Map Details

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Map Details

Post by electro_handyman »

CNA2023.1 I have the map loaded on both Basecamp and the XT.
In Basecamp with details at 'highest', it shows less detail than the same map on the XT.
I checked that the zoom level was the same, 120ft or 80ft shows the same on the PC.

Specifically I have noticed some roads/streets in a cemetery that are shown on the XT, but yet in BC not all are shown.

Has anyone else noticed this?
rbentnail
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 201 times
United States of America

Re: Map Details

Post by rbentnail »

Yep, I just went through this yesterday! Try this:

close Base Camp. Open Garmin Express. Give it time. When the 'Connected Devices' page comes up, plug in your XT. Give it more time, the XT should switch mode to what I call 'The Comms Mode' so it looks like a drive on your computer. Then click on the XT picture in Express. If any software updates to the XT or Express come up ignore them for now. Then click "Map Details', then CN NA NT2023.1 Options. Scroll down, you should see 'Install to Computer'. Click that and follow the instructions.

edit: side note: I always have either Garmin Express or Base Camp open, never both at the same time. They seem to have some conflicts going on. Make sure in Express settings you untick the 'Start Express when a device is Connected' box.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
electro_handyman
United States of America

Well, that's how I got the map on the computer in the 1st place, that's how I presume that it is the same identical map... the latest express update wouldn't let me install to the computer until the map was installed on the XT 1st.

I haven't tried BC with the XT connected and utilizing the XT map.... I'll try that next, but not sure why the XT would show more map details than what could be seen in BC with the same map at the same zoom level.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Not sure I fully follow this. Do the roads never appear or is it just that they appear at different zoom levels? If the latter that is just a difference in the way they work, just like the routing algorithm in BaseCamp doesn't exactly match the algorithm in every Garmin device, which explains the differences you sometimes get when comparing routes created in BC to those created on a device.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

electro_handyman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:08 am Well, that's how I got the map on the computer in the 1st place, that's how I presume that it is the same identical map... the latest express update wouldn't let me install to the computer until the map was installed on the XT 1st.

I haven't tried BC with the XT connected and utilizing the XT map.... I'll try that next, but not sure why the XT would show more map details than what could be seen in BC with the same map at the same zoom level.
No, you have it backwards. Seriously, I just went through this!! viewtopic.php?t=1670, specifically the 3rd post on pg 2.

Yes, I saw it too. If you connect your XT, open BC and select the map on the XT you will get all the detail you expect. If you switch back to BC map you'll lose detail. I know, trust me, I just went through this!!

Try it, it won't hurt: shut down Base Camp. What you need to do is not there. Follow the instructions given previously to Install to Computer again in Garmin Express.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
electro_handyman
United States of America

sussamb wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:35 am Not sure I fully follow this. Do the roads never appear or is it just that they appear at different zoom levels? If the latter that is just a difference in the way they work, just like the routing algorithm in BaseCamp doesn't exactly match the algorithm in every Garmin device, which explains the differences you sometimes get when comparing routes created in BC to those created on a device.
What is happening is that both the primary and secondary roads appear on the XT, but only the primary roads are appearing in BC regardless of the zoom level.
I noticed it when looking at my track login in BC, it showed me riding off-road... or no roads. Yet on the XT all the roads are visible, regardless of zoom level.

The map in BC was installed from the XT so I presume they should be the same.

I'm going to try rbentnail's suggestion later today and see if anything changes.
sussamb
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 356 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Can you confirm where you're seeing this? I'd like to take a look.
electro_handyman
United States of America

sussamb wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:22 pm Can you confirm where you're seeing this? I'd like to take a look.
Well, if I can get it to repeat again, I'll post pictures.
I must have had a glitch with the XT regarding the maps, as I also have an OSM mapset available on the XT, though not active, and the OSM map does have these extra roads that the Garmin maps apparently do not.
Since I have powered the XT full off and on, it doesn't appear to repeat itself.
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

electro_handyman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:28 am What is happening is that both the primary and secondary roads appear on the XT, but only the primary roads are appearing in BC regardless of the zoom level.
I noticed it when looking at my track login in BC, it showed me riding off-road... or no roads. Yet on the XT all the roads are visible, regardless of zoom level.

The map in BC was installed from the XT so I presume they should be the same.

I'm going to try rbentnail's suggestion later today and see if anything changes.
Yes, exactly the differences that I saw as well. XT map shows detail, Base Camp does not. Exactly the same. I thought the same thing about maps between the XT and Base Camp but it seems it is not that way.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT