Max number of saved routes or trips

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
wingrider.steve
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Max number of saved routes or trips

Post by wingrider.steve »

Is there a limit on the number of routes or trips you can have saved in the trip planner on the XT?
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Max number of saved routes or trips

Post by rbentnail »

Using the SD card as route storage to import as needed and then delete, I currently have 131 routes in my XT.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Your XT can have up to 100 routes in the Trip Planner app
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

I have a couple of question for those that have many routes stored on their devices. Why do you store all your routes on your device? Do you have them backed up on your computer? What if something happens to your Garmin, like it gets stolen or falls off your bike, god forbid? Do you loose all your routes? I load mine on the garmin the night before a ride, then delete them when I remember. I try not to ride the same route twice in the same year but if I find a good ride while out solo, I will take my riding buddy out there the next time we ride together. No need to keep them on the device.
Rofor
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 56 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

Beneath the routes in my home country we where every year since 2001 for a motorcycle-holiday in Southern Tyrol or in Sardegna - everytime with pre-planned routes...

All this pre-planned routes are saved in Basecamp - so i can use them later (i have some 'standard' routes, in which i only change the direction from year to year) if i will or i can compare a new planned route with an older one to avoid driving the whole route twice. On most routes i try to differ them a bit...

My 'plan' for more-than-one-day trips is to copy each route to the sdcard in my Zumo XT and import each route as needed from there to the trip planner.
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

rufasim wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:12 pm I have a couple of question for those that have many routes stored on their devices. Why do you store all your routes on your device? Do you have them backed up on your computer? What if something happens to your Garmin, like it gets stolen or falls off your bike, god forbid? Do you loose all your routes? I load mine on the garmin the night before a ride, then delete them when I remember. I try not to ride the same route twice in the same year but if I find a good ride while out solo, I will take my riding buddy out there the next time we ride together. No need to keep them on the device.
To each his own, different strokes for different folks, etc. Mostly b/c one never knows where one is going to go on any given day or with whom. So I keep numerous routes from Philadelphia to Columbus, OH to Tellico Plains, TN to Savannah, GA. It's nothing to hop on my bike, ride 280 miles for lunch and ride back. Or to ride 400-500 miles, overnight, and ride back the next day. And trust me, these are not "all my routes". These are just the ones I'm likely to ride on a whim, every other weekend for me is a 3-day mini holiday. And this is also where the "YMMV" kicks in. See, I'm not necessarily a rider just to ride a loop and come home. I'm more of a rider to go and see or do or eat. After living in the same area for 40+ yrs and riding bikes here for 25+ yrs, there's only so many roads. If I just continued to ride in circles I'd be riding the same roads over and over and over. So I plan for out of the way sights and places. I'll ride the same route for 5 hrs several different times per yr just to try a different restaurant at the end with a buddy, then ride home. Here's some just in my home state. Each star represents a place visited or a sight seen on my bikes. My '07 FJR is getting a little tired at 139,xxx miles, I bought a '13 last yr ;) . Most of these starred places are at the end of roads so riding if continuous loops I would have missed at least 80% of them along the way.
A State Park.jpg
A State Park.jpg (286.87 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Yes, of course these routes are stored elsewhere. I have them all in Base Camp as well as exported to a Documents folder for backup on external media.

ETA- 131 Routes
131 Routes.JPG
131 Routes.JPG (150.71 KiB) Viewed 1054 times
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
rufasim
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by rufasim »

Lets face it rbentnail, you live in the best state for motorcycling. You have some of the best riding in the country. If you get bored with the great roads of North Carolina, head in any direction, except east of course, and you get to another state with more great roads. West Virginia. Georgia. Tennessee. If you played your cards right you could go years with out riding the same route twice. I plan on retiring in the next 8 years and moving down there to enjoy all those great roads. I know most of the famous ones like BRP, tail of the dragon, Cheraholla skyway, foot hills. waylah rd. The rattler. Care to share any of your rides that are out of the way that I may enjoy? I will probably go down with the bike at least 1 or 2 more times before moving there.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Actually, some of my favorite rides and still my fave places to visit have zero to do with any of the roads you mention. I like the history and vastness of touring on the coast. Made a Delmarva run in 2018, the sights and the history of one of the 3 key birthplaces of our country are truly spectacular. And the seafood!

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/mid-o ... ng.144115/

Many of my trips involved the state parks and lighthouses just in my state.

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/our-a ... ost-915873

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/easte ... st-1085130

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/rte-o ... ost-710265

For me, riding in the mtns is a crapshoot. I open Base Camp and pick roads at random to make a route. I'll double check for pavement with Google maps and that's it. I've found that the touristy listed roads are over hyped and over crowded and tend to avoid them. I've done them all, nothing special with yet another curvy road. Some of my fave riding out that way is to go deep into a national forest on dirt roads are wander around for a while. Check out http://www.cofsta.com/. And https://www.hdcarolina.com/.

You are of course welcome to any of the routes I have.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 276 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:43 pm Made a Delmarva run in 2018
The "Delmarva" is a timely one. I am heading there with my wife next week from Charlotte, NC. We'll be going onto the peninsula at Virginia Beach then off the peninsula at Annapolis heading home. Sorry for the off-topic comment but I am really looking forward to this trip.

As for my comments related to this discussion. Routes that I will use repeatedly or plan to ride "some day" stay on the XT, one time trips don't. Stored on my XT are a number of local rides that I choose from for an afternoon ride. They vary in length from 1.5 to 3 hours. Also on the XT is an off-interstate route to Connecticut that I rode last year on my annual family visit that I really enjoyed so plan to use again. That one is on the SD card so I can import it when I need it. One time trips like the one planned to the Delmarva peninsula will be removed once the trip is done. The SD card provides enough space to store many routes but I prefer to keep the list of routes on the XT small to minimize the effort required to locate a route.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
wingrider.steve
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by wingrider.steve »

Is there a limit on the number of saved waypoints in the XT?