Two maps in the Zumo XT? And other problems incomprehensible for me

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Raf
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Italy

Two maps in the Zumo XT? And other problems incomprehensible for me

Post by Raf »

Sorry for my english language, i use google translate.
1) I have installed City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.2 maps on my Win 10 PC. For this I used my BMW Nav. 6. On the Zumo XT I used the installation with wifi. When I connect the Zumo to the PC and open Basecamp there are 3 maps, one is that installed on the PC and 2 are installed on the Zumo. Why? In the photos you can see this.
2) When I create a route with Basecamp and transfer it to the Zumo, I have 2 identical routes on the XT. Example: Route A on Basecamp, I transfer it to the zumo. On the XT I have 2 identical routes: Route A and Route A1.Why?
3) I also have MapSource. I can't send routes on the XT, Because Mapsource can't find the Zumo. But I can create a route with MS, I save it on the PC and transfer with copy and paste.
Thank

Last edited by Raf on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Has liked: 267 times
Been liked: 587 times
Great Britain

Re: Two maps in the Zumo XT? And other problems incomprehensible to me

Post by jfheath »

Welcome @Raf
We cannot see the pictures that you have uploaded. It maybe the permissions on google drive don't allow it.

The chances are that you have imported the same route twice. That normally gives the same name and adds a number.

You cannot transfer from Mapsource because Mapsource required Mass Storage Protocol (drive letters for internal storage and for SD card. The XT doesn't support that. It uses Media Transfer Protocol - so it behaves more like a media player device

Yes you can copy GPX files intot he GPX folder manually. If you do that with mapsource files, they may work, or they may not. BAsecamp uses Via Points and Shaping Points in order to plan and create a route. Mapsource doesn't make the same distinctions. You may run into problems using mapsource routes. (Or not) You certainly will not get the best from the Zumo by using Mapsource.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Raf
Italy

Re: Two maps in the Zumo XT? And other problems incomprehensible for me

Post by Raf »

I changed the permissions in google drive, is everything ok now?
I import only once. I often work this way :
I create a route with MapSource and then transfer it to Basecamp and recalculate it.
I work it this way because I can have a single .gpx file.
How do I work with Basecamp? :
Click on route A. Right click - Send to Zumo XT or "Device - Send to device"
In this way I believe it is not possible imported the same route twice.
If you see the images now, is it normal to have two City Navigator Europe NTU 2022.2 maps on my XT?
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes I can see the pictures now, thank you.

Same map listed twice in Bascamp ?

One will be the one on the computer.
The other is probably the same map in the Zumo.

Also, the NTU Europe maps appear twice in the Zumo - "CN Europe NTU 2022.20 All North" and "CN Europe NTU 2022.20 All South".

In Basecamp in the left hand window, if you click on the map in Internal Storage, the name of the file and where it has been saved is shown in the bottom window.

Zumo Map on BC.jpg
Zumo Map on BC.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

In Basecamp you can select many items at the same time and send them to the Zumo.
Or you can send the contents of a list, or the contents of a folder, or send everything in the database.

When the data is sent it is usually sent as one gpx file. It may use two files if you send to the SD card - one for routes and tracks, one for Waypoints .

BC Select.jpg
BC Select.jpg (82.77 KiB) Viewed 1075 times

If I choose "Send 2021 to Device" in the menu, the entire contents of my 2021 database gets sent to the XT
If I choose "Send Selection to Device", only the highlighted items (marked with a red circle) are sent.

Today, I discovered something really important. I found another way that doesn't work.
Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

jfheath wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:19 pm Same map listed twice ?
One will be the one on the computer.
The other is probably the same map in the Zumo, because the Zumo is connected.
Thank !!!
Is this normal? I delete the second route on the zoom every time?
:roll: :?:
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Yes it is normal. (I've just altered my previous reply to include more detail).

No - do not delete them.

If you use Basecamp, use the maps on the computer - it is faster ! Basecamp will tell you if you have chosen the map on the Zumo XT.

Raf
Italy

Post by Raf »

Ok!
I ask you a little patience. Now I'll write you step by step with pictures.
1) I create a route. In this case I call it “R.del Garda”.

2) I transfer the route to the Garmin Zumo XT,no WP.

3) In the Internal storage i have 2 route : “ R. del Garda” and “R. del Garda1”.The same.
In the XT internal storage I opened the .gpx file with MapSource, there are 2 routes .

4) These ones are the screenshots of the Zumo

We are sure this is normal?I import in the Trip Planner only one of the 2 routes?
Thank
giuseppe66
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times
Italy

Post by giuseppe66 »

Ho smesso di utilizzare basecamp. Troppo complicato per me. Uso altri software o web per generare i percorsi. Ottengo il file gpx che poi carico od invio allo Zumo XT. Forse ho poca pazienza per imparare basecamp ma non voglio impiegare il mio tempo per un software che Garmin sta abbandonando.

Moderator Added Translation from Google:
I have stopped using basecamp. Too complicated for me. I use other software or web to generate the routes. I get the gpx file which I then upload or send to the Zumo XT. I may have little patience to learn basecamp but I don't want to spend my time on software that Garmin is ditching.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Basecamp is a downloaded program. They haven't updated it for a long time, but it still works for the later Garmin devices that have the Trip Planner App better than any other software that is available. No other software that I have seen covers all of the features that Basecamp Provides.

But its up to individual choice.

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok @Raf - I know a number of ways that this can happen, but not in the way that your images show. I'm having a look at it now - see if I can reproduce it on my 595.

I may be some time ...... :?:

Can you post a copy of the gpx file please ? Send a PM if you wish.

Also - please check -

ITA: Modifica -> Opzioni -> Trasferimento dispositivo
Transfer Options (ITA).jpg
Transfer Options (ITA).jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

UK: Edit -> Options -> Device Transfer

Transfer Options (UK).jpg
Transfer Options (UK).jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 1001 times

The three boxes are NOT ticked.