points: Faster time, Straight line, Shortest distance, Adventurous level 1-4 (names might be a bit different - I'm using Polish UI).
And I suspect that sync between Tread and XT2 is using simple GPX file with just via/shaping points and chosen calculation modes but the problem is that there is no distinction between Adventurous levels in that GPX file so XT2 doesn't know about different levels between the points. And it recalculates the route using some defaults (from my observation it looks that 'Adventurous' is treated by the device similarly to 'Shortest distance').

Route created in Tread:
route_tread.png
route_tread.png (541.73 KiB) Viewed 68 times
Same route in XT2 (synced with Tread):
route_xt2.png
route_xt2.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 68 times
GPX exported from Tread:
gpx_tread.png
gpx_tread.png (386.77 KiB) Viewed 68 times
GPX for the same route exported/shared from XT2 (but already modified in the device) - it's huge, contains thousands of points, rather like a track, not a route:
gpx_xt2.png
gpx_xt2.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 68 times
It seems that Garmin needs to define another way of syncing between Tread and XT2 to get similar results in both.
jfheath
Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 630 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

First of all - I know nothing about Tread or the XT2.

But I do know a bit about the transfer of routes to a Garmin Device.

It looks like the route from Tread exports juts the Via points, and an indication of the type of routing to be used. On the XT if you were to send it Adventurous - it would use its default setting of Faster Time. I guess that Tread is used by many different devices - just as Basecamp is. Some devices know about certain types of routing some do not.

The only way of finding out is to find a location on the map where you can distinguish between Faster, Shorter, Adventurous levels. That way when you send a route to the XT2, you know which method it has used to calculate the route. Thats what I had to do to establish that the XT defaults to using Motorcycle and Faster time if you send it anything other than what it knows. It only understands Car, Motorcycle, Direct. It only understands Faster, Shorter. Anything else it uses its default.

Perhaps you can set Adventurous on Tread, but the XT2 doesn't recognise it so it uses a default.

The thousands of points. Those are the gpxx route point extensions. They are thousands of individual route points that the Zumo joins up with very short straight lines in order to plot the magenta line accurately. There are two ways of preparing a route. One is to give it the start, end, and any via or shaping points. Let the Zumo decide how it is going to travel from one point to the next. The other is for the program itslef to claculate the route . In order to fix it in place, it has to send thousands of coordinates so that the Zumo can join up the dots with short straight lines. You cant see these points, but they exist. I call them 'Ghost Points'. BAsecamp uses these and whatever you send from BAsecamp - that is the route that the Zumo plots. Precisely. UNLESS - the Zumo decides it has to recalculate the route. In which case it discards them and calcualtes a new route wit new ghost points.

From Basecamp, if you send a route and you want the Zumo to stick to it, you must trun off automatic recalculation - because the XT will find many different excuses to recalculate the route. Maps differ, straying off route, Road closures are a good one - you can't stop those, short of turning your phone off.

MyRouteApp and Basecamp can produce both types of route. For Basecamp, the one without Ghost Points is called a Direct Route - you use the Direct BC profile to create it. Te default is to plot a route with the ghost points.

For MyRouteApp - it can do both as well. gpx v1.1 exports the start, the end, the vias and the shaping points. It does not send any ghost points. The Zumo has to calculate the route.
gpx v1.2 exports the ghost points - it also send the Via Points (hands), but if you have used any shaping points, it does not send those.
For v1.2 in a Zumo, Recalc must be turned off if you have used any shaping points, because when it recalculates, it only has the Via Points to work with.

I didn't know that Tread allowed Point to point routes to be created. I can see you have used Via Points. Does Tread allow the use of Shaping Points?

Nb In Basecamp, you can turn a route into a track. Each ghost point is simply converted to a track point. But in BAsecamp you can see where all of those thousands of track points are, and you can use the track properties to see how far apart they are and select a whole section.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.