Trying to understand XT setup.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
colirv
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
Great Britain

Re: Trying to understand XT setup.

Post by colirv »

Yes, there is a good reason! Once you learn how to do it, it is MUCH easier to plan a route in Basecamp than on the XT, and virtually faffless to transfer it to the Zumo. Plus Basecamp will have all your data saved for the next time.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
jfheath
Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 625 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Big fingers.
Shaping points difficult to place precisely.

Lots of scrolling around the little screen.

I'm on holiday. I like to have it all done and dusted at home.

But yes, if it is necessary, then it is possible.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Zumo 590, 595 & Basecamp pdf link
Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
KingRat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

colirv wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:15 pm Yes, there is a good reason! Once you learn how to do it, it is MUCH easier to plan a route in Basecamp than on the XT, and virtually faffless to transfer it to the Zumo. Plus Basecamp will have all your data saved for the next time.
I haven't seen this 'basecamp' yet. I have to read up about it, but I have seen it mentioned and plenty of people very much more advanced on a confuser than me say they struggle with it.
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:18 pm Big fingers.
Shaping points difficult to place precisely.

Lots of scrolling around the little screen.

I'm on holiday. I like to have it all done and dusted at home.

But yes, if it is necessary, then it is possible.
What do you mean by 'shaping points? Surely if you are going to some specific spot there are signposts when you get near.... King Arthur's Castle, perhaps, there will be tourist signs within a mile of the place... so you only have to get in the general area and that will get you there. Or am I missing something through not knowing what these things will do?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The first couple of chapters of "Everything you need to know" will help you, but in particular, this page answers your question.

app.php/ZXT-P04

Of course there is nothing wrong with letting the Zumo get you to a particular place, but many of us like to choose the roads to ride.

Zumo XT & BC Link

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thanks JF - I have always been quite 'fluid' in how I get somewhere, I never really follow a designated route, just as long as I am going in the general direction I am happy. I can always take the road required when closer.... maybe I am coming at this from the wrong angle? Precision isn't always needed to get you where you need to end up... following a prescribed route takes the fun and spontaneity out of things! If you turn off the A58 onto he B9876, provided you are still going north and east, you can't be far off, kind of philosophy... and who knows, I might discover something along the way I would have missed if I had taken the main road! The back roads have fewer numpties on them too, because they want to be Riding Gods with kneee down cornering and all that guff.... difficult when there is grass growing up the middle of the lane and no room for a car and bike!
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Different people work with the gps different ways. I don't ponder on what others do or don't do. I read their posts and most often move on with no action whatever simply b/c what many people here on this forum are doing (or attempting to do) is way beyond my need and understanding. I can't follow their posts. And I have no need for what they are doing.

I am one of those folks like you. I roam a lot. Out on the road somewhere I think "hmmmm, that looks interesting" and I use my gps to get me there. No computer, no Base Camp, just me and my gps. I find it straightforward to do.

For planning longer specific trips I use Base Camp to specify to the gps which roads to ride.
Last edited by jfheath on Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic gripe about other posts
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thanks Bendy Nail.... how do you find the places on the XT please? Can you zoom in and move about like on Giggle earth? I do use that sometimes for pouring over a place to get some local detail. It is quite good for finding fishing spots!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Tap the map. The map changes and loses the navigation screen. You can tap the arrow to cycle the display to 'north up' 'direction up' or 3d.

You can shrink the map-pinch gestures the '-' button and zoom in, and You can drag the map.

I tend to zoom right out, put where I want in the centre and then zoom in to get the detail. It is still only a road map though unless you get 3rd party maps eg OSM - Open Street Maps.

Of course you can always use the search facility to get you somewhere close.

Zumo XT & BC Link

rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

KingRat wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 am Thanks Bendy Nail.... how do you find the places on the XT please? Can you zoom in and move about like on Giggle earth? I do use that sometimes for pouring over a place to get some local detail. It is quite good for finding fishing spots!
Yes, as Mr. Heath describes, touch the map. Then touch the arrow. Then zoom in to pick a spot to route to.

But for me this is actually the second set of steps. IMHO Garmin is good for getting somewhere but sux for finding the actual address to go to. I use Google and internet on my phone to search for the location. Then compare Google maps and Garmin maps to accurately find the place to go. Using the search on the XT can be tricky and sometimes completely useless. I'm getting better at it but it can be annoying.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A